Will the Chiefs Offense remain as explosive in 2019?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 6/25/2019 at 1:32 PM, Chiefmanzada said:

Offense will be much better. Reid and Mahomes got the experience now to only excel and go after the championship. 

No more Conley meaning no more blocking WR.

Watkins, Hill, Kelce, Hardman all to receive while D.Rob and Pringle step it up from the backend of things. 

Reid loves his running backs who can catch. Williams is his man, who had 5 receptions for 66 yards and 2 TD's in that AFC champ game (often overlooked)

Will be a great year on offense, for the defense couldn't get any worse than last year. They cleaned the house. 

All the running backs can catch. It is integral to Reid's offense. I also have a feeling that Sherman will become a bigger part of the offense than just blocking. He also catches well.

8 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

All the running backs can catch. It is integral to Reid's offense. I also have a feeling that Sherman will become a bigger part of the offense than just blocking. He also catches well.

Sherman may be used as another TE type player at times.

53 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Return of LDT is worth more than the downgrade at RB, if any.  This offense could be better if everyone stays healthy.  Only question is who replaces Harris.  

I would hope there are plenty of blocking TE cut as camps wrap up. Fact is Harris often had hands of stone so I think we may miss his veteran leadership, but what he actually brought to the field should be easy to find. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Return of LDT is worth more than the downgrade at RB, if any.  This offense could be better if everyone stays healthy.  Only question is who replaces Harris.  

I have no doubt this offense will be amazing again if we stay relatively healthy. The DVOA numbers even after losing Hunt last year not only had us as elite last year but one of the top handful of offenses all time.  I really doubt more than a quarter of our opponents can hold us under 28. Then again maybe as defense hopefully evolves Andy may pull back the reigns a bit. Not popular but until blowing that Chargers game last year he had the longest winning streak in the NFL after leading by 10. So he does know how to milk a lead if the defense isn't a bottomless pit of sh**. 

Individually I agree LDTs return is huge for sure. As is another year of seasoning for Mahomes. Maybe some questions about the other guard spot. Also is Hyde a real answer for tough short yardage situations. And who's the backup tight end. Is it really Blake the Bulldozer Bell. 

Every year is different. Chiefs offense will be top tiered but will it be "as" explosive as last year? Very difficult to gauge at this point. I'm more interested in knowing whether they will "need" to be as explosive in order to win games. In other words....will we have a defense?

All these questions...that's why we play the games.  That being said, LDT will help.  Anthony Sherman will play a TE role in some cases. Carlos Hyde is more than good enough for short yardage (so is Sherman).  It always comes down to injuries, and no one can predict that.  Depth nearly always decides the thing. We will no doubt be quite surprised by some guys...in a good way.  I'm thinking of people like Okafor and some others, offense and defense.

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

Every year is different. Chiefs offense will be top tiered but will it be "as" explosive as last year? Very difficult to gauge at this point. I'm more interested in knowing whether they will "need" to be as explosive in order to win games. In other words....will we have a defense?

I don't think we will NEED to be as explosive.  Teams will take chances against our defense based on last year's reputation and will often get ruined by ballhawks like Thornhill and by disguised coverages that utilize Mathieu.  Reid will have the luxury of playing more ball control instead of wide-open offense, because the D will be improved.  So, we probably won't have the end of year offensive stats we had last year.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I don't think we will NEED to be as explosive.  Teams will take chances against our defense based on last year's reputation and will often get ruined by ballhawks like Thornhill and by disguised coverages that utilize Mathieu.  Reid will have the luxury of playing more ball control instead of wide-open offense, because the D will be improved.  So, we probably won't have the end of year offensive stats we had last year.

Not everyone is convinced of that. In fact, one of the sports writers over at USA Today said he thought the Chiefs defense didn't get any better...in fact he thought it was worse. Not sure how he came up with that. But the point is...no one knows until they get out there and prove the supporters right or the doubters.

3 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Not everyone is convinced of that. In fact, one of the sports writers over at USA Today said he thought the Chiefs defense didn't get any better...in fact he thought it was worse. Not sure how he came up with that. But the point is...no one knows until they get out there and prove the supporters right or the doubters.

Thank you Mr Obvious 😂  

13 minutes ago, dhitter said:

He probably came up with that because the Chiefs are missing two big names and one who had a career year last season.  Unless one knows how Sutton coached and how weak the LBs and Safeties were, it looks like a lot of talent was lost.  Clark, HB, and Wilson may not be taken into account and Thornhill is an upgrade.  Watts is back and Hitchens should be placed in a role he can excel at.  The defense will be better.  Not top half, maybe, but better. 

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

He probably came up with that because the Chiefs are missing two big names and one who had a career year last season.  Unless one knows how Sutton coached and how weak the LBs and Safeties were, it looks like a lot of talent was lost.  Clark, HB, and Wilson may not be taken into account and Thornhill is an upgrade.  Watts is back and Hitchens should be placed in a role he can excel at.  The defense will be better.  Not top half, maybe, but better. 

Watts, especially could be what is essentially a very big add.  I wouldn't be surprised if he became the force he was drafted to be before his injury.  Surely a guy to watch.

5 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Watts, especially could be what is essentially a very big add.  I wouldn't be surprised if he became the force he was drafted to be before his injury.  Surely a guy to watch.

Agree that Watts could be a solid player.  What is tough to see is how he'll be used.  HB and Thornhill are assumed starters and if Watts is the fifth of sixth DB, then what is his role in the base defense?  Maybe Spags will use three safeties at times, but Watts may have a hard time getting in the game regularly.  I think either Lucas or Sorenson is expendable, but special teams skills may save Sorenson.  

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio suggests the Chiefs may look to trade contract-year WR Tyreek Hill.

The Chiefs plan to resume long-term talks with Hill now that he's been cleared of a suspension. The sides weren't close before his off-field situation, so it's hard to see a deal getting worked out. Hill could push for $20 million annually — potentially pricing himself out of Kansas City. With Mecole Hardman as an in-house fallback, it's possible the Chiefs tag-and-trade Hill next offseason.

Fantatic thinks Watkins will be out and Hill / Hardman the Guys in 2020 and forward. Of course depends on how Hardman looks.

29 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Agree that Watts could be a solid player.  What is tough to see is how he'll be used.  HB and Thornhill are assumed starters and if Watts is the fifth of sixth DB, then what is his role in the base defense?  Maybe Spags will use three safeties at times, but Watts may have a hard time getting in the game regularly.  I think either Lucas or Sorenson is expendable, but special teams skills may save Sorenson.  

I 'm guessing Watts will spend half his snaps on ST and half spelling HB and Thornhill.  I'm surprised that Dirty Dan is still on the team, but he must be a stud on ST.  Toub gets what he wants.  It will be terrible when he leaves to become a heach coach somewhere.

36 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio suggests the Chiefs may look to trade contract-year WR Tyreek Hill.

The Chiefs plan to resume long-term talks with Hill now that he's been cleared of a suspension. The sides weren't close before his off-field situation, so it's hard to see a deal getting worked out. Hill could push for $20 million annually — potentially pricing himself out of Kansas City. With Mecole Hardman as an in-house fallback, it's possible the Chiefs tag-and-trade Hill next offseason.

Fantatic thinks Watkins will be out and Hill / Hardman the Guys in 2020 and forward. Of course depends on how Hardman looks.

Florio is batshit crazy.  The league is getting ready to increase the cap limit. The Chiefs will give Hill a big new contract once they are sure his legal troubles are over.  His legal case is merely inactive, not closed.  If new info or questionable behavior comes in, his case could be re-opened, and he could be out of football.  No team is going to trade for him until they also know he is an absolutely safe investment. The Chiefs have an opportunity to keep the best receiver in football at a big discount.

1 minute ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Florio is batshit crazy.  The league is getting ready to increase the cap limit. The Chiefs will give Hill a big new contract once they are sure his legal troubles are over.  His legal case is merely inactive, not closed.  If new info or questionable behavior comes in, his case could be re-opened, and he could be out of football.  No team is going to trade for him until they also know he is an absolutely safe investment. The Chiefs have an opportunity to keep the best receiver in football at a big discount.

20 million is not a big discount. 16 million with more guarantees overall would be nice. I can see up to 17.5 but we do need Jones done too. Get them 2 done and go after Fuller.

We cant lose more CBs with how it looks now.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

20 million is not a big discount. 16 million with more guarantees overall would be nice. I can see up to 17.5 but we do need Jones done too. Get them 2 done and go after Fuller.

We cant lose more CBs with how it looks now.

no we dont we have plenty of time to see if Jones  is a 1 hit wonder  and can transfer over in this 4-3..not saying he cant or shouldn't  but we have time

21 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

no we dont we have plenty of time to see if Jones  is a 1 hit wonder  and can transfer over in this 4-3..not saying he cant or shouldn't  but we have time

True but if he does very well we screw ourselves. I think there is a middle ground here and we should go for it before the season. He played 43 in college and was drafted because he did well. Another thing is he will be playing next to frank clark and that will make him better too. Again just my opinion

Archived