Will the Chiefs Offense remain as explosive in 2019?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that explosive offense puts a huge strain on the D. They spend a lot of snaps on the field because the can score fast and teams scheme to keep Pat on the sidelines. Depth will be critical on the D line. Luckily I think they is our deepest group. 

He should go lean on I positions. 2 TEs and 3 RBs IMO. Keep more D linemen for the rotation. Just saying, my plan against us would be to slow the game down and grind out long drives. Hell, hide the ball. Hit  the breaker on the lights.  Do anything to keep Pat off the field. 

To me explosive is not about stats, points, tds etc. Its about capability of being explosive when called upon. Chiefs have proved they can score from anywhere on the field. No reason to think they will not have that capability for years to come. It does not mean they should score too fast. Get a lead and slow it down when warranted.

11 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

To me explosive is not about stats, points, tds etc. Its about capability of being explosive when called upon. Chiefs have proved they can score from anywhere on the field. No reason to think they will not have that capability for years to come. It does not mean they should score too fast. Get a lead and slow it down when warranted.

And then hear how Reid took his foot off to early and slowed it down to soon?  I think the offense will do fine and if they get a big lead it helps the defense T off.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

And then hear how Reid took his foot off to early and slowed it down to soon?  I think the offense will do fine and if they get a big lead it helps the defense T off.

Good point. If you have a Ferrari, you might as well drive fast. Otherwise, buy a SmartCar.

It’s a tough call. You don’t want the franchise player getting blind sided and knocked out when you are up 2 scores. At the same time the D could not hold a lead and its hard to go conservative and then turn it back on once the momentum has changed. Hopefully we can take our foot off the gas and protect Pat without giving up a score in every freaking possession this year. 

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Good point. If you have a Ferrari, you might as well drive fast. Otherwise, buy a SmartCar.

Mahomes can pass in a ball control situation.  The Chiefs will have RBs that can catch and Kelce is a possession receiver.  If the defense crowds the box, he'll go over them.  Taking the foot off the gas doesn't mean killing the engine. 

18 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Mahomes can pass in a ball control situation.  The Chiefs will have RBs that can catch and Kelce is a possession receiver.  If the defense crowds the box, he'll go over them.  Taking the foot off the gas doesn't mean killing the engine. 

That's the exact scenario I am counting on.  I know, though, that Reid is loathe to put brakes on Mahomes.  Much of his magic has to do with his intense desire to make big plays and to win.  Reid doesn't want to put a governor on Mahomes' enthusiasm and spark, and I can understand that.  But I am also sure that Mahomes is smart enough to listen to sage advice and execute what he knows is best.

On 7/21/2019 at 7:19 AM, Fmbl2187 said:

That's the exact scenario I am counting on.  I know, though, that Reid is loathe to put brakes on Mahomes.  Much of his magic has to do with his intense desire to make big plays and to win.  Reid doesn't want to put a governor on Mahomes' enthusiasm and spark, and I can understand that.  But I am also sure that Mahomes is smart enough to listen to sage advice and execute what he knows is best.

I still expect Reid to put some brakes on Mahomes at times by designing more efficient run plays. I doubt they were happy to see so many QB hits last year.

On 7/20/2019 at 4:08 PM, kkuenn said:

Until that Chargers loss though, Andy Reid had the longest winning streak in the NFL when his team led by 10 or more. It frustrates people, but with a competent defense he knows how to minimize risk and simply milk out wins. 

Teams will have had 8 months to unpack everything we did last year. We are not as good at RB. At least two starters probably get hurt like they do every year for significant amounts of time. It would be nothing short of amazing if we even achieve 3/4 of what we did last year.

32 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Teams will have had 8 months to unpack everything we did last year. We are not as good at RB. At least two starters probably get hurt like they do every year for significant amounts of time. It would be nothing short of amazing if we even achieve 3/4 of what we did last year.

This is Superbowl Time. Its just asks if as explosive not just stats. This offense is as explosive. Personally I dont care if KC has home field advantage. Get to the dance and give Mahomes a Chance!

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

This is Superbowl Time. Its just asks if as explosive not just stats. This offense is as explosive. Personally I dont care if KC has home field advantage. Get to the dance and give Mahomes a Chance!

I think with the right game plan, and if there is kryptonite no one is thinking we have, our explosiveness can be held back. Anything that manages to slow us down and speed up pressure on Mahomes will limit. Whether they can or not and what new wrinkles Andy may counter with, who knows.

2 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

With an improved defense that can get a couple more stops per game, we don't HAVE to score frantically every time we get the ball.  We can take our time scoring and use up some clock as others have said, to rest the defense a bit.  That is why we won't have the same stats as last year. Last year, every time we didn't score on a possesion, I got that sick feeling that the other guys were going to beat us.  That is not a good feeling. The team must also feel confident that we will still win, even if we get stymied a few times. 

The comment about losing two starters is a non-starter of a comment.  It makes no sense.  Every single damned team in football is going to lose a couple of starters for some period of time.  The same kind of attrition will occur on opponents' defenses.  Even the best team in football is is going to have some guys out. Why would you assume that it is only going to be our offense and not their defense that loses a couple of guys?  A team that has the best depth is as good as a team that has the best starters.  That's just the way it really is.

4 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Ahhh, a ray of sunshine.  Are you also predicting another 8-8 season?  If so, someone has beaten you to it.  ☺️

38 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Ahhh, a ray of sunshine.  Are you also predicting another 8-8 season?  If so, someone has beaten you to it.  ☺️

The comical thing about the 8-8 predictions every year is that we haven’t done it since Ws second year as President.  And that was the only time we’ve gone 8-8 in over three decades.  

Archived