Remembering Joe Delaney, 36 years later

Posted by Mike Florio on June 28, 2019, 5:00 AM EDT
6_8477240-e1561693706834.jpg?w=539&h=303
Getty Images

For many years now, we’ve remembered Joe Delaney on the anniversary of his death. This time, it’s got a slightly different feel, given that the team for which he played — the Chiefs — has had a bit of a rough stretch when it comes to player character issues.

But today the focus is on Delaney. Thirty-six years ago on Saturday, Delaney saw a trio of children drowning, and he acted.

I can’t swim good,” Delaney said, rushing to the water, “‘but I’ve got to save those kids.'”

He save one, but two of them died in the water, with Delaney.

Joe Delaney, who would now be 60, entered the NFL in 1981, rushing for 1,121 yards and helping to lead the Chiefs to their first winning season since 1973. He was 24 when he died.

I’ll never forget Joe Delaney or the sacrifice he made. Every year at this time, I’ll write about Joe Delaney here. Inevitably, people will respond by explaining that they hadn’t previously heard about Joe Delaney.

Every football fan should know about Joe Delaney. Everyone, football fan or not, should know about him.

I was on a roofing crew in PIneville, La. laying shingles on the state hospital when the news came over the radio. 

Just unbelievable.

BTW, my claim to fame is that I played against him in Jr High School.

From time to time I sill run into his family members. Their memories of him are all positive.

14 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

is this the guy who is a baltimore fan and hates all thing KC

No I think I know who you are thinking of but can’t think of the guys name.  Started in 2014 when the Royals swept the Os to go the World Series.  After that he hated all things KC.  

10 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

No I think I know who you are thinking of but can’t think of the guys name.  Started in 2014 when the Royals swept the Os to go the World Series.  After that he hated all things KC.  

yes that is who i was thinking about...is it pete prisco

1 hour ago, Okiechief1 said:

Prisco does seem to not like the Chiefs for whatever reason but I searched and found the dude it was.   Jason Lacanfora or however you spell.   That guy turned it into an obsession hating on the Royals.   

ding ding...winner ...Jason Lacrapenfora

Florio is a West Virginia guy- grew up a Steelers fan so he dislikes everyone except Tom Brady

LaCanfora is a Baltimore guy- Baltimore fans do not even like him. Very negative towards everyone except Tom Brady

Me, on the other hand, grew up a Baltimore Colts fan, disliked the move from here by Irsay and to here by Modell. But it happens. I actually like the Chiefs contrary to popular opinion.

Archived