I am laughing really hard now

8 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

There's a definite downgrade with Conner but he's clearly good enough. Mike Gundy made a statement that James Washington was going to be a lock Pro Bowler in the NFL is he stays healthy. We will see if that emerges this year. Speed is SO important in today's NFL and I'll give Ravens credit for upgrading there and making themselves part of discussion again. Steelers did similar on defense. Browns look poised for a breakout year but a rookie coach handling all those big personalities will be tough. It'll probably work well early or it won't work at all.  

I can agree with some of your points but not all. I do not see the upgrades on Steelers defense especially with a Steve Nelson signing...Artie Burns might get cut and Hayden is older...

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Atlanta lost their safeties, Ricardo Allen and Keanu Neal  to injuries in 2018. Miami mixed their safeties at different positions like Fitzpatrick started 11 games for the Dolphins last season—five at safety, three as the nickelback and three at cornerback. The 3 they used had 8 int's as a group.  Overall the ratings for PFF were not taking the injuries and such into account. I mean if so, how can they say Thomas is an upgrade with him coming off an injury himself? You also have Tony Jefferson coming off ankle surgery, will he be healthy then?

If you go by PFF alone, not just depth as a group for S, but just the best duo would be Rams (with Weddle and his pff ranking) and the Bears over Ravens. So I do not know for best group or best duo at Safety position if you meant one or the other, Ravens are good though on paper right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IshkshuEQjQ

According to PFF going INTO the 2018 season, Miami was ranked 26th so they moved up 2 spots. Atlanta was ranked at #5 meaning they dropped 10 spots due to the injuries.

According to PFF, Thomas still has it

"Pro Football Focus recently ranked its top 50 NFL players of 2019, and Thomas came in high, really high, at No. 18. Here’s what PFF wrote:

Thomas led all qualifying safeties in overall grade (91.3) and coverage grade (90.6) before he suffered a season-ending injury (lower leg fracture) in Week 4 of last season. He showed he can still play at an elite level nine years into his NFL career and should only pick up where he left off in Baltimore if he can stay healthy.

“Among the 70 NFL safeties with at least 2,000 snaps played in the last five years, Thomas ranks first in overall grade (93.6) and coverage grade (97.2). He’s one of the very few free safeties who have dominated as a standalone centerfielder in the NFL, a rare talent by all measures.”

PS- both Thomas and Jefferson were full go's at OTA's

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I can agree with some of your points but not all. I do not see the upgrades on Steelers defense especially with a Steve Nelson signing...Artie Burns might get cut and Hayden is older...

According to PFF going INTO the 2018 season, Miami was ranked 26th so they moved up 2 spots. Atlanta was ranked at #5 meaning they dropped 10 spots due to the injuries.

"Pro Football Focus recently ranked its top 50 NFL players of 2019, and Thomas came in high, really high, at No. 18. Here’s what PFF wrote:

Thomas led all qualifying safeties in overall grade (91.3) and coverage grade (90.6) before he suffered a season-ending injury (lower leg fracture) in Week 4 of last season. He showed he can still play at an elite level nine years into his NFL career and should only pick up where he left off in Baltimore if he can stay healthy.

“Among the 70 NFL safeties with at least 2,000 snaps played in the last five years, Thomas ranks first in overall grade (93.6) and coverage grade (97.2). He’s one of the very few free safeties who have dominated as a standalone centerfielder in the NFL, a rare talent by all measures.”

Can be debated all day who has the better depth group or better duo etc. I was just stating per the youtube video, PFF had Ravens as one of the best, which I agree, but some are better. When will we get that beer? You wont be able to miss me with my red chiefs hat on!

I would never pretend that I wouldn't want Earl Thomas to be playing for the Chiefs.  He's been terrific for a long time.  But he is on the wrong side of 30 and coming back from a pretty serious injury.  He hasn't played a full season in 3 years and he's averaging less than 10 games a year since 2015.  He will probably be perfectly fine for the Ravens, but it's not a for sure thing. 

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Earl Thomas is a stud (assuming he recovers with no issues) and as such why I'm still bitter the Ravens came in with big contract and kept us from having the best safety duo in the NFL. 

57 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Kind of my logic as well. They are a figure it out type of organization around a HOF QB.  The Chiefs scored over 37 PPG against that division last year which makes it all really hard to figure out. Could be a league in real transition from what we know. But until proven otherwise I'll stick with the most consistent team and QB. 

.Week 2-- 37 -@ Browns #30 Defense 

Week 7-- 45- at home Bengals #32 Defense

Week 9-- 42- @ Pittsburgh #6 Defense

Week 14-- 27 at Home- Ravens #1 Defense  

Not really hard to figure out- by week 14, the best defense in the league had enough tape on Mahomes to not stop him, but really slow him down. A miracle on a 4th and 9 won the game. Otherwise its a stop and Ravens run out the clock.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Can be debated all day who has the better depth group or better duo etc. I was just stating per the youtube video, PFF had Ravens as one of the best, which I agree, but some are better. When will we get that beer? You wont be able to miss me with my red chiefs hat on!

Ha ha! Soon! shoot me a PM with your availability not this weekend but the following.

Just now, Handswarmer said:

Ha ha! Soon! shoot me a PM with your availability not this weekend but the following.

lol, I will be out of town until 10 August by then. We may just have to make it a game day drink then!

31 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Not really hard to figure out- by week 14, the best defense in the league had enough tape on Mahomes to not stop him, but really slow him down. A miracle on a 4th and 9 won the game. Otherwise its a stop and Ravens run out the clock.

We played the Steelers week 2.  The Browns week 9. 

The 3 games against the Browns, Bengals and Steelers we had Watkins, who averaged 80 yards a game during those games.  He was out for the Ravens.  And it was a week after cutting Kareem Hunt.  I don't think you can ignore those two things when you say you slowed down Mahomes.  He had a lot less weapons against you. 

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Mahomes threw for 377 yards  (thats more 50 more than the Ravens had in total offense), so if that's not really slowing him down. LOL We really struggled converting short yardage situations in the second half though as we were still trying to work out the post Kareem Hunt era running game. And Butker had 2 of his 4 missed FGs all season in that game to bail the Ravens out from giving up 30 plus like everyone else in the North. But you still gave up 450 yards and 30 First Downs. 

So again on point the numbers the Chiefs put up against everyone in that division averaging almost exactly 500 yards per game was simply astounding. Both from a Chiefs offensive perspective and also from what we normally expect from those defenses outside of Cleveland. 

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

We played the Steelers week 2.  The Browns week 9. 

The 3 games against the Browns, Bengals and Steelers we had Watkins, who averaged 80 yards a game during those games.  He was out for the Ravens.  And it was a week after cutting Kareem Hunt.  I don't think you can ignore those two things when you say you slowed down Mahomes.  He had a lot less weapons against you. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Mahomes threw for 377 yards  (thats more 50 more than the Ravens had in total offense), so if that's not really slowing him down. LOL We really struggled converting short yardage situations in the second half though as we were still trying to work out the post Kareem Hunt era running game. And Butker had 2 of his 4 missed FGs all season in that game to bail the Ravens out from giving up 30 plus like everyone else in the North. But you still gave up 450 yards and 30 First Downs. 

So again on point the numbers the Chiefs put up against everyone in that division averaging almost exactly 500 yards per game was simply astounding. Both from a Chiefs offensive perspective and also from what we normally expect from those defenses outside of Cleveland. 

You guys have made some good points, but that game looked more tougher than the stats indicated from what I remember. The problem I seen was the Chiefs run defense giving up nearly 200 yards on the ground. I just hope that Spags will be able to shore that side of the football up some. 

Agreed, that having Hunt & Watkins certainly would have helped.

46 minutes ago, qnet said:

Agreed, that having Hunt & Watkins certainly would have helped.

Pretty amazing really.  How many teams in this league could lose the NFLs leading rusher and their high profile free agent WR and just shrug it off and still light up the leagues number 1 defense for 450 yards and 30 first downs. 

On 7/8/2019 at 7:15 PM, Mloe68 said:

Pretty amazing really.  How many teams in this league could lose the NFLs leading rusher and their high profile free agent WR and just shrug it off and still light up the leagues number 1 defense for 450 yards and 30 first downs. 

Again, like in 2003, yards gained mean nothing. Its points scored that do.

You had one OT game in 2018, at home, vs a rookie QB making his 5th NFL start and you came within one PI of losing it.

14 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

You had one OT game in 2018, at home, vs a rookie QB making his 5th NFL start and you came within one PI of losing it.

OR you could look at it that we were 2 made FGs from not having to need overtime at all........

27 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

And we were on 4th and 9 away from holding on. 

Easily done both ways, can't wait to talk over a beer!

Beer for sure. Your easily done both ways, I was doing just this too from you prior comment that included....... one PI of losing it ..... comment. We are on the same page.

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

And we were on 4th and 9 away from holding on.

Easily done both ways, can't wait to talk over a beer!

If one picks out just one moment in most games, the outcome could be reversed.  That's like saying the Chiefs were only a few inches from being in the SB last winter or Tom Watson was one short putt from winning the Open one more time.  The Chiefs made a play, the Ravens didn't stop it.  That's the nature of any close game.  Quit chur whinin'.  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

If one picks out just one moment in most games, the outcome could be reversed.  That's like saying the Chiefs were only a few inches from being in the SB last winter or Tom Watson was one short putt from winning the Open one more time.  The Chiefs made a play, the Ravens didn't stop it.  That's the nature of any close game.  Quit chur whinin'.  

That is so true.  :(

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

If you shred a defense for a whopping thirty first downs, I’m betting you win most of the time. As we did. And by the way it was only our QBs 14th career start  

12 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Man that Watson missed putt was brutal. 

AFC as a whole is going to be very intriguing this year except for the East. I have little confidence in the Bills, Dolphins or Jets to overtake the Pats. That has been an exercise in futility for longer than I can remember. Minus the occasional blip...how can these teams be so bad for so long? Pats have it so easy it hasn't been fair.

The North will be intriguing. Ravens will continue to be a solid team. Not sure they win the division. Steelers are one of those franchises that is good way more than they are bad. Should bounce back and be in the mix. And of course the Browns are everyone's darling pick to steal a division. I think they will be fun but not gonna jump on that train just yet.

The South I could see scenarios where any one of the 4 teams could win. I think that division will be tightest from top to bottom. Giving the nod to the Colts but expect some bounce back by the Jags and the Texans have solid pieces to win. Titans have been 9-7 the past 3 years. A bounce here or there and they are a 10-6 team. 

And for the beloved West. Chiefs...Chiefs...Chiefs. Until the Chargers actually win the West I cannot give it to them. It's been since 2009 and it seems that the Chargers have been the sexy pick that past few years and still not able to get it done. Denver and Raiders fight it out for 3rd/4th but should be improved. Division will be tighter overall this year IMO.

11 minutes ago, dhitter said:

And for the beloved West. Chiefs...Chiefs...Chiefs. Until the Chargers actually win the West I cannot give it to them. It's been since 2009 and it seems that the Chargers have been the sexy pick that past few years and still not able to get it done. Denver and Raiders fight it out for 3rd/4th but should be improved. Division will be tighter overall this year IMO.

The Chiefs should be favorites just based on their offense, but the Chargers have a short window to win it all and they'll be all in for this season.  Injuries will probably be the difference between the teams.  Of course, there's always the chance the Chiefs D will improve enough to make them tougher than last year. 

Archived