Remaining free agents

Thoughts? I know there will be cuts too but some can be had now out of this group. They say Crabtree to us but I would rather give a young WR a chance unless we find out Hill is gone longer than expected. Another thing is Kelvin Benjamin, why not give him a go at TE? 6'5" and 245 pounder. He might be worth a shot and much better than what we have now backing up Kelce.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035489/article/2019-nfl-season-finding-homes-for-top-remaining-free-agents

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Thoughts? I know there will be cuts too but some can be had now out of this group. They say Crabtree to us but I would rather give a young WR a chance unless we find out Hill is gone longer than expected. Another thing is Kelvin Benjamin, why not give him a go at TE? 6'5" and 245 pounder. He might be worth a shot and much better than what we have now backing up Kelce.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035489/article/2019-nfl-season-finding-homes-for-top-remaining-free-agents

Benjamin at TE would be intriguing. I do have questions. Would he sign with a team knowing he is being converted to TE or does he still feel he has something to offer as a WR?

Also...can he block and play special teams effectively because he will have to do both on this team. I didn't necessarily have as much an issue with D Harris as a TE...but he got called for so many holding penalties on returns it made me sick.

The national media seems to have no clue about the Hill situation.  They constantly talk about the need for any cast off WR since Hill's availability is up in the air.  The Chiefs can weather a two to four game suspension of Hill and they have Watson, their top draft choice, Robinson, Dieter, Pringle, Kemp, and a few others to fill in until Hill returns.  How can a FA do better if Hill is good to go after four weeks?  No FA is going to step into Reid's system in the first few weeks. 

I don’t know if I am sold on the WRs behind Watkins. A rookie and a lot of guys who shouldn’t be #2s or #3s on most rosters. Robinson is the only guy to have some proven chemistry with Mahomes, and I don’t see him as much beyond a low level #3. I mean, we can survive a very short stretch, but if we don’t have Watkins and Hill together long chunks, it may be pretty rough. Expect Watkins to get hurt at some point.

I wouldn't mind Crabtree to us. We have a lot of young guys but we have seen too many of them giving us hope only to let us down when mattered. A proven vet who's a solid possession guy could be a nice addition to the mix. It would help take care of the injury situation as well (aka Watkins). 

The only way I take a flyer on Crabtree, if I am Veach, is if Hill is out 6+ games. Yes, I understand that Watkins is a health risk but I'm more concerned that we have enough footballs to go around. I get the sense if Crabtree doesn't get enough balls, he will be a locker room problem. Maybe I'm wrong. I always thought they didn't use Conley enough in the offense due to Kelce, Hill and Watkins getting the lion's share of the balls. I think Crabtree would fall into the same predicament. He won't start over Hill and Watkins, that's just a fact. Particularly since Reid wants to get Hardeman involved early and often in the offense. I don't know why people are even talking about a WR when TE is a much bigger need.

There was a good article on Robinson today in The Athletic.  He and Mahomes have been working on things themselves and the coaches are concentrating on coaching him up for a bigger role, essentially a replacement for Conley.  No surprise there, but Robinson is faster and has good rapport with Mahomes when Pat breaks the pocket and has to improvise.  Only thing missing from the loss of Conley is the leadership role he had in the WR room.  Maybe Watson can take over that role. 

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

There was a good article on Robinson today in The Athletic.  He and Mahomes have been working on things themselves and the coaches are concentrating on coaching him up for a bigger role, essentially a replacement for Conley.  No surprise there, but Robinson is faster and has good rapport with Mahomes when Pat breaks the pocket and has to improvise.  Only thing missing from the loss of Conley is the leadership role he had in the WR room.  Maybe Watson can take over that role. 

Conley will be missed for blocking too.

33 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Robinson is not faster than Conley.  Not even close.  Better YAC and during improv though.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Kelvin Benjamin is the one that has intrigued people before and myself as TE. Seeing he is still available.....

The thing working against that scenario is probably blocking. I’ve heard that Benjamin has a history of dropsies but I wouldn’t think he could be any worse than Harris. It may just come down to his ego too. 

“Hey, I’m a wideout, so I have no desire to be a lowly TE!” He played for Andy last year so the fact they haven’t reached out might also be telling. He can’t get separation from CBs anymore, but he might be lethal against Safeties or LBs.

10 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Conley may have had a fast 40 time but he played SLOW

He just had bad COD skills.  Robinson was the anti-Conley.  Good COD but not nearly as fast.  Part of why we all think Conley was slow was the routes we had him run.  We used him a lot as a possession guy, lots of routes inside 10 yards.   

Based on his age and loss of production the past few years what would be a reasonable level of expectation from Crabtree if the Chiefs did make such a move? 50 receptions. Maybe 600 yards. That might be generous. We could get close to that from Hardman I would think if Andy really wanted to integrate him into the offense cuz Tyreek had 61 catches and 593 yards his 1st year and that was with Alex Smith.

TE2 and CB are where we need to focus. We have good depth and competition at literally every other spot except kicker (which we dont need). Even punter isan area of competition. And as much as I love Colquitt, if Fox can take his job and save some cap space...so be it.

30 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

He wasn't an issue in Baltimore when Jackson took over. Solid in the Locker room.

Good to know. I still don't know if the signing of a vet is the proper move here. The Chiefs have a lot of young guys they want to get a serious look at and Crabtree would undoubtedly take one of those spots. The main reason to do so is provide leadership and teaching ability in the WR  room. You would think that Watkins could and would want to take on that role after Conley exited.  I do like Crabtree's ability to get open in the red zone and he still runs great routes. He could provide another security blanket (besides Kelce) to move the chains on 3rd down.

3 minutes ago, Dan4pres said:

Good to know. I still don't know if the signing of a vet is the proper move here. The Chiefs have a lot of young guys they want to get a serious look at and Crabtree would undoubtedly take one of those spots. The main reason to do so is provide leadership and teaching ability in the WR  room. You would think that Watkins could and would want to take on that role after Conley exited.  I do like Crabtree's ability to get open in the red zone and he still runs great routes. He could provide another security blanket (besides Kelce) to move the chains on 3rd down.

He had some drop issues early in the season...

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

TE2 and CB are where we need to focus. We have good depth and competition at literally every other spot except kicker (which we dont need). Even punter isan area of competition. And as much as I love Colquitt, if Fox can take his job and save some cap space...so be it.

Exactly the way I see it.  The Chiefs whiffed in the draft on TE and CB and both are areas of need.  Most other positions have enough quality that it's hard to see how they improve with players off the scrap heap.

It will be interesting to see how Conley fares this year. From what I've heard, Jax really loved him in OTAs. Either he will blossom being one of the main guys or he will turn out to be just another guy with a great skill set but just doesn't have that special thing to be a great player. I always liked the guy. You have to appreciate a WR who does the little stuff like block and take less balls/clear coverage so other guys can make the big plays. 

9 minutes ago, Dan4pres said:

It will be interesting to see how Conley fares this year. From what I've heard, Jax really loved him in OTAs. Either he will blossom being one of the main guys or he will turn out to be just another guy with a great skill set but just doesn't have that special thing to be a great player. I always liked the guy. You have to appreciate a WR who does the little stuff like block and take less balls/clear coverage so other guys can make the big plays. 

Hope he goes Joe Horn

Archived