Remaining free agents

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

TE2 and CB are where we need to focus. We have good depth and competition at literally every other spot except kicker (which we dont need). Even punter isan area of competition. And as much as I love Colquitt, if Fox can take his job and save some cap space...so be it.

Agree completely. Now that we are pretty confident Tyreek won't be suspended long term (now watch Goodell screw him), I feel good about the position. I mean how many teams have two guys that are truly capable of plus 1,000 yard, 10 TD type seasons like we do. We've replaced the known mediocrity of Conley with a potential higher upside guy in Hardman. And another year of experience should make Robinson better.  If someone gets hurt sure we can pluck one of the free agents. But the corner position is just riddled with questions. Same with TE beyond Kelce although as we pointed out before Andy can generally get any half way decent TE to produce here. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Agree completely. Now that we are pretty confident Tyreek won't be suspended long term (now watch Goodell screw him), I feel good about the position. I mean how many teams have two guys that are truly capable of plus 1,000 yard, 10 TD type seasons like we do. We've replaced the known mediocrity of Conley with a potential higher upside guy in Hardman. And another year of experience should make Robinson better.  If someone gets hurt sure we can pluck one of the free agents. But the corner position is just riddled with questions. Same with TE beyond Kelce although as we pointed out before Andy can generally get any half way decent TE to produce here. 

TE and CB are probably okay as long as no one gets injured, but how many seasons go by with that happening.  Even with a healthy Kelce, there's no obvious #2 so unless someone emerges in TC, that could be a problem in some formations.  Who knows who the fourth and fifth CB will be.  T. Smith is gone in my predicted final roster and Fenton's ability is unknown.  Maybe the best solution is to pencil in one of the Safeties to move to CB in the nickle if any of the top three CBs go down.

41 minutes ago, jetlord said:

TE and CB are probably okay as long as no one gets injured, but how many seasons go by with that happening.  Even with a healthy Kelce, there's no obvious #2 so unless someone emerges in TC, that could be a problem in some formations.  Who knows who the fourth and fifth CB will be.  T. Smith is gone in my predicted final roster and Fenton's ability is unknown.  Maybe the best solution is to pencil in one of the Safeties to move to CB in the nickle if any of the top three CBs go down.

Problem at corner is we have legit questions with the starters as well. Fuller is great in the slot but Breeland only played well sporadically at the end of last year as he came back from injury. Ward has what, four career starts?  Beyond that are even bigger question marks. This position is just begging Veach to address it for real. I wouldn't rule out the Patrick Peterson deal still happening we have that many questions there. I'd like to think they saw something during the offseason that inspired tangible confidence. And maybe the did. But man were the reports good on Amerson last offseason until he had to actually play in a game. 

We do have several safeties capable of handling a dime corner type role. I guess from that standpoint we are a little better off than last year. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

Problem at corner is we have legit questions with the starters as well. Fuller is great in the slot but Breeland only played well sporadically at the end of last year as he came back from injury. Ward has what, four career starts?  Beyond that are even bigger question marks. This position is just begging Veach to address it for real. I wouldn't rule out the Patrick Peterson deal still happening we have that many questions there. I'd like to think they saw something during the offseason that inspired tangible confidence. And maybe the did. But man were the reports good on Amerson last offseason until he had to actually play in a game. 

Spags reportedly liked what he saw in Ward in films of the last four games of last season.  Breeland looked good in the second half of the season and can play when/if healthy.  Fuller is solid.  So it's easy to be sold on the starters but beyond that, it's really thin.  It's hard to imagine who the fourth and fifth CBs will be. 

48 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Spags reportedly liked what he saw in Ward in films of the last four games of last season.  Breeland looked good in the second half of the season and can play when/if healthy.  Fuller is solid.  So it's easy to be sold on the starters but beyond that, it's really thin.  It's hard to imagine who the fourth and fifth CBs will be. 

Nailed it Jet

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Spags like size in his corners and the tape breakdown I've read about also really reflected well on Ward. But again its a VERY small sample size and Marcus Cooper looked similarly effective but was really exposed a year later. Breeland posted a sub 60 PFF rating last year and really only played well once. Even at his best he really hasn't proven himself any upgrade over Nelson. At least he is better suited outside which I guess makes him a better fit though with Fuller and Mathieu likely to man the nickel roles. Still just too many questions in this overall group for a team competing for a Super Bowl in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Spags like size in his corners and the tape breakdown I've read about also really reflected well on Ward. But again its a VERY small sample size and Marcus Cooper looked similarly effective but was really exposed a year later. Breeland posted a sub 60 PFF rating last year and really only played well once. Even at his best he really hasn't proven himself any upgrade over Nelson. At least he is better suited outside which I guess makes him a better fit though with Fuller and Mathieu likely to man the nickel roles. Still just too many questions in this overall group for a team competing for a Super Bowl in my opinion. 

Great point. Cooper was very good that first year. Huge surprise. But then couldn’t repeat. Other guys like Brandon Carr were huge surprise starters to me and did back it up. He is not what he was with the Chiefs but still lacing up at age 33.

We really need Ward to be Carr and not Cooper. I am cautiously optimistic about him.

23 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I thought Breeland played well the last half of the year.  Not surprising as he got healed up from an injury previously.   

I was never a fan of Nelson regardless of what his PFF numbers said.   

I'm with you on that to me pff and the eye ball test didn't match up.

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

Great point. Cooper was very good that first year. Huge surprise. But then couldn’t repeat. Other guys like Brandon Carr were huge surprise starters to me and did back it up. He is not what he was with the Chiefs but still lacing up at age 33. 

We really need Ward to be Carr and not Cooper. I am cautiously optimistic about him.

I am cautiously optimistic with Ward as well.  He got eaten up in the Seattle game and was thrown to the wolves off the bat.  After the first game he seemed to have things figured out. 

Anything is going to be better than trotting Scandrick, Nelson, and Parker out there in the secondary.  I have nothing against those guys as people, they just sucked as pros last year.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I thought Breeland played well the last half of the year.  Not surprising as he got healed up from an injury previously.   

I was never a fan of Nelson regardless of what his PFF numbers said.   

He didn’t. He was inconsistent and overall very average at best.  It’s why he only got 1 year for 5 million while Nelson got 3 years and 25 million. Not to be all negative about him, Breeland was the highest graded corner in the NFL week 15 I believe. So skills are there.  And again his best grades come when he works outside, which is a good fit.  Still, he’s a question mark. 

2 hours ago, Troyofoc said:

I'm with you on that to me pff and the eye ball test didn't match up.

You can't trust the eyeball test on corners.  We're watching the broadcast.  The only time they show the corners is if they're in the play.  Except for a few replays where they're breaking down coverage you're not gonna notice.  I guess maybe  if you're at the game and doing nothing but focus on one corner but absolutely zero people do that.  The grades are based on coaches tape breakdowns at least 

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

He didn’t. He was inconsistent and overall very average at best.  It’s why he only got 1 year for 5 million while Nelson got 3 years and 25 million. Not to be all negative about him, Breeland was the highest graded corner in the NFL week 15 I believe. So skills are there.  And again his best grades come when he works outside, which is a good fit.  Still, he’s a question mark. 

Yeah I agree.  While I do think Nelson was better than many fans, I'm not as high on him as PFF was.  That's a good contract for an average corner. 

I'm also not super high on Breeland.  We'll see.  He's rebounding from that injury but he's been very inconsistent over his career.

This free agent list was last updated on 7/13/19:  https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2019-nfl-free-agents-list/

As you can imagine, there's not much to write home about for any position.

As we progress through training camp and get down to cut day, we could see some movement as teams get more acquainted with their own rosters.  

There's always that handful of surprise cuts teams make and maybe a CB or TE could get released that we can't look at right now.

As of now, Morris Claiborne is the highest rated CB available.  I'm not familiar with his skill set or how well he played last year, I'm guessing not very well but could be an option for a cheaper, experienced 4th CB.  Or even Sam Shields.

I wonder if Antonio Gates or Austin Seferian-Jenkins would be considered by KC as the #2 TE option?  Seferian-Jenkins is still only 26 years old.

i'm just not sure why we're all that concerned about the #2 tight end.  if Kelce gets hurt for an extended time, we were not gonna replace his production with Incompletrius Harris and we're not going to replace his production with what we have now.  If he doesn't get hurt, then is it really that hard to replace Harris' production? 

We love to focus on his shortcomings but Nelson was a decent CB for the most part and has been mostly healthy throughout his career. Not sure if they are considering him outside but he got a decent deal for a NB. Breeland has talent but wants a multi-year deal which won't come with his injury history. Besides he's not that much better than Nelson in terms of consistency, so I don't think there's anything wrong with Nelson getting a longer term deal with more money as he has somewhat proven few things. 

42 minutes ago, sith13 said:

We love to focus on his shortcomings but Nelson was a decent CB for the most part and has been mostly healthy throughout his career. Not sure if they are considering him outside but he got a decent deal for a NB. Breeland has talent but wants a multi-year deal which won't come with his injury history. Besides he's not that much better than Nelson in terms of consistency, so I don't think there's anything wrong with Nelson getting a longer term deal with more money as he has somewhat proven few things. 

If Nelson learns to turn his head around he would become deadly!

Just now, kkuenn said:

If Nelson learns to turn his head around he would become deadly!

They are probably counting on it. He was turning his head to begin the season, did really well against some WRs like Antonio Brown but seemed to regress considerably as season went along, which is quite unusual in contract seasons. 

Archived