NFL decides not to discipline Tyreek Hill

Posted by Mike Florio on July 19, 2019, 10:09 AM EDT
gettyimages-1093361648-e1563545310527.jp
Getty Images

Three months after the emergence of an audio recording that prompted the Chiefs to ban receiver Tyreek Hill from the balance of the offseason program, the NFL has decided to take no action against Hill.

The league has announced that Hill will not be disciplined under the Personal Conduct Policy.

The NFL’s statement focuses on the child-abuse investigation, saying nothing about the apparent threat made to Crystal Espinal in the audio that surface an hour before the start of the 2019 draft. “You need to be terrified of me too, bitch,” Hill said to Espinal during an argument regarding whether their young son respects Hill or is terrified of him.

It’s currently unclear why the league opted not to discipline Hill for that comment, or whether the league even considered the possibility. What is clear is that Hill is clear to return to the Chiefs, join his teammates at training camp, and move forward with the final season of his rookie contract.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, basically the NFL is saying they cannot impose discipline because

-all of the evidence uncovered has been sealed by the court

-the NFL has been assured the child is safe by the Johnson County Dept of Children and Family.

-"based on the evidence presently available" they cannot discipline Hill.

- but he is one the hook in case "If further information becomes available..." so he should hope they don't and he better walk the line.

17 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

-the NFL has been assured the child is safe by the Johnson County Dept of Children and Family.

- but he is one the hook in case "If further information becomes available..." so he should hope they don't and he better walk the line.

Said nothing about sealed information or at least I didn’t read that. Sorry Hands we all know you wanted Hill to get a 4 game suspension! DOH!

It's funny how Florio does not mention the entire 11 minute audio and just the doctored up statement. Had Hill not made that one statement, I wonder how people would have looked at this situation. This will follow the Chiefs for a long time. 

25 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

No charges were filed, so no suspension. Why is that so hard fo you to understand?

It did say that the court proceedings were confidential and weren’t shared with the NFL and the court sealed the records.  2nd paragraph.  

Sounds like anything to do with their kid they can’t really do anything about cause any evidence is sealed and since no charges were filed n no evidence exists against Hill nothing could be done.   That leaves the tape as the only thing they could really go after him for and that one statement didn’t warrant a suspension.  

3 minutes ago, wilkie said:

From strictly a football perspective this is great news for the Chiefs

It's great news in every perspective.  Law enforcement and the NFL both did extensive investigations and decided not to discipline Tyreek.  That is a much better than both investigating and both finding evidence that he is a child abuser. 

The lack of charges is probably the key as well as the timing. Saying something to your fiancee during a heated argument is probably not enough to discipline a player. That being said I'm pretty sure he would be suspended while the investigation continues if the whole thing happened during the season. So in that regard we are lucky and I think Chiefs did the right thing by suspending him during the investigation and not talking about the whole thing. 

This is exactly what the “underground” media who has shown a far more extensive knowledge of the entirety of this situation has been saying for weeks.  They nailed it! Man did this thing go full circle in two months.  And likewise has this further exposed the lazy mainstream media.  No doubt the blowback will be large but who cares.  

22 minutes ago, AppalachianChief said:

Said nothing about sealed information or at least I didn’t read that. Sorry Hands we all know you wanted Hill to get a 4 game suspension! DOH!

Sigh....

The league issued the following statement:

"Over the past four months, we have conducted a comprehensive investigation of allegations regarding Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill. Throughout this investigation, the NFL's primary concern has been the well-being of the child. Our understanding is that the child is safe and that the child's ongoing care is being directed and monitored by the Johnson County District Court and the Johnson County Department for Children and Families.

"In conducting our investigation, we have taken great care to ensure that we do not interfere with the county's proceedings or compromise the privacy or welfare of the child in any way. The information developed in the court proceeding is confidential and has not been shared with us, and the court has sealed all law enforcement records. Local law enforcement authorities have publicly advised that the available evidence does not permit them to determine who caused the child's injuries.

"Similarly, based on the evidence presently available, the NFL cannot conclude that Mr. Hill violated the Personal Conduct Policy. Accordingly, he may attend Kansas City's training camp and participate in all club activities. He has been and will continue to be subject to conditions set forth by the District Court, Commissioner Goodell, and the Chiefs, which include clinical evaluation and therapeutic intervention.

"If further information becomes available through law enforcement, the pending court proceeding, or other sources, we will promptly consider it and take all appropriate steps at that time."

I really thought he would get a short suspension for the audio and I was ready to live with that as a fan.

I agree that obviously it's good for the Chiefs from an on-field perspective, and I agree with reesebobby that it's also good in general in the sense that there isn't evidence he abused the child.  In a vacuum, inconclusive evidence has to be considered better than conclusive evidence that the child was abused.

I still have concerns about how Hill and Espinal discipline the child.  I no longer know what to think about the 2014 incident.  Etc.

But at least we can all move on for now, especially if the child truly is safe.

30 minutes ago, Wolfscall said:

No charges were filed, so no suspension. Why is that so hard fo you to understand?

I understood it just fine. It was more for the "Tyreek never did anything wrong and you were all wrong" crowd

No charges filed in Elliot's case but a suspension was issued.

1 minute ago, Handswarmer said:

I understood it just fine. It was more for the "Tyreek never did anything wrong and you were all wrong" crowd

I think you are taking a sentence and making it say what you want it to.  Yes the court records are not public.  But that doesn't mean Tyreek did something wrong.  It could mean that the court records are not public and Tyreek didn't do anything wrong.  Sealed does not mean anything more than they are sealed like they always are.

3 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I think you are taking a sentence and making it say what you want it to.  Yes the court records are not public.  But that doesn't mean Tyreek did something wrong.  It could mean that the court records are not public and Tyreek didn't do anything wrong.  Sealed does not mean anything more than they are sealed like they always are.

Geezus- what I wrote was that because the records are sealed they cannot impose discipline. Nothing more. I never commented on what is IN the sealed court records.

1 minute ago, Handswarmer said:

Geezus- what I wrote was that because the records are sealed they cannot impose discipline. Nothing more. I never commented on what is IN the sealed court records.

You said:

"So, basically the NFL is saying they cannot impose discipline because

-all of the evidence uncovered has been sealed by the court"

That implies there would be discipline if the evidence wasn't sealed by the court. 

3 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

You said:

That implies there would be discipline if the evidence wasn't sealed by the court. 

FFS- no it doesn't. It means that no one knows what is in the sealed case docs.

18 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Similarly, based on the evidence presently available, the NFL cannot conclude that Mr. Hill violated the Personal Conduct Policy.

9 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

You said:

I do actually have to take Hands' side here...I understand what he is saying, it doesn't necessarily imply that there would be discipline if the evidence was unsealed.  It's saying, "the only potential evidence is sealed and ultimately we can't make a determination."

On the other hand...Hands consistently pointed out that the NFL didn't need evidence, the optics were bad enough, etc., and that didn't bear out in this case.  I think this probably shows that Goodell is more scared of the NFLPA than he has been in the past (ahead of labor negotiations), and/or that they truly felt that what evidence they had didn't merit a suspension.

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

I do actually have to take Hands' side here...I understand what he is saying, it doesn't necessarily imply that there would be discipline if the evidence was unsealed.  It's saying, "the only potential evidence is sealed and ultimately we can't make a determination."

On the other hand...Hands' consistently pointed out that the NFL didn't need evidence, the optics were bad enough, etc., and that didn't bear out in this case.  I think this probably shows that Goodell is more scared of the NFLPA than he has been in the past (ahead of labor negotiations), and/or that they truly felt that what evidence they had didn't merit a suspension.

I have a Bruce Lee and you will respect my authoritah!

Archived