Chiefs Linebackers are ?

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Go watch the goal line plays vs the Pats in the AFC Title game and you see Hitchens frozen on his heels being actually hit by the RB. Then go watch short yardage plays when he was in Dallas. You saw one of the most physical hard hitting linebackers in football. You’d swear there’s  almost no way that’s the same guy.   

Welk if anybody could take the instinct and aggression out of someones game, it was Werthers.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

With a 17.7 million dollar dead cap number? I dont think so. He may get benched, but hes not getting cut when they are upside down in his contract like that. His dead money is over 8 million dollars more than his cap hit.

Hitchens was a solid player and one of their most physical hitters for four years in Dallas. He gets here and can’t play a lick.  Doesn’t add up. But if it continues Veach built the contract to get us out after this year.  

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

With a 17.7 million dollar dead cap number? I dont think so. He may get benched, but hes not getting cut when they are upside down in his contract like that. His dead money is over 8 million dollars more than his 2019 cap hit.

His job on the line =! Cut in a month

12 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

So one point I keep reading is that the d-line was so poor that linebackers did not have a chance to make plays. This seems to make sense. What say you?

LBs job is to be the stoppers in a 34 defense. They are to fill gaps and such. Sutton seemed to have them play back and react instead of being proactive and attacking. This allowed the blockers to get to the 2nd level. The d line sucked because it was 5 on 3 blocking a lot of the times. 43 will be better suited for the players we have now and what they were attaining before the switch even happened.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

He has no history of success in 4-3 and actually no success in any system besides his first season here. I don't know about the depth at LB but wouldn't be surprised to see him cut. 

Ragland will be a part time player even if he is the starting MLB.  Probably only about 20% of the total snaps.  We'll rarely be in base.  Nickel should probably be considered the base defense anymore, and in Spags system the Will slides to MLB and the nickel LB comes in.  So usually it will be Hitch and either Lee or DOD

3 hours ago, FANATIC said:

So one point I keep reading is that the d-line was so poor that linebackers did not have a chance to make plays. This seems to make sense. What say you?

I would agree, but word it differently. Most of the time we only had 2 linemen in there. Those 2 can play out of their mind, but there is still only two of them. The Dline as a while be bad.

3 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Sort of. 

Allen Bailey was a big liability that made their jobs harder (for long stretches), yes.  They were also left out to try in a sense, since Jones had no interest in committing to the run.

14 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Sort of. 

Allen Bailey was a big liability that made their jobs harder (for long stretches), yes.  They were also left out to try in a sense, since Jones had no interest in committing to the run.

Jones not playing the run? Heard that before. So why would this guy get the big bucks? Maybe this is why KC is reluctant to give it to him? It boggles my mind that anyone on that defense should get a big contract. Lets see what he and they do this year. 

Hard to know if wethers was telling him to totally sell out to stop the pass, or he was just freelancing and figured out that sacks creates cash.

I think the Chiefs are handling this negotiation fine, though.  There's not a lot of tactics Jones can use for long, without potentially really limiting his future earnings.  This certainly isn't the same thing like the the Bell hold out last year.

It would make sense to get him locked in early before the new CBA if they can get it for the right guaranteed money.  Otherwise, they can hold onto him for 3 years at a fair figure.

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Hard to know if wethers was telling him to totally sell out to stop the pass, or he was just freelancing and figured out that sacks creates cash.

I think the Chiefs are handling this negotiation fine, though.  There's not a lot of tactics Jones can use for long, without potentially really limiting his future earnings.  This certainly isn't the same thing like the the Bell hold out last year.

It would make sense to get him locked in early before the new CBA if they can get it for the right guaranteed money.  Otherwise, they can hold onto him for 3 years at a fair figure.

30 mins ago somebody handed me a Werthers candy and I just bust out laughing.  People thought i was a maniac.

I think it is very much the fashion right now to say Hitchens was terrible. Hitch was the worst LB in the league.  92nd out of 92.

This is not realistic. PFF is telling me that the guy that just set the Chiefs all-time franchise record for tackles was the worst LB in the league while setting that record. I am not saying he played like a Pro Bowler or even played well, but worst LB in the league?  Come on. Hell, he wasn't even the worst LB on his team. No argument can be made the Rags was better than Hitch.

He has zero chance of being cut.  IMO he will start and play well.

Tackles are not a great metric. I get that.  And really that doesn’t even matter really. The point is where was everybody else? And was Hitch the worst LB even on his team? Much less the nfl. I guess that is my point.

My real point is that PFF ratings are meaningless.

Come on dog. Is there any other LB on last years roster that that would rank above Hitch other than Houston. Houston is a stud no doubt. I am sure you will say Ford. Legit argument there. But I would not trade Hitch for Ford. Especially with moving to a 4-3. 

15 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Come on dog. Is there any other LB on last years roster that that would rank above Hitch other than Houston. Houston is a stud no doubt. I am sure you will say Ford. Legit argument there. But I would not trade Hitch for Ford. Especially with moving to a 4-3. 

Based on last year I think Houston & Ford, despite his sacks, were not as good as some think. The entire linebacker crew was crap based on total results. Glad both are gone.

Fair point. I think Ford provides little. I think Houston is a stud, but can’t be the highest paid non-QB in the league. Either way, we have some promising LBs both young and Vets. They are all on the clock in the most contested position in a completely new defense. It’s anyone’s guess who rises to the challenge. I can’t wait to watch how it unfolds. Same with RB. I can’t freaking wait!

39 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Fair point. I think Ford provides little. I think Houston is a stud, but can’t be the highest paid non-QB in the league. Either way, we have some promising LBs both young and Vets. They are all on the clock in the most contested position in a completely new defense. It’s anyone’s guess who rises to the challenge. I can’t wait to watch how it unfolds. Same with RB. I can’t freaking wait!

Hope you are correct and they step up. My guess is that next season Hitchens & Ragland will be gone. Hard to fix the entire defense in one off season. Overall the d should be a little better this season and that may be enough.

Archived