Who gets a new contract first? Jones or Hill

Terez Paylor

Senior NFL Writer

Yahoo Sports

Now that the NFL has decided against disciplining or fining Kansas City Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill, sources with knowledge of the situation reiterated to Yahoo Sports on Friday that the club remains interested in signing the All-Pro receiver to a contract extension.

The Chiefs and Hill have plenty of reason to strike a new deal over the course of the coming months.

Start with the point of view of the Chiefs, who face a predicament with Hill, 25, and star defensive tackle Chris Jones, 25, currently slated to hit unrestricted free agency next spring.

Sep 9, 2018; Carson, CA, USA; Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill (10) returns a punt for a touchdown during the first quarter against the Los Angeles Chargers at StubHub Center. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

The 6-foot-6, 310-pound Jones racked up 15½ sacks last year, and is one of the best pass-rushing linemen in football, someone whose length and quickness routinely gives offensive linemen fits. Another monster season could be on the horizon.

That matters because if Jones and Hill – who is also entering the all-important contract season — both rip it up next season, at least one of them would be free to hit free agency and court a bidding war, since NFL teams can franchise tag only one player per season.

The Chiefs can avoid that scenario by simply giving Hill or Jones an extension during the season and franchising the other when the time comes. Both are foundational pieces who deserve big-money deals, but a case can be made that from a purely football standpoint, Hill is the one the Chiefs would be more likely to pay right now — even with the off-field issues this year.

It’s easy to see Jones demanding the type of money the Chiefs just gave recently acquired defensive end Frank Clark — five years and $104 million — as he has recorded the same number of sacks (22) that Clark has the past two seasons. For Jones, most of those sacks came in 2018 — which the team could argue is his one year of elite production — while Hill already has three elite seasons to his name. By paying Hill first, the Chiefs could essentially use 2019 to see what Jones looks like in new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo’s system.

And in a perfect world, that’s likely what the Chiefs would have done, as Hill and the club were discussing a massive new deal just months ago. They were even having discussions about it right up until the child abuse investigation became public in March. Yahoo Sports first reported the possibility of a deal on June 27, a day after Hill met with NFL investigators for eight hours in an attempt to provide clarity and context to a child-abuse investigation that involved Hill, his ex-fiancee Crystal Espinal and a secret audio recording.

Now that the negotiation window is open again, it would also benefit Hill to strike a new deal in the near future, too. Remember, Jones and Hill were drafted the same year, but as a second-round pick, Jones’ rookie contract called for him to earn roughly $4.2 million by this point in his career. That’s at least double what Hill, a first-round talent who went in the fifth round that year due to his guilty plea in 2015 for domestic abuse of Espinal, was stipulated to earn $1.6 million by this point in his career.

Hill still has a family to support, and a lucrative payday — one that would potentially approach or surpass Odell Beckham Jr. money, hovering at or around $20 million per year — would certainly help him recoup lost earnings.

Still, there are obstacles that could affect the timeline of any Hill extension. For one, given the spectacle of this entire ordeal dating to Hill’s initial selection by the Chiefs in 2016, it’s fair to wonder if any new contract would have to include financial protections for the team if Hill runs into future legal issues, whether it come in the form of multiple contract clauses or, at the very least, a base salary-heavy deal.

There are questions that must still be answered about Hill’s personal life, a source with knowledge of the situation told Yahoo Sports. There are still things that need to play out that will provide closure and comfort that a similar ordeal won’t happen in the future. The child services investigation involving the Kansas Department of Children and Families remains ongoing, for example, and Espinal gave birth to twins and filed a paternity suit last week in which she’s seeking child support and full custody with supervised parenting time for Hill.

Regardless, none of this should be taken as an indication the Chiefs don’t want Hill for the long-term, or vice versa. Both sides just went through an often-ugly ordeal, yet Hill remains a Chief, one who will be available for all 16 games in 2019.

And there’s plenty of reason to think if both sides have their way, that will also remain the case in 2020 and beyond.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones still needs to prove he is more than a one year guy on a very bad defense. Cracks me up....some keep saying the defense was all about Sutton vs a lack of talent too. Somebody allowed the run at will stats other teams put up. See what he does this year first. Hills future is likely tied to the progress Hardman makes or does not make. I think Watkins is gone after this year. I would not extend either Jones or Hill this season. The idea of hometown discounts is a myth.

This season IS KC best opportunity to go the distance. KC needs to be in all in NOW MODE. WHATEVER NOW TAKES...DO IT NOW. Win while Mahomes is still on his rookie deal.

THE FUTURE HAS ARRIVED.

If the reports were true that the Chiefs were going to sign Hill before everything happened and they are still interested then I would probably get his done first with quite a few out clauses.   

Jones.  I agree with Fanatic that I wanna see what he does in a different scheme. Use the tag on him if need be for next year.  

Sam Mellinger has a pretty good handle on where the Chiefs are with Jones. Veach is likely offering somewhere in the 45 million guaranteed range over three years according to Sam. But Jones wants Frank Clark money.  So Jones can take security of the lower team friendly deal or bet on himself as Frank did last year and go for the big money next year.  

The guarantee Veach is offering is largely based on having to franchise tag him twice and the total amount he would make the next three years playing on that. To me that says they are prepared to tag Jones next year.  And that would mean signing Tyreek would be the priority if Jones doesn’t agree to lower range deal. 

Not sure where Clark Hunt is with giving Tyreek a large guarantee though coming off this mess.  

1 hour ago, NChiefsCorner said:

Jones, because he has proved himself to be a beast and hard to shutdown, the Patriots showed the league that Hill can be shutdown.

Yet the Patriots also showed that Chris Jones on defense was a moot point by racking up over 30 points both times they played. Tyreek Hill has multiple games crushing the Patriots with only 1 game of not producing. Depends on how you want to look at it. 

2 hours ago, NChiefsCorner said:

Jones, because he has proved himself to be a beast and hard to shutdown, the Patriots showed the league that Hill can be shutdown.

A defense can take any one player out of a game. Could have been Kelce if that was the plan. Belesuck out coached Reid in game planning the first half. End of the day....the KC offense was not shut down the second half. Take Hill out opens up other guys.

Jones had a great season....no doubt. I still think you let this season play out & then decide. See what other players step up or step off. Injuries? KC is in the drivers seat with these guys. I do feel the hometown discount is a myth in todays me first NFL.

3 minutes ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

Yet the Patriots also showed that Chris Jones on defense was a moot point by racking up over 30 points both times they played. Tyreek Hill has multiple games crushing the Patriots with only 1 game of not producing. Depends on how you want to look at it. 

Not very often with a offense we had do you see the defense play against one player, just one they want to take out of the game. Where we needed to learn is exploit the other one on ones which we did in the 2nd half. This year will be even better with Hardman in there too.

According to Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star, Chiefs DL Chris Jones "embodies all the familiar signs" of a training camp holdout.

He and the Chiefs are reportedly far apart in contract talks—Jones is looking for a deal comparable to Frank Clark's, which included $63.5 million in guarantees, while Kansas City prefers something in the $45-50 million range. Jones, who is due a modest $1.19 million in the final year of his rookie deal, is hoping to cash in on the heels of his breakout 2018, a campaign that included a career-best 15.5 sacks. Unfortunately for Jones, the Chiefs also need to set aside funds for Patrick Mahomes (who is eligible for an extension next offseason) and contract-year wideout Tyreek Hill. To become a free agent next offseason, the 2016 second-rounder must report to camp by early August.

SOURCE: Kansas City Star

Home Town Discount is a MYTH....fanatic
I will be rooting for Clark to have a monster KC career....that said...trading a 1st round pick and then giving him the huge contract may have put Jones in hold out mode. Hard to keep everyone. The message is mixed. Free agent gets big contract in KC while the home town guys are left to wonder. 

I think Hill gets the deal. I think Jones's money went to Frank Clark. The Dline looks like it would be solid if Jones was our for the season. Not as good as with him, but still solid.

The WR Corp would look down right scary if Hill were out for the season. Drob and Pringle competing for the #2 spot and an oft injured #1 is not what you want to give your young gun to throw to. 

Mecole still needs to prove he can play at this level. Even if he does, the odds he is Hill 2.0 are a million to one.

Besides Watkins, we have nothing invested in that position. I think that is where you have to spend the money. 

Interesting that outside of Watkins and Hill nobody on the roster has more than 1 career catch except Drob with 22. I think total career catches of the #3 and below is 24. Sign Hill and use Jones's money to replace Watkins and sign a solid #2 TE.

16 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Agree. Trade him after this season. You made the replacement move with Hardman.

JMO but I think he was drafted to replace Watkins.   I think with his contract he is gone after this year and with his foot issues I think more times than not will miss time during the year. 

7 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

JMO but I think he was drafted to replace Watkins.   I think with his contract he is gone after this year and with his foot issues I think more times than not will miss time during the year. 

So they took Hill in the draft to replace Watkins before Watkins was even a Chief, now that is looking ahead.

Just now, Okiechief1 said:

Maybe didn’t word it well but took Hardman to replace Watkins.  

As it stands the only WR with an NFL catch on the roster for 2020 is Watkins. And I agree he’s most likely going to be released if we extend Tyreek.  Hardman really needs to emerge as the season progresses.  

49 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Interesting that outside of Watkins and Hill nobody on the roster has more than 1 career catch except Drob with 22. I think total career catches of the #3 and below is 24. Sign Hill and use Jones's money to replace Watkins and sign a solid #2 TE.

Just read the average age of this WR group is only 24.  QB is only 23.  Pretty amazing.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Hardman can't replace both Hill and Watkins.

Yep. That's absurd. Just read on PFF that the Mahomes-Watkins combo on short passes provided the number one passer rating in the NFL last year for that distance. Watkins is one of the best run after the catch guys in the league when he is actually on the field. And still only 26. If he stays healthy and they tag and trade Hill, he probably gets restructered and stays. If Watkins can't stay healthy and Clark Hunt prefers not to resign Tyreek, it becomes priority one in free agency or the draft. Seems highly unlikely it gets to that at this point though.

Archived