Entering Training Camp, who has the most pressure on them?

33 members have voted

1. 1. Entering Training Camp, who has the most pressure on them?

Just now, Handswarmer said:

The players on the cusp of making the final 53.  That would include T. Smith, X. Williams, Ragland, Kemp, and Fenton.  The ones in your poll won't feel pressure until the games start counting.  Of those you listed, I would say Hill since he's under scrutiny from all angles.  Maybe Jones should be included since he's playing for a Clark type contract. 

I think Spags. He has the burden of implementing a new defense with new players for a team that will consider anything less than a Super Bowl a disappointment. He knows that a legendary coach and his friend is poised to finally win a Super Bowl if he can just field an average D. A lot of players have been brought in I can only assume at his request. He will have to pressure of those guys performance on his shoulders as well.

I also think it's Spags, since the defense was so bad last year. This will be a solid chance to see what kind of D coordinator He really is. Is He the type like Wade Phillips, were you see an immediate impact with the same roster, or the type were players need a few seasons to put together what he's trying to teach. My guess is he's somewhere in between those two types and that may be enough. 

Mahomes will be under immense scrutiny the first bad game. Then all the doubters will show up with the haters.

however, he’s mentally strong obviously, and I have zero doubts as I’m sure most of you do.

but I thinks he’s squarely under the most pressure

spags is in a win win

because no one expects much out of that defense...

I don't think the pressure will be on Spags that everyone is thinking.  New coach, lots of defensive turnover, new system, converting to 3-4 to 4-3.  I think he will get a year free pass just to get all this put together.  I'd say Reid, but he won't really have any pressure on him until the playoffs.  Id have to go with Watkins, because he's the one that needs to prove he can stay healthy and prove that he's worth the contract he was given. 

Reid.  The only thing missing from his resume  is a SB win.  That’s the expectation this year.  Not just to get there but to win it.  I’ve heard the narrative on Reid he can’t win the big one.  

He has the QB he wants and Mahomes is probably the most talented QB he has ever coached and the weapons on offense to be historically great.   Did a complete makeover on the D side starting with the DC that Reid picked. He also probably had a very heavy hand in the GM that is drafting the players and getting the players he wants in free agency.  

If they don’t at least get there that narrative is going to start getting louder.   

34 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

I don't think the pressure will be on Spags that everyone is thinking.  New coach, lots of defensive turnover, new system, converting to 3-4 to 4-3.  I think he will get a year free pass just to get all this put together.  I'd say Reid, but he won't really have any pressure on him until the playoffs.  Id have to go with Watkins, because he's the one that needs to prove he can stay healthy and prove that he's worth the contract he was given. 

Reasonable people don't expect miracles. We've now replaced basically the entire defensive coaching staff AND 10 of 11 starters over the past 2 offseasons. It's gonna take some time. He will be under certain pressure but not until late this year or certainly next year.  I'd probably say Mahomes off of that list. He's the reigning MVP and everyone in the league is going to have a huge target on him. Plus he's already been installed as the favorite to repeat as MVP. How many players have actually done that?

EMf90GZI_bigger.jpg

Patrick Mahomes is the heavy favorite to repeat as NFL MVP

🚀

👀

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

i voted for Watkins because he has a hard time staying healthy

There's not really pressure there to stay healthy though. Or at least he may feel pressure to stay healthy but that makes zero difference either way. 

3 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Perfectly said 

6 hours ago, Calichief said:

Mahomes will be under immense scrutiny the first bad game. Then all the doubters will show up with the haters.

however, he’s mentally strong obviously, and I have zero doubts as I’m sure most of you do.

but I thinks he’s squarely under the most pressure

spags is in a win win

because no one expects much out of that defense...

100% agreement.

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

I’d think Frank Clark should. He is the monster trade and contract. Dude needs to live up to it. Behind him is Veach. Then Spags.

Clark playing well and Veach doing his job right kind of go hand in hand. Can’t do anything about injuries, but a healthy Clark does need to be a Pro Bowl level performer and a clear defensive leader. I think he will he both but no doubt huge pressure on him to actually do it. And thus justify Veachs all in move to get him

Reid.....He has his QB now he needs to manage clock and get that Super Bowl

funny I’d put Spags as least amount of pressure.  Like zero this year as even if we are as bad as last season it can be chalked up as needing a year to implement and turn over roster.  Next season I’d put him much higher.  

13 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

I don't think having pressure on Spags means winning the SB with a solid defense in year one. But he definitely needs to show that he's the right man to fix this defense for a 2020 SB run so the pressure will be on him to show some decent progress as early as this year. 

I think the pressure is on Veach. Not about getting fired, but pressure to prove he is a legit GM. Last year the draft was pretty rough. Nnadi was a nice hit, but tased yo for Speaks.

FA were hit and miss also. Big miss on Amerson and big hit on Ward. And so on. I think he is about at a C. Frank was a huge cost so the pressure is really on to see if he is worth 2 early round players and a 100 million. He also needs a solid first starter out of this draft to break even and get a C grade again. 

But a C grade is not what he wants. It doesn’t prove to his peers that he belongs. It’s not what the team needs to win a Super Bowl. 

We are looking at Spags and Veach and saying this team wins a Super Bowl if you can be just a smidge above average.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

I think the pressure is on Veach. Not about getting fired, but pressure to prove he is a legit GM. Last year the draft was pretty rough. Nnadi was a nice hit, but tased yo for Speaks.

FA were hit and miss also. Big miss on Amerson and big hit on Ward. And so on. I think he is about at a C. Frank was a huge cost so the pressure is really on to see if he is worth 2 early round players and a 100 million. He also needs a solid first starter out of this draft to break even and get a C grade again. 

But a C grade is not what he wants. It doesn’t prove to his peers that he belongs. It’s not what the team needs to win a Super Bowl. 

We are looking at Spags and Veach and saying this team wins a Super Bowl if you can be just a smidge above average.

When you only give a guy a 500,000 guarantee it’s not really a big miss in my opinion. Veachs subtle moves have paid big dividends. Reiter, Butker, Williams, Ward are all now starters we traded or signed for next to nothing. He’s really good at finding young value.  And even the high profile free agents he’s signed have been to contracts which give us important club flexibility after only two years in case they don’t work out.  He inherited a salary cap mess from Dorsey. And now we are talking about an improved defense AND 24 million in CAP space. That’s pretty salty. IE to me big picture. He's been phenomenal so far!

But I do absolutely agree ultimately he will he judged on his draft picks or those first contract guys he trades for developing and certainly the Frank Clark deal where he truly went all in on the guy.  Clarks play in 2019 might define Veach more than anything else short term. In short I agree there’s subtle pressure on Veach even as his team has already gone further than any GM we’ve had since 1993 and with a ton of turnover. 

15 hours ago, Balto said:

Reid.....He has his QB now he needs to manage clock and get that Super Bowl

funny I’d put Spags as least amount of pressure.  Like zero this year as even if we are as bad as last season it can be chalked up as needing a year to implement and turn over roster.  Next season I’d put him much higher.  

I get the Spags sentiment, but am not totally sold.  The first game that the Chiefs lose if the D melts down - he's fine.  If it happens 2, 3 or 4 times - which could very well happen with all the change - the pressure will be immense for him to get it figured out and not cost an all-star offense a chance at a ring.  

38 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

I get the Spags sentiment, but am not totally sold.  The first game that the Chiefs lose if the D melts down - he's fine.  If it happens 2, 3 or 4 times - which could very well happen with all the change - the pressure will be immense for him to get it figured out and not cost an all-star offense a chance at a ring.  

He's a proven guy who's reclaimed two defenses from the dead into top 5 groups in year two and won a Super Bowl against the Patriots. But he's no guru and hasn't consistently delivered a good product either. Either way I think any reasonable person knows this is still going to take some time. But what makes me most confident about this hire overall is that Daly and House are absolute rising stars in the defensive coaching community. The respect he had to have to get both of those guys to leave good situations was a major coup and probably just as important as his overall coaching ability. Kind of like Andy. Really good coach with flaws but he's just amazing at finding and enpowering good people around him. That's huge in helping to take the pressure off. 

Archived