PFF grades Secondaries

30. Kansas City Chiefs

CB Bashaud Breeland
CB Kendall Fuller
CB Charvarious Ward
S Jordan Lucas
S Tyrann Mathieu

It was rough last season, and the unit only marginally improved this offseason. They have a lot invested in Tyrann Mathieu being able to recapture a form we haven’t seen from him since 2015. After he tore his ACL that year, Mathieu hasn’t earned a coverage grade higher than 70.6 since.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

30. Kansas City Chiefs

CB Bashaud Breeland
CB Kendall Fuller
CB Charvarious Ward
S Jordan Lucas
S Tyrann Mathieu

It was rough last season, and the unit only marginally improved this offseason. They have a lot invested in Tyrann Mathieu being able to recapture a form we haven’t seen from him since 2015. After he tore his ACL that year, Mathieu hasn’t earned a coverage grade higher than 70.6 since.

Maybe but I think Thornhill and HB makes us much better as both can come down and play DB too. Ward is wait and see as he was looking good last year but if he continues to improve as he did, he will be good. Fuller in the slot will do wonders for us and Breeland needs to show he is healthy and playing well. Razor thin but I think we wont be ranked like this at the end of the season.

12 minutes ago, DieHard said:

PFF grades are often widely inaccurate. I do think we are below average at CB, but average or better at safety. We should probably sit around 25 until we prove we are better.

I didn't say I agreed with them. I just posted what they wrote.

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

30. Kansas City Chiefs

CB Bashaud Breeland
CB Kendall Fuller
CB Charvarious Ward
S Jordan Lucas
S Tyrann Mathieu

Very misleading on Mathieu because he was literally asked to play both safety position and corner last year. He's a stud if healthy and played like it last year for sure in what was the leagues most improved secondary because of it.  Thornhill is very likely to win a starting spot soon according to many reports and Ward won't get a ton of respect as a very young player but showed some big time skills in the playoffs last year. The hope with Breeland is that he's a cheaper option playing at a similar level as Nelson. Plus he's a better fit outside which allows Fuller to play at a position he's excelled at. Overall though the grade is fair with the caveat there's significant upside now to the group with Ward and Thornhill. I still think another veteran is needed.  

14 minutes ago, wilkie said:

In my humble opinion our corners are our biggest problem on defense.

Maybe KC can sign this guy that  PFF says is #35? Imagine 88 corners worse than this guy. 🙄

Free agent CB Orlando Scandrick worked out for the Vikings on Wednesday.

32-year-old Scandrick played 796 snaps for the Chiefs last season and earned plus marks from Pro Football Focus, grading out as their No. 35 cover corner out of 123 qualifiers. Scandrick played outside in K.C. but has mostly been a slot corner in the latter stages of his career. Vikings CB Holton Hill is suspended for eight games.

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

I didn't say I agreed with them. I just posted what they wrote.

Fair enough. Just taking my usual dig at PFF. I can’t really say it’s too far off after last year, but I think they will be a little better this year.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Maybe KC can sign this guy that  PFF says is #35? Imagine 88 corners worse than this guy. 🙄

Free agent CB Orlando Scandrick worked out for the Vikings on Wednesday.

32-year-old Scandrick played 796 snaps for the Chiefs last season and earned plus marks from Pro Football Focus, grading out as their No. 35 cover corner out of 123 qualifiers. Scandrick played outside in K.C. but has mostly been a slot corner in the latter stages of his career. Vikings CB Holton Hill is suspended for eight games.

So Scandrick is basically the top #2 CB in the league. They nailed it again.

Breeland is a huge upgrade from scandrick. 

Ward has a great worker's mentality.  I expect him to get better. 

Fuller will be better as a nickel.  And better scheme. 

Then there are young guys to develop. 

I'd like to know what team isn't thin at corner and has hall of famers sitting the bench as a 4th or 5th corner happily

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

Breeland is a huge upgrade from scandrick. 

Ward has a great worker's mentality.  I expect him to get better. 

Fuller will be better as a nickel.  And better scheme. 

Then there are young guys to develop. 

I'd like to know what team isn't thin at corner and has hall of famers sitting the bench as a 4th or 5th corner happily

The starters aren’t more talented than we finished with so we are relying on better fits and individual improvement to make the group better. And it needs to be a lot better.  Not seeing that as likely. The backups haven’t even proven they can play in this league at all. Just too many questions in my opinion for a legit Super Bowl contender like we are. Good news is we don’t necessarily have to do it until October if Veach does like young talent enough. I’d still keep an eye on Patrick Peterson. 

24 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

As of right now, 30 probably sounds about right...especially if they are penciling Lucas in as the starter.

The quotes I’m seeing from several coaches seem to indicate they think Thornhill is going to get that job sooner rather than later. But you never know with rookies. 

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

Even though I think we'll finish much better than 30 I have to agree with the current ranking. Too many question marks for now. 

I think we probably are better than 30, but it doesn't matter at this point and it's hard to argue based on the numbers.  I think what gets lost sometimes is the reasons why.  Dee Ford, Chris Jones etc had career sack numbers last year and the secondary looked bad.  In part Mahomes and the offense are responsible for some of that.  We led the league in passes attempted against us.  A Chiefs team had to defend 632 passes in a season.  And we played with big leads.  That's going to give you a lot more sack opportunities as you put teams in obvious passing downs.  And Bob was notorious for going into these soft, bend don't break defenses and milking big leads.  That's going to make a bad secondary's grades worse than they might be otherwise.  I'm anxious to see how a new coordinator and a new system affects these guys.  That and our safety play could not help but be better than a year ago.  This is why I think it's possible that we surprise some people.  But for now the grade is fair.

Just heard an interview with Earl Thomas by the way and how close he was to being a Chiefs player when the last second big contract offer came from the Ravens. I guess Andy Reid said something like for that type of money, I don't blame him one bit. But man were we close to what would have been the absolute best safety duo in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Just heard an interview with Earl Thomas by the way and how close he was to being a Chiefs player when the last second big contract offer came from the Ravens. I guess Andy Reid said something like for that type of money, I don't blame him one bit. But man were we close to what would have been the absolute best safety duo in the NFL. 

I am glad DeCosta was aggressive

Archived