PFF grades Secondaries

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I think we probably are better than 30, but it doesn't matter at this point and it's hard to argue based on the numbers.  I think what gets lost sometimes is the reasons why.  Dee Ford, Chris Jones etc had career sack numbers last year and the secondary looked bad.  In part Mahomes and the offense are responsible for some of that.  We led the league in passes attempted against us.  A Chiefs team had to defend 632 passes in a season.  And we played with big leads.  That's going to give you a lot more sack opportunities as you put teams in obvious passing downs.  And Bob was notorious for going into these soft, bend don't break defenses and milking big leads.  That's going to make a bad secondary's grades worse than they might be otherwise.  I'm anxious to see how a new coordinator and a new system affects these guys.  That and our safety play could not help but be better than a year ago.  This is why I think it's possible that we surprise some people.  But for now the grade is fair.

Yep, I think we have a lot of potential at Safety. Tornhill is touted as a likely starter as early as his rookie season and Lucas showed a lot of talent when given the chance. I think both can be really good in an aggressive scheme with HB cleaning everything up for the defense. CB is a question mark but even if it remains so I think we'll finish better than #30. However as you mentioned the grade is fair as only 3 likely starters have ever been starters in their careers and one of them missed quite a bit of time last year. Hopefully youngsters pick up early but I'm still expecting a trade/FA at CB. 

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

The Badger and Thomas would have been so sweet. Come on Rook. We need you to play well.

I think Thorn will do great as we go along. Good to have the rookie money there now and leave us plenty next year to sign our own, go after a FAs and then on to the next big contract of Mahomes. 

3 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

At the time, you drafted higher and we had a SB winning QB. Then we drafted a QB that was also a Heisman Winner.

We will be fine.

A Heisman Winner like Johnny Manziel?  Or a Heisman winner like Tim Tebow. Or Charlie Ward, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch, Jason White, Troy Smith and RG III.  I realize there are some good QB's that also won the Heisman but that's not really a yardstick for NFL quarterbacks. 

15 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

A Heisman Winner like Johnny Manziel?  Or a Heisman winner like Tim Tebow. Or Charlie Ward, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch, Jason White, Troy Smith and RG III.  I realize there are some good QB's that also won the Heisman but that's not really a yardstick for NFL quarterbacks. 

I know you just want to get a dig in about Lamar while we are talking Secondaries.

Who trolls who?

There have only been 10 Heisman winners to win a Super Bowl, which is a shockingly low number. Paul Hornung, Roger Staubach, Mike Garrett, Jim Plunkett, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, George Rogers, Desmond Howard, Charles Woodson and Reggie Bush.

46 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Cherry picking the list is fun- Baker Mayfield, Marcus Mariotta, Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, Vinnie Testaverde come to mind as above average QB's that won the Heisman as well as Roger Staubach with a few appearing in and winning SB's.

I acknowledged there are good Heisman winning quarterbacks.  I just pointed out that it's not really something to use as a barometer for NFL success.  If we get to go back to 1953 and Staubach, then I'll add to my list John Huarte, Steve Spurrier, Gary Beban, Pat Sullivan, Andre Ware and Gino Torretta.  And the Heisman Trophy is the only thing LJ and Roger Staubach will ever have in common. 

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

There have only been 10 Heisman winners to win a Super Bowl, which is a shockingly low number. Paul Hornung, Roger Staubach, Mike Garrett, Jim Plunkett, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, George Rogers, Desmond Howard, Charles Woodson and Reggie Bush.

I'm surprised that only 2 quarterbacks make the list.  That's pretty amazing. 

23 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Just heard an interview with Earl Thomas by the way and how close he was to being a Chiefs player when the last second big contract offer came from the Ravens. I guess Andy Reid said something like for that type of money, I don't blame him one bit. But man were we close to what would have been the absolute best safety duo in the NFL. 

go to the 3:50 mark

11 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

go to the 3:50 mark

That’s the interview I saw. We were about 12 hours from an unreal safety duo. But honestly despite being 30, he deserves the contract the Ravens gave him. He’s a great player. I give Brett Veach a lot of credit for almost sneaking that 1 year deal by everyone though. 

On 7/24/2019 at 6:36 PM, DieHard said:

So Scandrick is basically the top #2 CB in the league. They nailed it again.

I normally think PFF grades are okay but damn how in the hell did they get this grade? Must have reviewed a previous season by accident, lol.

2 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

I normally think PFF grades are okay but damn how in the hell did they get this grade? Must have reviewed a previous season by accident, lol.

He started off playing like a servicable guy but it deteriorated into a train wreck by November. I still think Andy Reid made the call to bench him and play the kid. But that PFF grade just makes no sense. I've always advocated PFF and will still use them as a reference. But after they went on record saying Daron Lee's pass coverage grade was misleading because a few really good scores skewed his overall total, it became clear those overall scores need to be taken a LARGE grain of salt. 

19 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

That’s the interview I saw. We were about 12 hours from an unreal safety duo. But honestly despite being 30, he deserves the contract the Ravens gave him. He’s a great player. I give Brett Veach a lot of credit for almost sneaking that 1 year deal by everyone though. 

That's why I said I liked DeCosta's aggressiveness. Made a great defense even better. The pundits are wrong about there being a drop off for the Ravens from last year.

I see the Ravens being tough. With a full off season to prepare to run with the new QB. I don’t know about TE or WR depth, but they should be a handful nonetheless. Better be ready to get pounded with the running game and Run options I would think. I think we are better suited against that than a deep passing game.

How do you think they will be different from last year Hands?

Breeland got knocked out of practice today with a lacerated hand and his replacement in the starting lineup was D’Monte Wade (2nd year Street free agent). Granted the kid did have a pick today but still. How can they be comfortable with this?  Gotta believe Veach is very much in corner market. 

By the way it was the biggest crowd ever for a practice at Missouri Western. They actually flat ran out of parking it was so packed. The buzz around this team is through the roof.  

11 minutes ago, Calichief said:

I hope watts flashes.

He's flashing with injuries, if that counts for anything.

5 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Breeland got knocked out of practice today with a lacerated hand and his replacement in the starting lineup was D’Monte Wade (2nd year Street free agent). Granted the kid did have a pick today but still. How can they be comfortable with this?  Gotta believe Veach is very much in corner market. 

By the way it was the biggest crowd ever for a practice at Missouri Western. They actually flat ran out of parking it was so packed. The buzz around this team is through the roof.  

They're not, but asking price was just too high for the guys they are or at least were window shopping.

30 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

He's flashing with injuries, if that counts for anything.

They're not, but asking price was just too high for the guys they are or at least were window shopping.

I noticed 

On 7/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, DieHard said:

I see the Ravens being tough. With a full off season to prepare to run with the new QB. I don’t know about TE or WR depth, but they should be a handful nonetheless. Better be ready to get pounded with the running game and Run options I would think. I think we are better suited against that than a deep passing game.

How do you think they will be different from last year Hands?

Offensively the TE's are a very talented group. 3 deep at that position with Mark Andrews and Haydon Hurst being really just very large WR's. Andrews and Jackson developed some chemistry last year. Drafting Hollywood Brown and Miles Boykin gave the WR position needed speed. Chris Moore is set to break out. Willie Sneed is a proven, trusted slot guy. RB is overflowing with talent- Gus Edwards is a fast, strong back, Mark Ingram is a nice addition and drafting Justice Hill (OK State) as a home run hitter. LJ will mature as a passer and with the threat of running, this only opens the passing game. Needs to improve his accuracy on throws outside the numbers. This offense is going to roll.

Defense- to quote Twain, “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.” Losing Suggs, Smith, won't hurt the pass rush. Losing CJ mosely at LB won't hurt the LB, Earl Thomas is a severe upgrade over Weddle. Our secondary is probably the best in the NFL. No worries about the defense.

ST- have GOAT at kicker, top 5 punter and the LS is a a great one. All three have been together for 7 plus years.

Maybe something to watch?

Chiefs beat writer Nate Taylor on May 17th:

“Perhaps the best way the Chiefs could land Peterson is by agreeing to a trade around Aug. 25. By then, the Chiefs would have a better understanding of their depth at the cornerback position. The team will have played three preseason games, the most important being the third exhibition against the San Francisco 49ers on Aug. 24. Poor play from one of the cornerbacks or an injury could influence the Chiefs’ desire to trade for Peterson.

“If the Cardinals accept a deal — and the compensation is still the biggest unknown in this equation — Peterson could then have a week to meet his new coaches and teammates and begin learning the Chiefs’ playbook and system under defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. Peterson then would begin serving his suspension on Sept. 2, which is the official start of the regular season.”

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Maybe something to watch?

Chiefs beat writer Nate Taylor on May 17th:

“Perhaps the best way the Chiefs could land Peterson is by agreeing to a trade around Aug. 25. By then, the Chiefs would have a better understanding of their depth at the cornerback position. The team will have played three preseason games, the most important being the third exhibition against the San Francisco 49ers on Aug. 24. Poor play from one of the cornerbacks or an injury could influence the Chiefs’ desire to trade for Peterson.

“If the Cardinals accept a deal — and the compensation is still the biggest unknown in this equation — Peterson could then have a week to meet his new coaches and teammates and begin learning the Chiefs’ playbook and system under defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. Peterson then would begin serving his suspension on Sept. 2, which is the official start of the regular season.”

He is suspended the first 6 weeks so how does he help? Also, wants new deal? Gotta save that cash for Clark and Mahomie

Archived