Speaks? What is his role?

55 minutes ago, xen said:

280s is a good weight for a 3 tech, as long as the power is there.  Aaron Donald is listed at 285 but admits last year he was playing closer to 265 to 270.  He's also a lot shorter than Chris.

Wow. I did not know that. He has some serious strength for that size.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Personally I think speaks will play both the backup to okafor as the run stuffing end as well as sliding inside to rush next to jones situationally 

I love how we trade up for 2nd round backups. I'd hate to actually draft a starter in that draft position. KC has a history of drafting high round projects, this has to stop. Now that we are a 4-3, it will at least eliminate the OLB projects and risk that comes with it.

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I love how we trade up for 2nd round backups. I'd hate to actually draft a starter in that draft position. KC has a history of drafting high round projects, this has to stop. Now that we are a 4-3, it will at least eliminate the OLB projects and risk that comes with it.

Exactly 

2 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Projects are fine, but they need an actual plan for them.  They drafted Tanoh and had no fucking idea what to do with him and drafted a fatty the next year and told him to play in space.

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I'd have to look back, but I don't think we traded up for KPass.  And I think we swapped 3rds for Speaks.  The jury is still out on both, particularly Speaks.  To be fair, our drafts lately have pretty much made us a 12-4 AFC favorite.  And our early picks have been a big part of that. Mahomes, Fisher, Kelce, Peters, Ford, Morse, Chris Jones, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, LDT, Conley and Nelson all worked out pretty well.  And we have one of the youngest and best rosters in the NFL.  Sure I'd like to have better production from those picks, but the overall body of work has been pretty good.  KPass was a risk worth taking at the time.  And I think most of us thought he could potentially be a one man wrecking crew.  It hasn't worked out, but I don't fault the effort.  Speaks plays slow to me.  I hope he works out in the new system.  

7 hours ago, Troyofoc said:

Speaks is slow and stiff, in college he won on strength and being nasty. And in the league his strength is neutralized and the before mentioned stands out.

Meh.  Tamba Hali made a career out of strength and tenacity.  Took him a few years to get going but it can be done.

16 hours ago, FANATIC said:

I was referring to last year. I think Mahomes was worth 4 or more wins over Smith last season. The defense was much worse than when Smith was here. Doubt Smith would have put up enough points to win the games Mahomes did. 

Defense wasn’t way worse. The defense has been bad for 3 years with Dorsey’s players, bad contracts and poor coaching. Veach has completely rebuilt the defense. Younger and cheaper. We will see if his players can be better than Dorsey’s. I personally think Speaks will play inside where he could be a terror against interior linemen  Playing him in space last year was a joke  

I also think our roster is so deep and coaching staff is so good that Chad Henne could win 8-10 games if we were relatively healthy elsewhere. Every QB in the NFL would kill to have Tyreek, Watkins, Hardman, Kelce and even Williams to throw too.  Last year was our best team in almost 50 years even with that defense because the offense was so deep and talented. And man did Veachs subtle signings of Williams and Reiter pay off when we needed them. As did Sammy Watkins when we really needed him in January. 

3 hours ago, xen said:

Meh.  Tamba Hali made a career out of strength and tenacity.  Took him a few years to get going but it can be done.

You mean players can actually dramatically improve from one year to the next especially if they are given a role which fits their skill set?  😂 

15 hours ago, xen said:

Hali had an endless motor and no give up, you can't tell me speaks showed that last year.

2 hours ago, Troyofoc said:

Hali had an endless motor and no give up, you can't tell me speaks showed that last year.

No he looked like a typical lost rookie.  He did show some flashes though.  There's something to work with.  They certainly should not give up on a 2nd round pick after the first year though.

6 hours ago, xen said:

No he looked like a typical lost rookie.  He did show some flashes though.  There's something to work with.  They certainly should not give up on a 2nd round pick after the first year though.

Ya a rookie who looked more like Mcbride Than Hali. But ya not giving up on him yet just not expecting it. I'll get excited when I see improvement.

9 hours ago, Troyofoc said:

Ya a rookie who looked more like Mcbride Than Hali. But ya not giving up on him yet just not expecting it. I'll get excited when I see improvement.

Fair enough.  He's not done much to get people excited yet.  

18 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Speaks lined up inside today during 11 on 11s.  Report is blew blew through A Gap and would have had sack of Mahomes early in the session.  At least some positive. 

I wonder if that's in sub packages or base formation. He looked bigger in the photos around the OTAs so may be they thought he would be a better fit inside but could also be an insurance policy at DT. 

5 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I wonder if that's in sub packages or base formation. He looked bigger in the photos around the OTAs so may be they thought he would be a better fit inside but could also be an insurance policy at DT. 

Not sure. Although I did just read Tanoh was also working inside on the Dline during 11 on 11s. . Lined up Clark-Tanoh-Jones-Okafor.   

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Not sure. Although I did just read Tanoh was also working inside on the Dline during 11 on 11s. . Lined up Clark-Tanoh-Jones-Okafor.   

Wow that should be one agile group up front. Could make sense in sub packages but definitely want to learn what they are thinking of Kpass and Speaks in base formation. I guess this is the experimental time of the TC but Spags has a history of using 3 pass rushers at the same time on the line. Conventional approach would be Nnadi and Saunders in the middle but who knows. 

48 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Wow that should be one agile group up front. Could make sense in sub packages but definitely want to learn what they are thinking of Kpass and Speaks in base formation. I guess this is the experimental time of the TC but Spags has a history of using 3 pass rushers at the same time on the line. Conventional approach would be Nnadi and Saunders in the middle but who knows. 

I did also just read that this was an 11 on 11 passing drill so I think you can assume this was a sub package of sorts. At least its good to see those two working on the Dline.  Spags and Daly know what they are doing. Edit: Tanoh was working with the 1s at LDE on the base dline after working inside during the passing drills. (Maybe I'm writing him off to fast with a competent coaching staff?)

The Chiefs’ backup d-line is stocked with top-100 picks. K-Pass (2), Saunders (3), Speaks (2) and Ogbah (2). All have something to prove; would be a boon for KC if a few of them turned into impactful rotational pieces. You need pass-rush depth along the front to win in January

1 hour ago, xen said:

fyi Chris Jones said yesterday he came into camp at 295, not in the 280's.  He just dropped 3% of his body fat.  said he wanted to prepare in case they wanted to move him around.

Clark moves from right to left too? I seem to remember him playing in multiple positions. Going to be fun to see them move around to cause confusion and mismatches.

37 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Clark moves from right to left too? I seem to remember him playing in multiple positions. Going to be fun to see them move around to cause confusion and mismatches.

Clark declared "clear victory for the defense" today. And while that doesn't mean much on the surface. I LOVE the fact we brought guys in that want to compete every day and not just hope we can be good enough to help the offense a little. 11 on 11s apparently became R rated with his trash talking. He brings tons of skill but much needed attitude. And his proven ability to run those stunts can make he and Jones an absolute nightmare for opposing OLines. 

Archived