USATODAY- 4. Kansas City Chiefs (8): Defense should be better suited to new coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's philosophy and will benefit from arrival of multi-faceted DE Frank Clark. But secondary questions linger. K.C. caught a break with resolution of WR Tyreek Hill's situation, but that doesn't mean QB Patrick Mahomes can replicate off-the-charts MVP numbers.

Does that quote equal regression? Law of averages suggest Mahomes will not throw 50 TDs. He could be something new and create a new norm, but a great season is still high 30s for TDs. When you get above 40, history says you are having a historical season.

I normally don't care about such things (what the media says) but boy did they move off of our team quickly.  I think everyone (except hosers like Cowherd and Bayless) now puts Mahomes in that top tier of QBs, but as a team the hype in the AFC is around teams like the Browns, Colts, and Chargers.

On the defense, anyone who doesn't think we'll be better just isn't paying attention---the superficial analysis says we were bad then lost good players like Ford, Houston, and Berry, while anyone who has paid attention knows that is we clearly upgraded at two of those positions (Clark, HB) and maybe the third (Okafor over Houston), before you consider our draft additions, Spags over Sutton, etc.  The point is, there's really no way we can be worse, we will positively regress on that side of the ball.  The question is how quickly and how well it will come together---will we be a little better, a lot better, or somewhere in the middle?

As for Mahomes, it is likely that his volume numbers will regress especially if the defense is better.  But what if his efficiency improves?  Instead of 5000/50/12 what if he's 4700/40/5 with a higher YPA in a slightly more ball-control style offense?

13 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I normally don't care about such things (what the media says) but boy did they move off of our team quickly.  I think everyone (except hosers like Cowherd and Bayless) now puts Mahomes in that top tier of QBs, but as a team the hype in the AFC is around teams like the Browns, Colts, and Chargers.

On the defense, anyone who doesn't think we'll be better just isn't paying attention---the superficial analysis says we were bad then lost good players like Ford, Houston, and Berry, while anyone who has paid attention knows that is we clearly upgraded at two of those positions (Clark, HB) and maybe the third (Okafor over Houston), before you consider our draft additions, Spags over Sutton, etc.  The point is, there's really no way we can be worse, we will positively regress on that side of the ball.  The question is how quickly and how well it will come together---will we be a little better, a lot better, or somewhere in the middle?

As for Mahomes, it is likely that his volume numbers will regress especially if the defense is better.  But what if his efficiency improves?  Instead of 5000/50/12 what if he's 4700/40/5 with a higher YPA in a slightly more ball-control style offense?

Well Vegas has us and NE as the SB favorites at 6-1, so we havent been totally brushed aside.

45 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I know they have to write about something but damn, can we stop with the talk about Mahomes regressing? Its stupid.

well we know that he may not put up the same numbers as last year so in their minds that is regressing, hopefully our defense will be better and he won't

have to do so much. I think the NFL wants to talk about the other QB's like Jackson, Mayfield in hopes that that they improve so that the NFL can field a

more attractive product and more must see games etc, Goff, Wentz and Pat are good QB's but they need the others (Rosen, Allen etc) to elevate their games

39 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Does that quote equal regression? Law of averages suggest Mahomes will not throw 50 TDs. He could be something new and create a new norm, but a great season is still high 30s for TDs. When you get above 40, history says you are having a historical season.

Correct.  There have only been 10 performances with 40-49 TDs in a single season in NFL history.  The list reads like a hall of fame primer.  No QB has ever thrown for 50+ twice in a career.  Only 3 have thrown for 50+ once.  

I don't think it's a slam on Patrick.  Of course all that said, no QB has ever come close to Patrick's performance as a first year QB.  Nothing he does will surprise me.

5 minutes ago, xen said:

Correct.  There have only been 10 performances with 40-49 TDs in a single season in NFL history.  The list reads like a hall of fame primer.  No QB has ever thrown for 50+ twice in a career.  Only 3 have thrown for 50+ once.  

I don't think it's a slam on Patrick.  Of course all that said, no QB has ever come close to Patrick's performance as a first year QB.  Nothing he does will surprise me.

Here I am sticking up for him and you disagree.

I can't win with you.....😁

7 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Here I am sticking up for him and you disagree.

I can't win with you.....😁

lol tryna be at least a little realistic.  I think he will take a jump this year but that doesn't necessarily mean his yards and td's go up due to other factors, like playing more complimentary football and learning to take what the defense offers and when to force it.  

It's just hard to know what the new normal expectations should be for Mahomes with only one crazy season to go by.

My sanity does not accept that 5k/50 is the new normal

59 minutes ago, xen said:

lol tryna be at least a little realistic.  I think he will take a jump this year but that doesn't necessarily mean his yards and td's go up due to other factors, like playing more complimentary football and learning to take what the defense offers and when to force it.  

It's just hard to know what the new normal expectations should be for Mahomes with only one crazy season to go by.

My sanity does not accept that 5k/50 is the new normal

tru dat...

But the constant harping I hear is getting tiresome. Its like the "experts" read and watch each other to shape a narrative.

Thank god they don't do that on the Cable News shows.

He’s the single most talented QB in the NFL and extremely smart with great work ethic. With some luck with health, I predict his career numbers will be off the charts elite.  Even still he’s going to have some struggles in this league at times because it’s a brutally difficult position.  As such sometimes some regression is needed to move forward. In this case though, regression needs to be better defined. Statistically it’s absolutely going to happen, but is that really the right way to measure this? I’d say no. 

Whats most important to me is that whether we are the 1 seed or the 6 seed, just get us to January because this QB gives us a chance to win anywhere, anytime. And that’s what it’s really all about. 

23 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Good points and the media doesn't even mention the defensive coaching staff KC put together to work with Spags.

38 minutes ago, dksww said:

Good points and the media doesn't even mention the defensive coaching staff KC put together to work with Spags.

Great point, I'm really excited about House and the LBs and the new DL coach from NE (forget his name) as well.

Even pundits who don't follow the Chiefs closely should know that Berry did nothing last year, Ford was a one trick pony, and Houston couldn't cover receivers all that well.  They should know that HB and Clark are huge upgrades, at least on paper, Thornhill and Watts are probably good additions, and Okafor will contribute.  They should know that Sutton didn't use his talent to the best advantage.  What' they seem to be basing the decline on is that fact that Mahomes won't repeat 50/5000 and that the defense will learn to adjust to his style.  I think the line will protect better with LDT back and Mahomes will make fewer mistakes with experience to counterbalance any adjustments the defenses make.

What is up with Watts? Suffered a rib injury during the conditioning test? Maybe his method of tuning differs from mine, but damn. I had high hopes for him, but will be watching to see how many of these little injuries he has. 

On 7/28/2019 at 6:02 AM, Adamixoye said:

Great point, I'm really excited about House and the LBs and the new DL coach from NE (forget his name) as well.

I'm not even sure how they convinced Daly to make a lateral move from NE, either.  I guess he is from KC or something like that and has worked w/Spags in the past.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:53 PM, Mloe68 said:

He’s the single most talented QB in the NFL and extremely smart with great work ethic. With some luck with health, I predict his career numbers will be off the charts elite.  Even still he’s going to have some struggles in this league at times because it’s a brutally difficult position.  As such sometimes some regression is needed to move forward. In this case though, regression needs to be better defined. Statistically it’s absolutely going to happen, but is that really the right way to measure this? I’d say no. 

Whats most important to me is that whether we are the 1 seed or the 6 seed, just get us to January because this QB gives us a chance to win anywhere, anytime. And that’s what it’s really all about. 

While Mahomes is special, this is a tad bit over the top. Sure he is the reigning MVP, a special talent and a great player.

But it was one year, I have no doubt he can do it again, BUT there are a lot of other talented QB's in the NFL with SB rings and MVP's. 

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

While Mahomes is special, this is a tad bit over the top. Sure he is the reigning MVP, a special talent and a great player.

But it was one year, I have no doubt he can do it again, BUT there are a lot of other talented QB's in the NFL with SB rings and MVP's. 

I'm simply making the point his physical skills are elite.

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

How many of those went 5k/50 their first year starting?  

I eagerly await the answer.

20 minutes ago, xen said:

How many of those went 5k/50 their first year starting?  

I eagerly await the answer.

Not only that but have a team that is healthy now on offense for the line and also re did their defense from the AFC championship playing team the year before?

Archived