54 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I'm simply making the point his physical skills are elite.

He is not the only one

23 minutes ago, xen said:

How many of those went 5k/50 their first year starting?  

I eagerly await the answer.

Never said he wasn't good

Just now, kkuenn said:

Not only that but have a team that is healthy now on offense for the line and also re did their defense from the AFC championship playing team the year before?

Injuries happen to every team over the course of season.

48 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

He is not the only one

Injuries happen to every team over the course of season.

True injuries happen but i dont think we lose 3/5 our line this year again. We are healthy and have depth pretty much other than at CB. We gained Clark, Ogabah, okafor, moved speaks etc to the line. Have depth at LB and gained a good S that can play and not just hold a spot on the bench. Overall we are better than last year because of the defense change and we are such a young team too.

36 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

lol 50/5 in the first year is good.

that's not good.  NFL history has established what's good in the first year.  Look at the average and something north of that is good.

50/5 in the first year is insanity.  If he ever repeats that feat in his entire career he will be the first.  that's how insane it is.  

3 people in history.  the first 2 were vets well into their careers.

50/5 in the first year is to good as blowjobs are to Meh.

10 minutes ago, xen said:

that's not good.  NFL history has established what's good in the first year.  Look at the average and something north of that is good.

50/5 in the first year is insanity.  If he ever repeats that feat in his entire career he will be the first.  that's how insane it is.  

Only 3 have ever thrown for 50 tds but just 2 have done so with 5000 yards passing.  In the same season,  Manning and Mahomes.

1 hour ago, xen said:

While many here are already giving him GOAT status, I am not. 

Whatever floats your boat

Mahomes is just different from anything I've ever seen at the QB position.
Quote Tweet

dphfVMSD_normal.jpg
Christopher Tenpenny

@Tenpenny88
· 1h
When your're looking at @sammywatkins but throw it to @darrelwilliams_ Only @PatrickMahomes

3:08 PM · Jul 29, 2019·Twitter Web App

It's not "over the top" to say Mahomes is the most physically talented QB in the NFL---combining arm strength, accuracy, general athleticism, etc.  He can "make all the throws" and makes others that no one else does.  I personally think it's true.  Now, I wouldn't say it's beyond debate.  But it's not a ridiculous claim---that was the book on him coming out of college, that he had "otherworldly" arm talent, but he was a risk-taker, etc.

7 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

While many here are already giving him GOAT status, I am not. 

Whatever floats your boat

The goat ya for a qb in a chiefs uniform, as for the nfl kick back he has only played 1 season as a starter. 

8 hours ago, xen said:

60/6,000 is not impossible.

10 hours ago, Troyofoc said:

The goat ya for a qb in a chiefs uniform, as for the nfl kick back he has only played 1 season as a starter. 

While this may become true ( and barring catastrophic injury probably will), needs more than 1 season. 

3 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Other QB's can make all the throws, have accuracy and general athleticism.

But as I said, Mahomes does those things and more.  I'm not just talking about hitting a certain checkmarks, I'm talking about how well he does those physical things, qualities he has that are truly the best of the best.  Who else would you put at his physical level?  Tom Brady doesn't have his physical talent---which is not to say he's better than Brady already.  I think Rodgers is the only one in the ballpark of his physical talent.

5 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

But as I said, Mahomes does those things and more.  I'm not just talking about hitting a certain checkmarks, I'm talking about how well he does those physical things, qualities he has that are truly the best of the best.  Who else would you put at his physical level?  Tom Brady doesn't have his physical talent---which is not to say he's better than Brady already.  I think Rodgers is the only one in the ballpark of his physical talent.

Rogers would be my first choice. Others do things better than PM but he does certain things better than they do. Overall, there are a bunch of talented QB's.

22 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Rogers would be my first choice. Others do things better than PM but he does certain things better than they do. Overall, there are a bunch of talented QB's.

First, very bold of you to carry on this discussion for multiple posts but not bring up any specific examples other than Rodgers after I had already mentioned him.  Stunning.  Brave!  🙂

We're talking about raw physical talent/tools, which is fairly subjective.  It doesn't boil down solely to arm strength, accuracy, and athleticism, but let's take a look at the league based on those three things.

On Rodgers vs. Mahomes, I think Mahomes has a small but clear cut edge in arm strength.  Rodgers has been more accurate for his career by the numbers, but those stats reflect more than just arm talent, they reflect scheme, decision making, game situations, etc.  So looking at raw tools and talent I don't know how conclusively you can rank Rodgers above Mahomes.  But let's give Rodgers a small edge.  Athleticism is pretty similar I would say, but maybe the edge to Mahomes because he's younger.  This is why I rank Mahomes ahead of Rodgers but I can see the argument for Rodgers, especially if one were to say I'm not giving him enough credit on accuracy and if you weight that more strongly.

Some of the other best QBs in the league?  Brees and Brady clearly do not have Mahomes' arm strength or athleticism.  You might have a similar discussion about their accuracy as you do with Rodgers, but let's give them (particularly Brees) an edge in that regard.  Still they don't belong in the discussion for "best physical tools," they've become Hall of Famers based more on the mental side, not raw physical tools, except, perhaps, for Brees' accuracy.

Other big-armed QBs?  Roethlisberger, Stafford, Ryan, even Josh Allen...none of these guys has a *bigger* arm than Mahomes except maybe Allen (and I'd only rank them similarly).  Mahomes accuracy is probably better than all of them except Ryan.  Mahomes' athleticism is better than all of them except for Allen (though again I wouldn't say Allen is better), but Allen's accuracy is by far the worst of this group, so he's not in the discussion for best physical tools.

Other QBs known for their athleticism?  Watson is fairly accurate and more athletic than Mahomes, but his arm strength just doesn't match up, and in that case I think you have to give the edge to the guy with arm talent.  Newton is the opposite, could have gone in the previous paragraph perhaps:  he's more athletic than Mahomes, big arm but not bigger than Mahomes (especially coming off of injury), and his accuracy is significantly worse.  Again, I think you have to give Mahomes the edge based on overall arm talent.

New guys it's hard to say, probably the only one worth discussing is Mayfield.  I would say you've got similar accuracy and athleticism but again a decent edge in arm strength for Mahomes.

So, I'm being generous in how I've described it.  Again, I would give the overall edge to Mahomes over all of these guys, the only guy I think is close is Rodgers, because in Mahomes you're basically talking about being #1 in arm strength and then top tier in accuracy and athleticism before you get to all of the other crazy physical stuff he can do---back foot throws, no look throws, across-his-body throws, etc.

Archived