Giants apparently want DeMarcus Robinson

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

There was a report on the radio today, not sure how accurate or informed, that Reid is surprised at how quickly Hardman is picking up the offense and the number of things he has learned at this point.  Does that mean he's passed Robinson as the #3?  Could be.  At least he runs the routes rather than doing the Robinson free lance.  With Pringle, Kemp, and Davis there is an excess of WRs who could make the roster.  Better to get something for Robinson than to give away talent with more upside.

Still plenty of time to see how it pans out.  Competition is great.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Yep. Add not subtract. Mecole is on his way to being #3. But a strength can be a weakness with an injury or 2. Keep what we got IMO.

That could be said about any position group.  It's always a compromise to set the final roster.  If Robinson is the #4 and a lot better than whoever ends up being #5, then you have a point.  If the Chiefs can get something for trading Robinson, they are losing very little IMHO.  Robinson could get 30 catches but do we know that whoever replaces him would do less?

33 minutes ago, jetlord said:

That could be said about any position group.  It's always a compromise to set the final roster.  If Robinson is the #4 and a lot better than whoever ends up being #5, then you have a point.  If the Chiefs can get something for trading Robinson, they are losing very little IMHO.  Robinson could get 30 catches but do we know that whoever replaces him would do less?

The question should be... if Sammy or Tyreek get injured for the season (knock on wood) how would he look as a starter?

1 hour ago, xen said:

The question should be... if Sammy or Tyreek get injured for the season (knock on wood) how would he look as a starter?

Probably no better than Hardman.  We could play this game with any position.  Should the Chiefs keep Sorenson just in case HB gets hurt or X. Williams just in case Nnadi goes down?  The Chiefs are deeper in WR than nearly any group and there's about eight guys who could play on a lot of teams.  It just makes sense to trade one for whatever value they can bring. 

20 hours ago, jetlord said:

Probably no better than Hardman.  We could play this game with any position.  Should the Chiefs keep Sorenson just in case HB gets hurt or X. Williams just in case Nnadi goes down?  The Chiefs are deeper in WR than nearly any group and there's about eight guys who could play on a lot of teams.  It just makes sense to trade one for whatever value they can bring. 

I would say yes. If you are the first guy off the bench you have value. Injuries happen. Not sure Dan or Williams is the first guy off the bench, but if they are and they are cheap, it’s a no brainer. Depth matters.

Just now, jetlord said:

True, but so do draft picks and cap space.   It's a balancing act. 

Just saying we are trying to win a Super Bowl this year. Before Mahomes gets the crippling contact that he deserves. Drob makes nothing. If we get some injuries in December, do you want to roll into the playoffs with Pat throwing to Drob or a 2020 4th round draft pick? 

On 8/13/2019 at 7:37 PM, DieHard said:

Yep. Add not subtract. Mecole is on his way to being #3. But a strength can be a weakness with an injury or 2. Keep what we got IMO.

Especially considering Sammy Watkins plays for us. May as well scratch him out 3 to 4 games over the year. Depth is key.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Just saying we are trying to win a Super Bowl this year. Before Mahomes gets the crippling contact that he deserves. Drob makes nothing. If we get some injuries in December, do you want to roll into the playoffs with Pat throwing to Drob or a 2020 4th round draft pick? 

Sorry that I'm repeating myself, but if injuries occur then Pat can throw to Drob or he can throw to Kemp or Pringle, or Thompson or whoever are the #5 or #6 WRs.  Assuming that Hardman is #3, I just don't see the season hanging on the difference between #4 and #5   The Chiefs are loaded at WR.  Admittedly, not all are ready for prime time, but none, including Drob will be the go to guy in any games. 

4 hours ago, DieHard said:

With all the positive reports coming out I'm not even sure if Robinson is a lock for the #3 WR role. Hardman is likely going to win that spot during the season, if not sooner, and guys like Kemp or Pringle could very well push for that role. 

Robinson has been around for 3 years and never exceeded 5 receptions in a single game or 89 yards. Everyone is acting like he's a proven veteran that actually achieved something in his career. If the interest in him is for real then he'll leave next year like Wilson and it makes much more sense to get a pick/player for him rather than thinking "what if" scenarios. It's not like he's our only backup or even the best one. 

On 8/13/2019 at 11:42 PM, jetlord said:

I actually agree with this.  I like DRob but you're right, I count 7 guys who could contribute very well this year currently on the roster.  That's not counting any of the rookies outside of Mecole, some of whom are looking pretty, pretty good.  We're likely only keeping 6.  

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

With all the positive reports coming out I'm not even sure if Robinson is a lock for the #3 WR role. Hardman is likely going to win that spot during the season, if not sooner, and guys like Kemp or Pringle could very well push for that role. 

Robinson has been around for 3 years and never exceeded 5 receptions in a single game or 89 yards. Everyone is acting like he's a proven veteran that actually achieved something in his career. If the interest in him is for real then he'll leave next year like Wilson and it makes much more sense to get a pick/player for him rather than thinking "what if" scenarios. It's not like he's our only backup or even the best one. 

Point well made. Thats why he is not worth a 3 round pick. Maybe a 5 in todays all offense NFL.

In none of these posts has anyone mentioned Robinson's great value on special teams.  Toub considers him a key player who can play kicks or kick coverage very well..  Toub has a lot of power, is going to become a head coach somewhere, and his special teams were fantastic in the first pre-season game. I can't recall a single ST snap that didn't shift things in favor of the Chiefs.  All I have read are comparisons about the receivers, whether a receiver might get injured, and how good or bad Robinson is at receiving.

Folks, ST is a third of the game. It is key to the Chiefs' superiority. To discount it when considering Robinson's value is a classic example of tunnel vision.  DRob is likely to stay for that reason, just like Sorenson is staying.  The Chiefs value versatility, speed, and intelligence in their players and in their decisions. In that sense, he is irreplaceable on this roster.

8 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

In none of these posts has anyone mentioned Robinson's great value on special teams.  Toub considers him a key player who can play kicks or kick coverage very well..  Toub has a lot of power, is going to become a head coach somewhere, and his special teams were fantastic in the first pre-season game. I can't recall a single ST snap that didn't shift things in favor of the Chiefs.  All I have read are comparisons about the receivers, whether a receiver might get injured, and how good or bad Robinson is at receiving.

Folks, ST is a third of the game. It is key to the Chiefs' superiority. To discount it when considering Robinson's value is a classic example of tunnel vision.  DRob is likely to stay for that reason, just like Sorenson is staying.  The Chiefs value versatility, speed, and intelligence in their players and in their decisions. In that sense, he is irreplaceable on this roster.

Agree. Another reason he stays in KC. He is more valuable to KC than other teams.

18 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Agree. Another reason he stays in KC. He is more valuable to KC than other teams.

Obviously it all comes down to the compensation. If they offer us a conditional late pick then the staff should evaluate the trade accordingly but for a 3rd or a 4th I would definitely pull the trigger. Other than that any CB that can make our final roster is probably good enough and should be our priority if the interest is for real. 

I agree that we probably value Robinson a lot more than others would like everyone else does with their own players. That's why a player exchange is more realistic IMO. 

16 hours ago, sith13 said:

I agree Mecole will likely win the #3 at some point. I don’t think Hardman fills in for Sammie if he gets hurt. I would like to see Pringle or Davis make a claim to the backup outside WR spot. I’d Drob is going to fall to #5 I would be OK with moving him. If not, I am I want to hang onto him.

Many of the Chiefs cuts on Offense will get snapped up by the rest of the league.

If KC can manage a trade or two (WR  or RB) it will pay dividends vs guys going on the Chargers and Patriots scout teams.

Chiefs have managed to achieve crazy good depth this season - at least on O

w

2 hours ago, West said:

Many of the Chiefs cuts on Offense will get snapped up by the rest of the league.

If KC can manage a trade or two (WR  or RB) it will pay dividends vs guys going on the Chargers and Patriots scout teams.

Chiefs have managed to achieve crazy good depth this season - at least on O

w

I think the Chiefs could trade Drob, Hyde, Sorenson, or X. Williams without degrading the team to any extent.  Maybe they need Sorenson if Lucas is out long term, but I'd be comfortable with Williams, Williams, Thompson at RB and Clark, Okafor, Nnadi, Kpass, Jones, Speaks, Saunders, Ogbah and maybe Ivie rotating on the D line. 

4 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Sorensen is never needed on this team: 

this guy gets beat constantly in the big moments 

watts lucas badger thornhill 

He ain't going anywhere.  Might as well get used to it (don't quote me :lol: )  Special teams absolutely killed it against Cincy.  Sorenson is a major cog in our ST dominance.  It is almost irrelevant what he does on D.  Again, the illusion that players and teams should be evaluated only by O and D without regarding ST, is dominant thinking on forums.  It is a common but huge mistake.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Marcus Kemp on IR.   And so ends this thread.  Robinson is a guaranteed Chief receiver and ST cog.

Probably correct.  The question is which two are #5 and #6?  Pringle, Cody Thompson, Davis.  Two of those will make the team. 

Archived