Keith Reasor Achilles tear

Between 1997-2002   31 NFL players tore their  Achilles 

Between  2011-2015,  44 NFL players tore their Achilles  

Who wants to bet against that number going up over the next 5 years   

https://www.ozy.com/the-huddle/the-achilles-heel-of-pro-footballers-literally/76835

https://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

7 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Between 1997-2002   31 NFL players tore their  Achilles 

Between  2011-2015,  44 NFL players tore their Achilles  

Who wants to bet against that number going up over the next 5 years   

https://www.ozy.com/the-huddle/the-achilles-heel-of-pro-footballers-literally/76835

https://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Yep.  Bigger faster stronger... ligaments and tendons stay the same though.  More stress on the joints, more sudden movements.  This will get worse.  

3 hours ago, xen said:

Yep.  Bigger faster stronger... ligaments and tendons stay the same though.  More stress on the joints, more sudden movements.  This will get worse.  

Same issue with all the pitchers in baseball and tommy john..

1 hour ago, xen said:

Yep

Might be.  We really don't know, though, because there was no such thing as "Tommy John surgery" until the last decade or less.  When that injury happened, the pitcher would just fade from view with a career ending injury that was never diagnosed as an exact injury that can be fixed.  It takes an MRI to see that kind of detail. Now, a pitcher always gets an MRI when the elbow chronically hurts.  So, this statistic may be an artifact of technology rather than increasing incidence.

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Evolution has not caught up. This is an excellent point.

I am always amused by this evolution analogy.  The only thing that drives evolution is survivability, and even that takes hundreds of thousands of years to select for mutations that make something more survivable, at least in animals that have lifespans like humans.

9 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I am always amused by this evolution analogy.  The only thing that drives evolution is survivability, and even that takes hundreds of thousands of years to select for mutations that make something more survivable, at least in animals that have lifespans like humans.

Bullshit. I have been married since 1998 and I can tell you my hearing evolved to not listen to a certain frequency until required to. I can watch a game and then listen to my wife now at the same time if I choose to do so. All married men evolve like this after severe beatings from their wives for not listening.

13 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Bullshit. I have been married since 1998 and I can tell you my hearing evolved to not listen to a certain frequency until required to. I can watch a game and then listen to my wife now at the same time if I choose to do so. All married men evolve like this after severe beatings from their wives for not listening.

My God, you are right! :lol:    Still, it SEEMS like a hundred thousand years.  And it IS about survivability.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Might be.  We really don't know, though, because there was no such thing as "Tommy John surgery" until the last decade or less.  When that injury happened, the pitcher would just fade from view with a career ending injury that was never diagnosed as an exact injury that can be fixed.  It takes an MRI to see that kind of detail. Now, a pitcher always gets an MRI when the elbow chronically hurts.  So, this statistic may be an artifact of technology rather than increasing incidence.

But what about all the Rubber arms??

dudes throwing back to back games or double headers?

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Dude do you just say shit to say it?  Or do you not follow baseball.  Or the internet?

Tony John surgery was named after Tommy John, a pitcher who first had the procedure in the 70's.  It was called dead arm before that.  They knew the problem just had no fix.

It's a repetitive motion injury from wear and tear, and instances have risen as has the average pitch speed, which puts more strain on the ligament.

Stick to pathology brah.

1 hour ago, xen said:

I mean the procedure has been around for almost 50 years, but whatevs.  50, less than a decade... potato tomahto... 

I didn't know the procedure was that old. See?  If I had been an orthopedic surgeon, I would have known that.  At least I knew Tommy John was the pitcher it was named after.  Duh.  When he dies, I can tell you why, though.  Old age. 

I do need to keep my trap shut and look stuff up before I post it.

Isn't the injury caused by repetitive use of one kind of pitch? 

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I didn't know the procedure was that old. See?  If I had been an orthopedic surgeon, I would have known that.  At least I knew Tommy John was the pitcher it was named after.  Duh.  When he dies, I can tell you why, though.  Old age. 

I do need to keep my trap shut and look stuff up before I post it.

Isn't the injury caused by repetitive use of one kind of pitch? 

Man these kids now get after it.  They're throwing fireballs.  Another problem is guys trying to learn to throw a curveball before their bodies are developed.  It's really stressful on the arm.  

The number of guys who can throw 100+ has been exponentially increasing.  Hell the Padres alone have 6 guys that can get 100+ on the major league roster.  

Nolan Ryan used to rule MLB cause he could touch 100.  In 2017 over 80 guys in the MINORS alone threw 100+ in a game.

14 hours ago, xen said:

Man these kids now get after it.  They're throwing fireballs.  Another problem is guys trying to learn to throw a curveball before their bodies are developed.  It's really stressful on the arm.  

The number of guys who can throw 100+ has been exponentially increasing.  Hell the Padres alone have 6 guys that can get 100+ on the major league roster.  

Nolan Ryan used to rule MLB cause he could touch 100.  In 2017 over 80 guys in the MINORS alone threw 100+ in a game.

I remember Nolan Ryan reached 104 mph at times.  I don't think he used a curve much.  Pretty much just a fireballer.  I thought it was the curve that was the most stressful as far as the Tommy John injury,  but I was not sure.  These young guys should work on throwing a bigger curve that doesn't have as much velocity.  It seems like they want to throw a curve that also moves very fast. 

22 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I am always amused that mutation like you can make something simple so complicated. FFS

Archived