Jones close to an extension?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Agreed. I would go 15-16 at the most. Make it around 75 million ish with good guarantee miney like the Falcons DT got.

We pretty much know this. If he has another good year, he's gonna get in the 20-21 million per season area. 

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

If he took a deal like Grady got, he should hit himself in the nuts than fire his stupid agent.  

Grady is a tier underneath him.

Yeah there's no way he goes for that at this point.  Nor should he.  He's already resigned himself to playing the year out if necessary.

4 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

If he took a deal like Grady got, he should hit himself in the nuts than fire his stupid agent.  

Grady is a tier underneath him.

Grady got 4 years 68 mil woth 42 guaranteed. Guve jones 55 to 60 guaranteed and it is a better deal. Hell go 5 years at 75 million with 60 guaranteed making the 5th year 15 million deal but guaranteed money done and paid in 4 years. They pay 15 mil guaranteed per year for 4 years. If not, we keep him for 3 more years at 42 million with tags and we dont worry about the 4th year 18 milllion more he would have had. We hold some pretty good cards here.

8 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Grady got 4 years 68 mil woth 42 guaranteed. Guve jones 55 to 60 guaranteed and it is a better deal. Hell go 5 years at 75 million with 60 guaranteed making the 5th year 15 million deal but guaranteed money done and paid in 4 years. They pay 15 mil guaranteed per year for 4 years. If not, we keep him for 3 more years at 42 million with tags and we dont worry about the 4th year 18 milllion more he would have had. We hold some pretty good cards here.

He's going to want 17+ per.  That's where Jarrett and Fletcher Cox are.  If he has another year like last year he'll deserve it.  I think KC may want to see it in this scheme first.  Don't really blame either side for digging in.

11 minutes ago, xen said:

He's going to want 17+ per.  That's where Jarrett and Fletcher Cox are.  If he has another year like last year he'll deserve it.  I think KC may want to see it in this scheme first.  Don't really blame either side for digging in.

He wants Frank Clark money. 20 million per year. Veach has been offering franchise tag number around 15.  If we wait, it’s gonna be 20 plus if he plays well again. Or we can just tag him and hope he doesnt hold out next year.  

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

He wants Frank Clark money. 20 million per year. Veach has been offering franchise tag number around 15.  If we wait, it’s gonna be 20 plus if he plays well again. Or we can just tag him and hope he doesnt hold out next year.  

So tag him and if he holds out, then Nnadi and Saunders start next year.  We worry too much on this board about front office stuff.  A few weeks ago the world was coming to an end because Jones hadn't announced he was reporting to TC.  Before that it was the end of the Chiefs chances because Hill wasn't cleared yet.  Can't we just enjoy football without all the off field drama?

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So tag him and if he holds out, then Nnadi and Saunders start next year.  We worry too much on this board about front office stuff.  A few weeks ago the world was coming to an end because Jones hadn't announced he was reporting to TC.  Before that it was the end of the Chiefs chances because Hill wasn't cleared yet.  Can't we just enjoy football without all the off field drama?

Huh? Why respond to a post specifically about extending our best young defensive player, if you don’t want to discuss it? 

Plenty of strings dedicated to onfield football options. 

17 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Huh? Why respond to a post specifically about extending our best young defensive player, if you don’t want to discuss it? 

Plenty of strings dedicated to onfield football options. 

Armchair GM'ing is a favorite pastime on any football forum at contract times.   I agree.  People have fun doing it and don't need to be criticized for participating in it, even if it is just amateur BS. 

11 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Unless veach is leaking nobody in the media knows what he's asking for, they're just guessing like us.  I said 17+ because that should be the minimum he's asking for, not the max.  Sorry I thought that was implicit in my post.  

Personally I would get Tyreek done and tag him a few times.  If he keeps earning it, tag and trade on tag #2.  At that point his value should be sky high.

3 hours ago, robgar said:

next year the options are a lot more limmitted unless something changes with the cba.

Not in all ways.  If they get to the last year of the CBA without an extension that overrides it, we will have more options. 

In the last year of this CBA teams can use both a franchise tag and a transition tag in the same year.

Just now, xen said:

Not in all ways.  If they get to the last year of the CBA without an extension that overrides it, we will have more options. 

In the last year of this CBA teams can use both a franchise tag and a transition tag in the same year.

What is a transition tag?

6 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

A transition tag is a tool used by National Football League teams to retain unrestricted free agents. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player may make with another team.

7 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Franchise tag is average of top 5 players at your position.

Transition tag is the average of the top 10 players.  Basically it turns an unrestricted free agent into a restricted free agent.  Club gets right of first refusal on any contract the player agrees to with another team.  No compensation if they don't exercise it.

14 minutes ago, xen said:

Didn't know that. Basically takes away the pressure of paying either Hill or Jones this year. The price for both will likely go up next year but it still helps if the staff has some question marks about either or both of the players. 

9 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Didn't know that. Basically takes away the pressure of paying either Hill or Jones this year. The price for both will likely go up next year but it still helps if the staff has some question marks about either or both of the players. 

As it stands, however, 2020 does not project to be a normal year in the NFL contract landscape. Because the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between the league's players and owners expires at the end of the 2020 season, next year is referred to in the CBA as the "Final League Year." And in the Final League Year, some critical contract rules are different.

Assuming no agreement on a new CBA is reached between now and March 2020, contract structures next offseason will be affected. And because of that, long-term contract structures and teams' long-range plans could be affected this offseason. To play off our lead example above, for instance: Article 10 of the CBA stipulates that, in the Final League Year, teams are allowed to designate one franchise player and one transition player. So, in a hypothetical (and, frankly, unlikely) example in which neither Prescott nor Cooper is signed to a long-term extension by the end of the 2019 season and no new CBA is negotiated by next March, the Cowboys would have the ability to keep both of those players off the open market by designating one a franchise player and the other a transition player.

There also is no post June 1st cut etc.  Article link below.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

1 hour ago, xen said:

Unless veach is leaking nobody in the media knows what he's asking for, they're just guessing like us.  I said 17+ because that should be the minimum he's asking for, not the max.  Sorry I thought that was implicit in my post.  

Personally I would get Tyreek done and tag him a few times.  If he keeps earning it, tag and trade on tag #2.  At that point his value should be sky high.

Sam Mellinger has been pretty adamant about these numbers for weeks now in terms of what Veach has offered and what Jones wants. I’ve very confident he knows what he’s talking. Bottom line is Veach is saying we will pay you early but it’s going to be franchise tag yearly numbers because the club has all the leverage. 15 mil per.   

This past week the 17 million dollar number (which falls very near the middle of those two) emerged  from several other sources. Appears to be a compromise.  One has a pretty good track record, but I’m less confident in this report even though multiple sources are reporting it. Same people are saying the core terms of a deal with Tyreek are also in place. 

15 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Sam Mellinger has been pretty adamant about these numbers for weeks now in terms of what Veach has offered and what Jones wants. I’ve very confident he knows what he’s talking about  

The 17 million dollar number (which falls very near the middle of those two) is coming from several other sources. One has a pretty good track record, but I’m less confident in this report. We will know soon enough.  

Well 17 mil per season at 5 years is 80 million. That is not bad at all and guarantee say 65 mil of it. He gets more guaranteed money but we keep it at 17 mil per year which is doable.

14 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well 17 mil per season at 5 years is 80 million. That is not bad at all and guarantee say 65 mil of it. He gets more guaranteed money but we keep it at 17 mil per year which is doable.

Agree. Again if we wait and Jones posts another double digit sack season, he’s gonna command 20 million plus per and higher guarantee most importantly. This is the route Dorsey took with Berry and Houston and it was a disaster. 

Do we want Jones or not? Is there some question about how he will fit in new scheme?  From what I’m hearing we absolutely want him and have no concern over the scheme change. If that’s true, why wait if we can save up to 15 million dollars?

I get both sides of this. It’s a gamble. But don’t we want to gamble on 25 year old homegrown emerging star?  Seems like building D around Clark and Jones. And offense around Mahomes and Tyreek makes a lot of sense.  

Archived