So Tyreek Hill wants big money. Well. Does he deserve it?

I think you sign him this time and pay the premium as Pat continues to grow and develop. I think over the next 3 years, if not now, much like Brady it will be Pat that makes average receivers great and they will become easily replaceable much like how NE operates. For now, you do this signing and then draft a developmental every year hereafter.  

44 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Interesting.  I do however see nearly every team with a high level QB though paying a high level WR.  The Pats are always an exception to that although even they take constant shots on troubled high level weapons.

More on point I think Veach is all about keeping the band together through 2021 when the MVPs money will kick in.  At that point the finances will have to change. Every big contract he’s handed out reflect and give flexibility beyond that. 

Hopefully Pat waits until the new CBA. So many weapons on offense sure helps his growth as being in a winning culture does reflect on the player. Tying big money in a position to a single player basically means adding either inexperienced youngsters to the position or having a single point of failure in case of injuries. I like the Pats approach in that sense as they always seem to have a fallback plan at hand. 

We have a lot of flexibility right now since we are not spending any money on two of the most expensive positions at QB and CB. So Veach can actually spend as much as he wants elsewhere but once those start to kick in we'll probably have to have a different identity in terms of FAs/resignings. If Mahomes' growth is done by then we could be saving a lot of money on offensive skill players.

12 hours ago, qnet said:

If he can get his personal life straight, and have no issues he's 1000 percent worth it to me. Bowe was a solid receiver, a little better than what the Chiefs had in the DV regime, he just didn't work at it enough IMO. 

Tyreek Hill is on another level IMO, has football intelligence and works hard from what I've seen.

Needs to work on the 'off field intelligence'

It's probable that Drew Rosenhaus being in town means Hill is close to a contract.  Don't know if he's still here but they had to be talking about something other than the weather.  The sticking points are probably those mentioned earlier in this thread such as giving the Chiefs an out if Hill gets into legal trouble or is suspended by Goodell.  Someone reported the dollars are agreed to but the structure has not been.  Don't know if it's true, but any long term contract with Hill is risky. 

I was thinking back of when the last team won a SB with a top 5 paid WR. I thought it was rare and I went back to 2011.  Only one team had a top 5 cap hit WR. In 2016, the Broncos did with Thomas as the #3 biggest cap hit. 

This year, I think we will set a modern record by winning a SB with the biggest cap hit WR in the NFL. Sammie Watkins has the leagues biggest cap hit. 

Am I saying that high dollar WRs hurt your chances? No. Of course not. But I think a lot of divas are more of a negative than a positive. Hill is no a diva. I think he deserves top 5 money. 

6 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Needs to work on the 'off field intelligence'

6 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

They are indeed two far different things. 

Yes, true. I've heard Reid say he's a intelligent player, that's why I emphasized football intelligence.  

1 hour ago, qnet said:

Yes, true. I've heard Reid say he's a intelligent player, that's why I emphasized football intelligence.  

Heard that as well. Instinctive guy who learned a very difficult system and a new position at the same time. Clearly he’s smart period. Emotional IQ is the question.  Or just anger although he seems to have a much better overall handle on that than Kareem Hunt based on the number of incidents. 

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

On field, yes.

Off field history, no.

Better have big character clauses in his big deal if you do it.

I’m sure that goes into everyone’s contract. Heck bailed us out with D Bowe.  But that guaranteed money is the issue. I don’t think you can get that back vs CAP. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Heard that as well. Instinctive guy who learned a very difficult system and a new position at the same time. Clearly he’s smart period. Emotional IQ is the question.  Or just anger although he seems to have a much better overall handle on that than Kareem Hunt based on the number of incidents. 

Hard Dick is blind as well as stupid

Archived