Training Camp Updates 2019

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Custis sighting.  Hot name early seems destined for the PS but good to see something 

·
28m

Custis just flashed for the first time since I have been at camp. Looked like he stole the ball from the defender behind him on a slightly underthrown bal

5 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

The MRI on #Chiefs WR Marcus Kemp confirmed the initial diagnosis from Saturday, he torn the ACL and MCL in his knee, per source. The injury ends his season, and unfortunately comes just as he was coming into his own as a receiver. Was having a very strong camp.

Sad news.  Feel bad for Kemp, but at least the Chiefs are pretty deep in #5 type receivers. 

Tuesday Reid Update

- Kemp to IR - Speaks out (knee being evaluated) - Yelder out (ankle sprain) - Dieter out (back) - M. Hunter out (groin) - Lovett out (shoulder) - Hill out (excused for personal reasons) - Mathieu partial practice (shoulder)

2 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Tuesday Reid Update

- Kemp to IR - Speaks out (knee being evaluated) - Yelder out (ankle sprain) - Dieter out (back) - M. Hunter out (groin) - Lovett out (shoulder) - Hill out (excused for personal reasons) - Mathieu partial practice (shoulder)

Sounds like Tyreek probably has a court date for custody or a counseling appointment

17 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Not saying it is.

But considering he had a whole offseason of "personal issues" seeing "personal reasons" cited does grab my attention just a tiny bit.

Correct

He could have been getting an oil change

or he could have been getting counseling

The Kansas City Chiefs were back at it on Tuesday, practicing in Kansas City for the first time since leaving St. Joseph. Familiar faces in offensive lineman Jeff Allen and wide receiver De’Anthony Thomas made appearances, but there were two other changes worth noting.

First, Cam Erving primarily worked at left guard with the first team, while Andrew Wylie got most of his work at Erving’s usual position—tackle with the second team.

“[Erving] and Andrew, they’ve been interchangeable, but neither one of them have gotten a lot of reps at other spots,” Reid explained after practice. “We said, ‘All right, let’s just let them get in there and work it.’ Cam got work with the ones at the left guard spot and Andrew took the left tackle/right tackle stuff with the other group and kind of rotated in, too.

“He got a lot of good reps in. We’ve always done that here. We try to keep the guys flexible.”

Then Reid mentioned Allen.

“That’s one thing with Jeff Allen,” he said. “Jeff Allen could play all three positions. There’s some value there.”

In my view, the starting offensive line is still Eric Fisher, Wylie, Austin Reiter, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif and Mitch Schwartz (left to right), but the Chiefs are seeing what they have. If, for example, the Chiefs lost one of their tackles due to injury, would it be a better lineup to slide Wylie outside—keeping Erving inside—rather than simply putting Erving at tackle?

The second change involved now-running back Tremon Smith, who was working as a receiver on Tuesday.

“We told him when we moved him to running back, we wanted a guy that could kind of swing in between the two,” Reid said of the former cornerback. “(Wide receivers coach) Greg (Lewis) actually wanted to get him over there earlier because he runs, he’s a good athlete. It was good to get him a little bit of work in there and learn that part. That kind of player in this offense ends up being invaluable. If you can do both, it’s a valuable position.”

I’m having trouble seeing how Smith makes the Chiefs’ roster—especially with the return of Thomas—but the Chiefs are providing him every opportunity to prove otherwise.

FANATIC TAKE ....I think Smith will make the team with Hyde cut.

Adam TeicherVerified account @adamteicher
FollowFollow @adamteicher
More

Since you were dying to know, the Chiefs caught 1,003 punts and kickoffs at training camp. Mecole Hardman caught 376 of them. These figures are courtesy of Dave Toub and this attention to detail is one reason he's the best special teams coach around

Fanatic Take: this is why guys pointing to what they see in pre season games as reality are in no way in the know.

Aaron Borgmann @RehabAllStar
FollowFollow @RehabAllStar
More

Aaron Borgmann Retweeted Pete Sweeney

This matches what we talked about earlier in the week & fits what we have been told. Common w/ hyperextension injuries & more likely associated bone bruising anteriorly. Biggest obstacle is swelling & regaining quad tone post injury IF that’s what’s going on @ArrowheadPride

Aaron Borgmann added,

Pete Sweeney @pgsween
Andy Reid on Breeland Speaks (knee): “I’m having him meet with some doctors here and just checking that thing (knee) out and letting it calm down and see where we’re at… some of it’s the swelling. I can’t tell you the whole thing, because I’m a coach.”
Show this thread
11:53 AM - 22 Aug 2019 from Kansas City, MO

The Kansas City Star's Brooke Pryor reports rookie Darwin Thompson has leaped Carlos Hyde on the depth chart and has been getting goal-line work with the first-team offense.

Pryor is the latest Chiefs beat writer to leave Hyde off her 53-man roster projection, keeping Thompson along with Damien and Darrel Williams. Thompson has been so good this preseason, and Hyde has been as bad as Thompson has been good. All Hyde has going for him is his veteran presence; he doesn't play special teams, either. Thompson is picking up big-time steam as a late-round fantasy pick. It's going to be tough to keep him off the field.

Archived