• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not worried.  If he doesn't play well this year he gets cut and we already have two guys who could play his spot next year on the roster.  If he plays up to his potential then we got a bargain for the next two years.

We don't have to get all worked up about deals like this until Mahomes gets his massive ext.

1 hour ago, xen said:

I like our tackles and am ok with paying them considering their durability but Reiter and Wiley are just more in a long line of interior linemen that Reid just finds.  And they'll have the new draft pick ready when they need him as well.  No need to overpay.

I'm glad you brought that up. I remember after the DV era how hard it was for the Chiefs to have good consistent play from the OLIne. Andy Reid gets hired, and it really hasn't been a problem since. They haven't all been all-world but very solid. 

Are we watching the same line?  I feel like we're really just average.  Having a QB like Alex hurt the line play, having one like Patrick makes it look better.  Overall scheme of quick passes takes pressure off the line but I don't feel confident that we can get a tough yard regularly.

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

Are we watching the same line?  I feel like we're really just average.  Having a QB like Alex hurt the line play, having one like Patrick makes it look better.  Overall scheme of quick passes takes pressure off the line but I don't feel confident that we can get a tough yard regularly.

Andy runs zone blocking schemes.  We're never going to have a power blocking scheme and it will never be the type of line to power thru a defense for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. 

He wants athleticism over power.  The results speak for themselves.  Andy has consistently adjusted his zone blocking to accommodate different types of linemen.  His adaptation to more outside zone blocking with Hunt was a thing of beauty. 

6 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

That wasn't even the worst contract Dorsey wrote that month.  It's tame compared to the shit deal he gave to Sorenson.

Said it forever that Dorsey has no fucking idea how to gauge proper value.

I don't understand where the lack of respect for Dirty Dan comes from.  How could Sorenson have had good performance in a position group like that last year?  He is a hard hitter and knows where to be on the field.  I think Sorenson will surprise most people and have a great year in a  group with Mathieu and Thornhill.  This is not a Bob Sutton defense he will be playing in. Another huge value for Sorenson is that he is a special teams ace.  That is worth quite a few bucks.  I'll give Dorsey a pass on his Sorenson contract.

11 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Well he did good with Schwartz coming here on the cheap. LDT will need to play a whole season this year.

Yep Schwartz was a great pickup. Waiver pickups were also really good as well as most of the trades but I guess Dorsey had a soft spot for guys he drafted. 

9 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I don't understand where the lack of respect for Dirty Dan comes from.  How could Sorenson have had good performance in a position group like that last year?  He is a hard hitter and knows where to be on the field.  I think Sorenson will surprise most people and have a great year in a  group with Mathieu and Thornhill.  This is not a Bob Sutton defense he will be playing in. Another huge value for Sorenson is that he is a special teams ace.  That is worth quite a few bucks.  I'll give Dorsey a pass on his Sorenson contract.

Dirty Dan is currently the 29th highest paid safety in the NFL.  Slight overpay but considering his special teams work, if they can get some quality sub package work out of him it'll be fine.  We've seen him do good work before.  Starts with him being used correctly and not starting.  

12 hours ago, xen said:

Andy runs zone blocking schemes.  We're never going to have a power blocking scheme and it will never be the type of line to power thru a defense for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. 

He wants athleticism over power.  The results speak for themselves.  Andy has consistently adjusted his zone blocking to accommodate different types of linemen.  His adaptation to more outside zone blocking with Hunt was a thing of beauty. 

I mean, I think we are mostly saying the same thing.  Our line is tailored to a specific scheme that allows the offense to be great with only average line players.  Because of that, we have specific strengths and weaknesses.  One of the weaknesses is our ability to get tough yards in goal line or 3rd/4th and short situations.  It also burned us last year in the Chargers game when we were trying to burn clock from deep in our territory and we got swallowed up.

3 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I mean, I think we are mostly saying the same thing.  Our line is tailored to a specific scheme that allows the offense to be great with only average line players.  Because of that, we have specific strengths and weaknesses.  One of the weaknesses is our ability to get tough yards in goal line or 3rd/4th and short situations.  It also burned us last year in the Chargers game when we were trying to burn clock from deep in our territory and we got swallowed up.

To clarify, I should say that Schwartz is clearly above average, I'm not sure anyone else is.

Reid is definitely playing to the strengths of his OL. As a single unit the OL performs much better than individual levels of each player suggest excluding Schwartz who IMO is a top player at his position. We've had a lot of FAs leave for decent deals but not sure if any of them actually lived up to those contracts outside KC.

29 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Man I hope that guy hangs it up. Great dude. More to life than football.

He should, of course, but he won't.  The more concussions, the easier it is to get another one.  After a few, PTE is almost inevitable years later.  I worry about Kelce.  At least they catch the signs early, get them off the field, and make them convalesce for 3-4 weeks now.  Morse's must have been bad.  I seem to recall he was out for a long time. I also worry about Mahomes.  He hasn't had one, but there are going to be players out there who are head-hunting for him.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

He should, of course, but he won't.  The more concussions, the easier it is to get another one.  After a few, PTE is almost inevitable years later.  I worry about Kelce.  At least they catch the signs early, get them off the field, and make them convalesce for 3-4 weeks now.  Morse's must have been bad.  I seem to recall he was out for a long time. I also worry about Mahomes.  He hasn't had one, but there are going to be players out there who are head-hunting for him.

Maybe we should be more worried about someone pulling a "Pollard" on Mahomes.  The guy gets a 15 yd. penalty and Mahomes goes on the DL with a bad knee.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Maybe we should be more worried about someone pulling a "Pollard" on Mahomes.  The guy gets a 15 yd. penalty and Mahomes goes on the DL with a bad knee.

But he was playing for you guys at the time so it wasn't a dirty hit......

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

But he was playing for you guys at the time so it wasn't a dirty hit......

Wasn't that the reason Cassel got a season and the Chiefs brought him in to save the franchise?  Don't think Pollard did the Chiefs a favor when looked at that way. 

On 8/5/2019 at 11:32 PM, Fmbl2187 said:

It's a lack of respect to the deal he got, which was a definite overpay.  

Not a dig at Dan, because heck players should get and take all they can get.  It was a dig at Dorsey not having a clue.

Archived