Chiefs sign Claiborne

Chiefs have fortified the cornerback group with the free agent signing of Mo Claiborne, league source confirms. He'll be available after serving a four-game suspension to start the season. He was actually 6th in the NFL in passer rating when targeted and had the 7th most running stops so he appears to be a physical player.  

Nov 18, 2018 PFF
#Jets Morris Claiborne has been one of the top corner backs in the NFL so far this season! #GangGreen.   

Excellent Pick Up...1.5 million....low risk addition

Chiefs agreed to terms with CB Morris Claiborne on a one-year contract.

Per NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the deal is worth "up to" $1.5 million. Claiborne is suspended the first four games of the season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. Now 29, Claiborne remained an every-week starter for the Jets last season, though he earned sub-replacement level marks from Pro Football Focus. As was the case last year, the Chiefs have one of the league's thinnest cornerback groups.

13 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Excellent Pick Up...1.5 million....low risk addition

Agree. I'm never going to get super excited about any signing like this but the guy was a top ten draft pick and played well last year. The 4 game suspension actually works for us in getting him below veteran minimum threshold. Hes got a month now to learn the system and then can start playing in October. Checked to see if he played with the Honey Badger at LSU and indeed he did. In fact that 2011 LSU roster is one of the best I've ever seen in college football. They just had no QB. 

10 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Nice. I would still get another CB vet if one becomes avaliable and also possible TE. 

Agree. This is by far the weakest position on the team. If I'm Veach I don't stop looking at all options all the way through the trade deadline. And agree about backup TE!

This will do.  I mean, it's not a shutdown guy or anything but should bring some veteran depth and experience.  I posted in the TC thread the other day about possibly signing Claiborne thinking he was awful last year, but he wasn't as bad as I thought and is definitely an upgrade over Scandrick.

3 minutes ago, dksww said:

This will do.  I mean, it's not a shutdown guy or anything but should bring some veteran depth and experience.  I posted in the TC thread the other day about possibly signing Claiborne thinking he was awful last year, but he wasn't as bad as I thought and is definitely an upgrade over Scandrick.

May be a good rotational guy, short fill in, situational.....certainly not anything more than average

14 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

PFF KC Chiefs Retweeted Jon Long

2018 Grades Fuller 72.4, 1217 snaps Breeland 58.5, 330 snaps Claiborne 62.7, 1002 snaps Ward 68.7, 245 snaps Career Best Grades Fuller 90.6, 720 snaps (2017) Breeland 74.0, 984 snaps (2015) Claiborne 74.3, 432 snaps (2016)

Yeah, Ward was far superior to Fuller last year. True to form that PFF rated Fuller higher.

• The topic was featured

22 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Yeah, Ward was far superior to Fuller last year. True to form that PFF rated Fuller higher.

Fuller was also playing 1000 more snaps and for Sutton. Will see how he does this year back in the slot 

38 minutes ago, dksww said:

I hope the end game for Veach is Patrick Peterson. Obviously at our price which makes it dicey. He should be trying all means for competitive depth there for now. 

13 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I hope the end game for Veach is Patrick Peterson. Obviously at our price which makes it dicey. He should be trying all means for competitive depth there for now. 

Not when your Qb is exploring the 40 mill a year range....

52 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

The Cardinals won't trade him.  We went through last year's trade deadline and the entire off-season without them trading him. 

It's infuriating that they won't make a deal.  They're awful and know it, yet they won't trade him or any other players.

3 minutes ago, dksww said:

that's 2 years away, has no affect on now

Sure it does....this from NFL.com in March

Chiefs GM: Salary cap required proactive changes on D

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: March 15, 2019 at 09:34 a.m.
  • Updated: March 15, 2019 at 09:41 a.m.

The Kansas City Chiefs spent the past week shedding big-name, big-money defensive players.

Justin Houston was cut. So was Eric Berry. Franchise-tagged pass rusher Dee Ford was traded for a second-round pick next year. Starting corner Steven Nelson left in free agency.

On Thursday, Chiefs GM Brett Veach admitted that shedding former pillars on defense had to do with managing the future salary cap.

"The cap was certainly a big part of these decisions," Veach said, via the team's official website. "Where we were, what was going to be utilized in regard to cap space and how we can maneuver ourselves to potentially do long-term extensions with other players [played a role]. I think the fact that we have a [first-round pick] and two [second-round picks] this year and then a [first-round pick] and two [second-round picks] next year puts us in a position to be aggressive from now until the start of the season.

"So, I think you start with the cap and, again, they're tough decisions, but I think it's something that -- looking toward not just next season, but the next two, three, four and five years -- if you're not proactive in your approach, then you're always chasing your tail and you're always in a position where you don't have draft capital or cap space."

K.C. added safety Tyrann Mathieu and defensive end Alex Okafor during free agency.

For all the due love that former Chiefs GM John Dorsey has received this week for his work in Cleveland, it shouldn't be overlooked that when he left Kansas City in 2017, he exited with a messy cap situation.

The Chiefs were stuck up against the cap this offseason, necessitating the shedding of long-time stalwarts. Veach's goal is to set his team up down the road so they can avoid such painful decisions.

With receiver Tyreek Hill, defensive lineman Chris Jones and eventually quarterback Patrick Mahomes looking to break the bank with new contracts, Veach is trying to get out in front of the situation.

"Looking at both now and into the future, we have a lot of great young talent," Veach said. "We have guys like Patrick Mahomes, Chris Jones and Tyreek Hill, and one of the things that we made a strong effort to do when I took over was to make sure that we had good, young talent in the pipeline but also that we're cap flexible and have draft capital."

53 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Not when your Qb is exploring the 40 mill a year range....

He's not going to see that money until after the new CBA in 2021. So getting an elite corner with two very club controlled and managable years left on his contract is not a big issue here at all. Its the reason we could offer 1 year, 11 million for Earl Thomas.  Nearly every contract Veach has signed is with the idea of giving the club flexibility after 2 years. The compensation and willingness of the Cardinals to make a move is the issue. Plain and simple. 

46 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

The Chiefs were stuck up against the cap this offseason, necessitating the shedding of long-time stalwarts. Veach's goal is to set his team up down the road so they can avoid such painful decisions.

With receiver Tyreek Hill, defensive lineman Chris Jones and eventually quarterback Patrick Mahomes looking to break the bank with new contracts, Veach is trying to get out in front of the situation.

"Looking at both now and into the future, we have a lot of great young talent," Veach said. "We have guys like Patrick Mahomes, Chris Jones and Tyreek Hill, and one of the things that we made a strong effort to do when I took over was to make sure that we had good, young talent in the pipeline but also that we're cap flexible and have draft capital."

34 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

He's not going to see that money until after the new CBA in 2021. So getting an elite corner with two very club controlled and managable years left on his contract is not a big issue here at all. Its the reason we could offer 1 year, 11 million for Earl Thomas.  Nearly every contract Veach has signed is with the idea of giving the club flexibility after 2 years. The compensation and willingness of the Cardinals to make a move is the issue. Plain and simple. 

See above

40 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

??? According to whom?

Starting 15 games in each of the last two seasons for the Jets, Claiborne has recorded three total interceptions and defended 22 additional passes, almost matching his production in five seasons with the Cowboys. In 2018, Claiborne ranked as an average player according to Pro Football Focus (subscription required) with a score of 62.7.

2 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

??? According to whom?

PFF 2018 Top 25 cornerbacks

8. PATRICK PETERSON, ARIZONA CARDINALS

While the rest of the Arizona defense crumbled around him, Peterson continued his elite play. He allowed 30 catches all season long. That’s fewer than two per game. His 0.63 yards allowed per coverage snap was the lowest in the league.

Just now, Mloe68 said:

PFF 2018 Top 25 cornerbacks

8. PATRICK PETERSON, ARIZONA CARDINALS

While the rest of the Arizona defense crumbled around him, Peterson continued his elite play. He allowed 30 catches all season long. That’s fewer than two per game. His 0.63 yards allowed per coverage snap was the lowest in the league.

Ha ha, oh crap....confused two posts....OOPS...I was thinking Claiborne not Peterson.