Chiefs sign Claiborne

Best way to get an elite corner is to draft one.  The Chiefs whiffed this year so will have to make do with Fuller, Breeland, Wade, Ward, Fields, and now Claiborne.  One other factor in the immediate season is that Sprags hinted that Fuller is playing through some "tweek".  Maybe that explains why he's not looking so good in camp this year according to several reports.  If Fuller isn't 100% and playing up to his 2017 level, the Chiefs are in CB trouble. 

Just now, Mloe68 said:

Yes. Veach wants to be CAP flexible as he is now so that if an opportunity to get a high level talent is there, he can do it. This isn't hard. 

I believe that he is being Cap flexible now so he re-sign all his young guys, Clark, Hill, Mahomes -> honestly do not think he would trade for Peterson...."draft capital"

4 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I believe that he is being Cap flexible now so he re-sign all his young guys, Clark, Hill, Mahomes -> honestly do not think he would trade for Peterson...."draft capital"

Chiefs beat writer Nate Taylor 

“Since last season, the Chiefs have been interested in acquiring Peterson via a trade with the Cardinals, who were asking for plenty back in compensation before the league’s Oct. 30 deadline,” Nate told me. “The Cardinals, however, according to multiple league sources, didn’t want to discuss a possible trade with the Chiefs before the NFL Draft last month. With Peterson’s suspension, it’s possible that the Chiefs could approach the Cardinals again, this time during training camp in August.”

54 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

“Since last season, the Chiefs have been interested in acquiring Peterson via a trade with the Cardinals, who were asking for plenty back in compensation before the league’s Oct. 30 deadline,” Nate told me. “The Cardinals, however, according to multiple league sources, didn’t want to discuss a possible trade with the Chiefs before the NFL Draft last month. With Peterson’s suspension, it’s possible that the Chiefs could approach the Cardinals again, this time during training camp in August.”

We already got a CB on suspension, Mission Accomplished or whatever

31 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

We already got a CB on suspension, Mission Accomplished or whatever

Claiborne is a good flier on competitive depth with upside. Peterson is a problem solving elite CB that would force alot of teams away from him all together. Suspension doesn't mean anything to me other than cheaper compensation. I''m much more concerned with who we are in Dec/Jan than Sept/Oct. Just don't play our way out of the playoffs and that's all that matters.

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Claiborne is a good flier on competitive depth with upside. Peterson is a problem solving elite CB that would force alot of teams away from him all together. Suspension doesn't mean anything to me other than cheaper compensation. I''m much more concerned with who we are in Dec/Jan than Sept/Oct. Just don't play our way out of the playoffs and that's all that matters.

Issa joke

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

The Chiefs have been talking off and on with Arizona, but they're not going to budge on compensation.

Can't blame Veach for passing on a one and more for a guy that will need big money and will start to decline within a few years.

12 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

The Chiefs have been talking off and on with Arizona, but they're not going to budge on compensation.

Can't blame Veach for passing on a one and more for a guy that will need big money and will start to decline within a few years.

He’s got two years left on his current deal. To me it’s plain stupid for Arizona not to trade him. They have no chance to compete this year and should be out of hope by the trade deadline minus a miracle rookie season by the Heisman winner. (I’m betting he has a good rookie year, but not enough to help that group)

I don't know about PP if the asking price is to high. He is suspended for PEDs and a second one would be a killer for the team. A lot of times a guy will use if they feel they are slipping. If that is the case do we want him for 2 years and then at the age of 31 looking for a new contract? If it is a good to fair deal then I can see it, but don't overspend. We may be able to get a good CB late first round  (saw many drop this year to early 2nd round) and then still have a mid round pick from SF or even better if they fail this year. I think we need to draft our own.

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Clark has already been given a contract extension so it would be Hill, Jones and Mahomes

45 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s got two years left on his current deal. To me it’s plain stupid for Arizona not to trade him. They have no chance to compete this year and should be out of hope by the trade deadline minus a miracle rookie season by the Heisman winner. (I’m betting he has a good rookie year, but not enough to help that group)

I agree totally.  The Cardinals are a stupid franchise though.

I don’t know about you guys but I view cb almost like rb, the good ones have 3 or 4 years max, usually 2 years, of high level play before falling off a cliff.

at any given time there are 3 or 4 standout cb in the league and then about 50 corners that are essentially the same player. The remaining corners in the league at that point are crap.

my point is chasing one of those 3 or 4 corners that will be elite for just a few years is foolish and signing guys like this is the correct strategy, spend the money on chris jones type players instead.

that being said if at trade deadline we can rent patrick peterson for a superbowl run im down for that.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

I don't know about PP if the asking price is to high. He is suspended for PEDs and a second one would be a killer for the team. A lot of times a guy will use if they feel they are slipping. If that is the case do we want him for 2 years and then at the age of 31 looking for a new contract? If it is a good to fair deal then I can see it, but don't overspend. We may be able to get a good CB late first round  (saw many drop this year to early 2nd round) and then still have a mid round pick from SF or even better if they fail this year. I think we need to draft our own.

Agree. I think the suspension would help our cause. Also a consideration is that next year is a very deep and talented corner class. I’m not sure what it would take to get deal done. Gotta figure other teams would get heavily involved too IF this does emerge. 

55 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I don’t know about you guys but I view cb almost like rb, the good ones have 3 or 4 years max, usually 2 years, of high level play before falling off a cliff.

at any given time there are 3 or 4 standout cb in the league and then about 50 corners that are essentially the same player. The remaining corners in the league at that point are crap.

my point is chasing one of those 3 or 4 corners that will be elite for just a few years is foolish and signing guys like this is the correct strategy, spend the money on chris jones type players instead.

that being said if at trade deadline we can rent patrick peterson for a superbowl run im down for that.

Agree pretty much with all this.  This story backs your theory up too with only Patrick Peterson and Chris Harris being 28 or older on the top ten corner list. Corners hit a wall fast especially in an era where you can’t get your hands on corners like James Hasty and Ty Law used to do  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/06/04/the-nfls-11-best-outside-cornerbacks/amp/

12 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Agree. I think the suspension would help our cause. Also a consideration is that next year is a very deep and talented corner class. I’m not sure what it would take to get deal done. Gotta figure other teams would get heavily involved too IF this does emerge. 

Deep class and 2 good picks in 1st and 2nd round where a few will fall. I would hold tight unless we can get him for a 3rd and 6th or some bs like that.

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

Best way to get an elite corner is to draft one.  The Chiefs whiffed this year so will have to make do with Fuller, Breeland, Wade, Ward, Fields, and now Claiborne.  One other factor in the immediate season is that Sprags hinted that Fuller is playing through some "tweek".  Maybe that explains why he's not looking so good in camp this year according to several reports.  If Fuller isn't 100% and playing up to his 2017 level, the Chiefs are in CB trouble. 

And this is exactly what we will do. Unless next years CB class is just pathetic, I'd put our first round pick in 2020 being a CB at about 90%.

And yes I'm comfortable saying that before this season even starts. 

16 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

And this is exactly what we will do. Unless next years CB class is just pathetic, I'd put our first round pick in 2020 being a CB at about 90%.

It’s a good corner class. Ive seen some early mocks with as many as 8 possible first round grades for corners.  

40 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Agree, but that's what I said last year.

26 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Agree, but that's what I said last year.

How could you have known we’d release Justin Houston and Eric Berry and then trade Dee Ford.  That whole deal reshuffled the deck.  Still it’s pretty clear Veach was hoping one of the corners that went early in round 2 would have dropped further. And then the Tyreek debacle. Veach has his hands full.