KC vs Cinn Game Thread

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on how fast he picks up pass pro and masters the technique.  I've been on the D-train since before the draft, but Andy won't trust a RB who might get the QB killed.  

By all accounts though he seems to be coming along in pass pro.

Biggest winners (to me), regarding my prior concerns (in no particular order):

1) K Pass - looks like the real thing playing in a 4-3.  Very impressive.

2) Chase LItton - very impressed.  I think we are good at B/U QB wth Henne and LItton.

3) Run defense - this ain't last year

4) The Bell-dozer.  My concerns about B/U TE are greatly diminished

Any real concerns are a complete waste of time in a first pre-season game.

3 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Spags better fix the leaks. That underneath middle of the field is a sieve.

All these observations really mean nothing at this stage.  We had most of our best guys not playing, the schemes were vanilla and were merely being tested, and the purpose of the game for any team at this stage is to see how new guys and potential backups are learning the system and who should be released or cut first.  It's plain ridiculous to draw any conclusions about the defense whatsoever.

15 minutes ago, Calichief said:

There were four starters not playing 

Not sure how Frank Clark not starting made a difference in those quick hitters 7 yards down the field. He wouldn't have been able to stop those...nor Okafer.

5 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Not sure how Frank Clark not starting made a difference in those quick hitters 7 yards down the field. He wouldn't have been able to stop those...nor Okafer.

Long arms, quick pressure, Jones up the middle..

i don’t know. Maybe your right

just throwing stuff at the wall 

8 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Those plays a hard for every defense to stop in todays NFL. The key is one good play to get the defense off the field on third down. Clark is a difference maker. 

2 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Those plays a hard for every defense to stop in todays NFL. The key is one good play to get the defense off the field on third down. Clark is a difference maker. 

Maybe. 1st drive we had them in a 1st And 20...they converted. Third and 10...they converted. It's early. Not saying this is a finished product by any means. Was hoping they could keep them from scoring a td.

Why was Spags brought in? What is his game? Answer:  blitzes and disguised zone coverages. How much of that did he show or try? Answer: zero. How long before we see it? Answer: maybe the fourth preseason game a little. How long does it take for it to be decent? Answer: several games. Then, it keeps getting better. What did they want to evaluate last night? Answer: blocking and tackling and who has real abilities for depth. Who else was not playing on D or maybe had only a few plays besides Clark? Answer: Jones, Mathieu, and some others who are locks. Who is further ahead in all teams in early pre-season, offense or defense? Answer: offense.

As I posted. Worrying about "sieves" at this point is absurd.

1 minute ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Why was Spags brought in? What is his game? Answer:  blitzes and disguised zone coverages. How much of that did he show or try? Answer: zero. How long before we see it? Answer: maybe the forth preseason game a little. How long does it take for it to be decent? Answer: sevetal games. Then, it keeps getting better. What did they want to evaluate last night? Answer: blocking and tackling and who has real abilities for depth. Who else was not playing on D or maybe had only a few plays besides Clark? Answer: Jones, Mathieu, and some others who are locks. Who is further ahead in all teams in early pre-season, offense or defense? Answer: offense.

As I posted. Worrying about "sieves" at this point is absurd.

I'll own the trash thrown my direction. You bring up some valid points. I slept fine last night. Don't consider making an observation about easy holes in the defense as "worrying." The LB corps is going to be so essential in stopping those plays. Next to CB which positional group needs the biggest turnaround and has the most question marks going into the season? Yeah the linebackers. 

Here is what struck me the most for a first pre-season game:  This is a close knit team that has genuine respect and even affection for each other, enthusiasm, comraderie,  and has fun.  The team seems to be on a mission and has chemistry.  They have talent and speed and good coaching.  That kind of reminds me of another professional sports team - the 2015 Kansas City Royals.  That chemistry is like having an extra guy on the field continuously.  It is enormous.  I even like how Andy Reid has lost weight.  He seems almost ready to play himself.

I saw a team without many its best players playing but with potential great depth and well coached basics.  I saw a team that moves around fast and knows how to tackle.  I saw a team that can stop the run, all things that I didn't see the last two years.

4 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I think having Hitchens back there will help as he did not play. Niemann will be taking a starting spot imo. Wilson will be the other. I did not see it but how did Lee and DOD do?

Also, reports from camp are that Ragland is much better at dropping into coverage.  He didn't play last night as far as I can remember.  His instincts and aggression at shooting gaps and making runners pay would theoretically thrive much better in Spag's system.

4 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Also, reports from camp are that Ragland is much better at dropping into coverage.  He didn't play last night as far as I can remember.  His instincts and aggression at shooting gaps and making runners pay would theoretically thrive much better in Spag's system.

He did play, you have a problem of not seeing things that are right in front of you. 😉

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Maybe. 1st drive we had them in a 1st And 20...they converted. Third and 10...they converted. It's early. Not saying this is a finished product by any means. Was hoping they could keep them from scoring a td.

It was the second string D pretty much. No Clark or Okafor or Ogbah. Jones, Honey Badger, Hitch, Wilson each played 2 snaps. Vanilla scheme. They looked great all things considered.

14 hours ago, DieHard said:

Got to watch the game with the Mahomes family. Nice people. I thought the team looked good. Don’t like Dan at FS. Solid backup SS from what I watched but bites on short routes in the middle leaving the outside CBs with no help. Breeland got beat early on a play close to the line, recovered and broke up the pass but Dan jump an intermediate route where the guy was covered already. Same problem Berry had. Thornhill looked like he stayed deep to help the CBs with the 2s and 3s. He even recognized an guy out of the backfield uncovered  and closed to make the tackle. I like his style better, but he has a ways to go. 

Starting D did not (I don’t think) have Oak or Clark from what I remember. Stuck playing vanilla, but still respectable. Kpass looked good. Speaks seamed to do OK. LBs looked good. 

Henne seems locked, but Shurm may be hard to stash if he keeps progressing. Thompson had a good pass pro and killed it as a skill player. Kemp and Pringle didn’t hurt their roster claim. 

Overall, I loved what I saw. I love the extended playing time for Thornhill but thought it was odd Lee played so deep. Not sure they are sold on him.

Good take except I don't agree that the LBs looked good, at least not in the first quarter when it was #1s trying to stop the first drive.  Having Clark, Jones, and Okafor in wouldn't help much on those quick passes over the middle.   Gotta like Thompson and Kpass came to play.  Hard to tell about Yelder and Bell as to who is ahead of whom. 

One thing I was impressed with was the depth we have up front on the offensive line. Even our second team did well and gave the QBs time.  In years past the 2nd would be a clown show when they played in the preseason.  If we keep 9 I'd like to see erving kept as the swing tackle, Allegretti and Mackenzie kept as well.  Both can play center and either guard shot.  Place Murphy as the 9th guy if we keep 9. An extra tackle 

If I'm not mistaken....oddsmakers had the Raiders and the Niners as 4.5 PT favorites over their opponent but the Chiefs were just 3.5 point favorites over the Bungles. Am I missing something? Guy over at Forbes predicted comfortable wins for Oakland and San Fran. He had Chiefs winning 21-20. Again, am I missing something?

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Good take except I don't agree that the LBs looked good, at least not in the first quarter when it was #1s trying to stop the first drive.  Having Clark, Jones, and Okafor in wouldn't help much on those quick passes over the middle.   Gotta like Thompson and Kpass came to play.  Hard to tell about Yelder and Bell as to who is ahead of whom. 

2 of the 3 LB starters didn’t play. Well Hitch played 2 snaps and Wilson played 0. Not sure what you were expecting from backups, but I was pretty good with it for what it was.

Archived