KC vs Cinn Game Thread

3 minutes ago, dhitter said:

If I'm not mistaken....oddsmakers had the Raiders and the Niners as 4.5 PT favorites over their opponent but the Chiefs were just 3.5 point favorites over the Bungles. Am I missing something? Guy over at Forbes predicted comfortable wins for Oakland and San Fran. He had Chiefs winning 21-20. Again, am I missing something?

Um.  Probably because they knew those teams would probably play starters longer than we would.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, DieHard said:

2 of the 3 LB starters didn’t play. Well Hitch played 2 snaps and Wilson played 0. Not sure what you were expecting from backups, but I was pretty good with it for what it was.

Guess it was hard not to be bummed when CINN converted three or four third downs over the middle when their first team was in.  Shades of last season.  But you're right, the number of starters not playing on defense was significant.   We need to see more out of Fuller and Ward as well. 

49 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Um.  Probably because they knew those teams would probably play starters longer than we would.

It was well known before the game that AJ Green was out...Eifert was out. Mixon and G Bernard didn't play. No John Ross? How could the Chiefs NOT win by more than 3.5.?

4 hours ago, robgar said:

@jetlord the 1s where gone after the first two snaps.... they never made it to a third down

Gotcha.  Didn't realize Hitchens, Jones, Wilson, and HB were pulled out that early.  The TV coverage was more interested in interviews on the sidelines than updating on who was making or not making plays.  Certainly, the game was for evaluation of second stringers. 

8 minutes ago, dhitter said:

It was well known before the game that AJ Green was out...Eifert was out. Mixon and G Bernard didn't play. No John Ross? How could the Chiefs NOT win by more than 3.5.?

Multiple reasons.  They likely thought the Bengals higher stringers would stay in longer because new coach and everything and/or they moved the line to get more action on the game.  You're reading too much into this I think.

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

If I'm not mistaken....oddsmakers had the Raiders and the Niners as 4.5 PT favorites over their opponent but the Chiefs were just 3.5 point favorites over the Bungles. Am I missing something? Guy over at Forbes predicted comfortable wins for Oakland and San Fran. He had Chiefs winning 21-20. Again, am I missing something?

They try to sucker people into betting on meaningless games where the primary goal isn’t even to win. I’m not at all sure how you can reasonably bet on preseason games. 

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

Helps to remember that the oddsmaker's job isn't to predict the outcome it's to figure out a spread where 50% of the people bet each side so they make money no matter what.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Helps to remember that the oddsmaker's job isn't to predict the outcome it's to figure out a spread where 50% of the people bet each side so they make money no matter what.

This is true... but how could anyone bet on the Bengels at +3.5? Bad team last year...new head coach's 1st game. Most of the starting weapons were inactive. On the road against the #1 seed last year. Only people dumb enough to take the Bengals and the points would be Bengal fans.😲

5 hours ago, dhitter said:

You are missing the point.  Guys over at Forbes just make shit up for laughs.

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Gotcha.  Didn't realize Hitchens, Jones, Wilson, and HB were pulled out that early.  The TV coverage was more interested in interviews on the sidelines than updating on who was making or not making plays.  Certainly, the game was for evaluation of second stringers. 

That drove me crazy.  Plus the banner at the bottom never showed down and distance.  The reason they didn't say who made a particular play the entire second half is because they didn't give a shit.  They just wanted to hear their own mellifluous voices and brilliant banter. They possibly should be lynched by true football fans. But I digress.

10 hours ago, dhitter said:

This is true... but how could anyone bet on the Bengels at +3.5? Bad team last year...new head coach's 1st game. Most of the starting weapons were inactive. On the road against the #1 seed last year. Only people dumb enough to take the Bengals and the points would be Bengal fans.😲

Hope springs eternal in preseason.  Even for Bengals fans.

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

Guess it was hard not to be bummed when CINN converted three or four third downs over the middle when their first team was in.  Shades of last season.  But you're right, the number of starters not playing on defense was significant.   We need to see more out of Fuller and Ward as well. 

I wouldn’t be to down. Let’s face it. Any team that goes in missing their 6 most talented defensive players is not going to look great. I mean that’s over half the defense. The only starters that played were Dan, Fuller, Breeland, Ward, Nnadi and Ragland. The guys I would list as the 5 weakest defensive starters.

Just now, DieHard said:

I wouldn’t be to down. Let’s face it. Any team that goes in missing their 6 most talented defensive players is not going to look great. I mean that’s over half the defense. The only starters that played were Dan, Fuller, Breeland, Ward, Nnadi and Ragland. The guys I would list as the 5 weakest defensive starters.

Agree but Cincy also did not have their weapons on offense. Its too early to come to any conclusion. Teams are looking at players doing certain things or not doing them. To me is less a vanilla thing and more a who fits which scheme etc. I saw a lot to like about the overall depth.

I liked two things the most - 1) The speed, enthusiasm, comraderie, and fun the entire team obviously was showing, and 2) Proof that the offense will be as good or better than ever from looking at that first drive.

Honorable mention:  The way the coaching staff was interacting with the players during the game.

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I liked two things the most - 1) The speed, enthusiasm, comraderie, and fun the entire team obviously was showing, and 2) Proof that the offense will be as good or better than ever from looking at that first drive.

Honorable mention:  The way the coaching staff was interacting with the players during the game.

Not to be to over optimistic, but this team reminds me a lot of the 2015 Royals.  They knew they were good.  They came within one play of winning it all season.  They had the championship in mind from spring training on.  They seemed to be honestly having fun and liking each other.  The spirit on the Chiefs team this year seems way ahead of last season.  Claiborne says he came here because he want to play for Reid and on a winner. (Maybe it was the only offer he had?)  I can't wait to see the #1s on defense get a few stops and walk off the field with heads held high.  I also can't wait for Thornhill to start and play full time. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Not to be to over optimistic, but this team reminds me a lot of the 2015 Royals.  They knew they were good.  They came within one play of winning it all season.  They had the championship in mind from spring training on.  They seemed to be honestly having fun and liking each other.  The spirit on the Chiefs team this year seems way ahead of last season.  Claiborne says he came here because he want to play for Reid and on a winner. (Maybe it was the only offer he had?)  I can't wait to see the #1s on defense get a few stops and walk off the field with heads held high.  I also can't wait for Thornhill to start and play full time. 

I agree.  This team has unlocked the swag and seems to have crossed into a different plane of expectation of itself.  The Royals analogy is fair I'd say. 

16 minutes ago, jetlord said:

That comparison with the 2015 Royals is one that I also posted earlier in this thread.  Or at least on another thread. It is uncanny, isn't it?

5 hours ago, DieHard said:

I put almost no stock in preseason other than some individual flashes. I mean that speed for Mecole was second level stuff. Darwin Thompson willing to cut a 290 pound defender is the type of stuff that will get him playing time. But the result with so many starters out or playing very sparingly is totally irrelevant. And I'd keep playing them very sparingly personally. Defense probably needs about 3-4 quarters to get used to actually tackling and adjust to new scheme. I wouldn't play the starting offense more than a few more quarters in August. Let the 2s run wit the top offensive line. 

7 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

That comparison with the 2015 Royals is one that I also posted earlier in this thread.  Or at least on another thread. It is uncanny, isn't it?

Oops!  Did I pull a Biden?  We had the '15 Royals, '19 Chiefs discussion in a meeting I was involved in yesterday.  May I have permission to quote you in the future?  I promise to give attribution.  ☺️

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Oops!  Did I pull a Biden?  We had the '15 Royals, '19 Chiefs discussion in a meeting I was involved in yesterday.  May I have permission to quote you in the future?  I promise to give attribution.  ☺️

Is "attribution" anything like "head?"

Archived