Defense opinion?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Run Defense looks better.  LB's need to get better in zone, Sorenson needs to sit on the bench in a base formation and they need to trade for a corner.

Speaks/Kpass didn't have a great showing against a just okay LT, bad RT.  Linebackers should look better with more playing time running the difficult concepts.

Hardman looking good and none of the other reserve wideouts are sticking out.  Not a good day if you're not Blake Bell, and want the #2 TE spot.

6 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Defense looks faster. LBers struggled in coverage, as did our corners. Hard to put too much into it.

Agree. So much of what we can be has to do with Clark and Jones.  I’m not taking much away from tonight.  

The D held CINN to 21 yds. rushing.  Probably not real meaningful with all the subs, but that's one big area of concern last season.  It was good to see Kpass and Speaks get sacks.  Still don't see how the Chiefs can call the defense much improved until the CB situation is improved. 

I thought it was alright.  Certainly gaps between the LBs and safeties, but it will be good tape.  2nd team, especially, looked good.  Niemann in particular looked like he was in command.

i actually thought Ragland looked quicker than last year but I live in ATL so haven’t attended any practices.  Speaks still is almost exclusively a bull rusher.  O’Daniel better be great on teams, that’s the only way he makes the roster.

5 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

The main key here is that the players looked willing to tackle and were able to wrap up.  Finally.

I think it has a lot to do with a simple system. Positional requirements seem pretty straight forward so there's not much complication to deal with. 

To me it seemed obvious this scheme produces more aggressive play. We had more hard hits than I can remember in a while. You could see Spags message of finishing plays and trying to create a positive result even if you get beat was resonating   

Also seemed like we were getting burned with short passes because of the aggressiveness however we did get a stop on a 3rd down screen pass coaches clearly had them looking for   

Generally i think it’s obvious we are faster and more talented that a year ago and flashed that   

Watts flashed a couple times as well. We might be pretty solid at the safety position. Niemann is just a baller. He’s always around he ball - high football IQ. Overall it felt to me like a much faster, more aggressive and better tackling defense.

Loved seeing Thompson run and catch the ball. He might carve out a starting role at some point down he road. Sooner rather than later, maybe. 

The basic gist of what I have read from outsiders looking in is "Same old offense and same old defense." Right or wrong until the defense can stop another team's starting offense there are going to be doubters. I might be one of them...😕

3 minutes ago, dhitter said:

The basic gist of what I have read from outsiders looking in is "Same old offense and same old defense." Right or wrong until the defense can stop another team's starting offense there are going to be doubters. I might be one of them...😕

Agree....the #1 D was only on the field a few plays.....buy it was the BUNGLES.........run D did look better

5 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I don’t know if Spags will ultimately fix the defense, but at least he has blood running through his veins and looks alive on the sideline.

Agree love the energy. Spags and his coaches will succeed. Defense should be at least average this year and no doubt the game planning will be better/ less predictable. Player development has also improved. KPASS is a excellent example.  Letting the old guard in coaches and players go was a smart/brilliant move.

Clark, Jones, Badger, Fuller as a core , I don’t see them being in the bottom of the pack at all...

add to that, Hitchens in a better scheme, up and comers in Ward and Thornhill, Watts, and k pass

this is different than last year 

Just now, Calichief said:

Clark, Jones, Badger, Fuller as a core , I don’t see them being in the bottom of the pack at all...

add to that, Hitchens in a better scheme, up and comers in Ward and Thornhill, Watts, and k pass

this is different than last year 

Agree.....not sure about Ward yet. Too small of a sample. Fuller has a lot to prove as well. Looks like the depth is way better so rotations and strategies should continue to improve. Second half of the season should be way better. Last years D kept getting worse.

23 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Agree.....not sure about Ward yet. Too small of a sample. Fuller has a lot to prove as well. Looks like the depth is way better so rotations and strategies should continue to improve. Second half of the season should be way better. Last years D kept getting worse.

Fuller has proved it in the past in wash. Hopefully that resurfaces 

Archived