Defense opinion?

16 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Fuller has proved it in the past in wash. Hopefully that resurfaces 

Rumors are he struggled in camp. Thought is he is fighting through an injury. Depth looks way better. Although I am disappointed with the defense on that first drive I saw reasons for optimism. Hope it's just not the homer in me doing wishful thinking.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dhitter said:

Rumors are he struggled in camp. Thought is he is fighting through an injury. Depth looks way better. Although I am disappointed with the defense on that first drive I saw reasons for optimism. Hope it's just not the homer in me doing wishful thinking.

I know what you mean, I sometimes have to check myself (my homerism). I think your posts have been very objective for a Chiefs fan. I saw the some of the same things you mentioned in the game thread. I think the tackling and run defense looked better. The Bengals first run was for 4 yards, then they shut it down, from what I remember.

The pass defense didn't look so great, but I'm glad Jones, Honey Badger for most of the first series, and Clark didn't start. It gave us a chance to see how the defense looked without them. The pass defense looked basically the same, with maybe better tackling. I'm going to take that as a positive for now.

20 minutes ago, qnet said:

I know what you mean, I sometimes have to check myself (my homerism). I think your posts have been very objective for a Chiefs fan. I saw the some of the same things you mentioned in the game thread. I think the tackling and run defense looked better. The Bengals first run was for 4 yards, then they shut it down, from what I remember.

The pass defense didn't look so great, but I'm glad Jones, Honey Badger for most of the first series, and Clark didn't start. It gave us a chance to see how the defense looked without them. The pass defense looked basically the same, with maybe better tackling. I'm going to take that as a positive for now.

Agree....It was not the #1 defense on the field, shows we need those guys and that is a good thing..........Dalton was the best pass defense on the field for that drive as he missed two wide open receivers deep downfield.

I just watched the Bengals first drive again. I forgot about the overturned fumble recovery. I think if it's the regular season, there's a good chance the Chiefs would have kept possession of the ball. If they had, the Chiefs would have scored, I have no doubt. 

Having said that, I do think the defense looked better. I have to give the Bengals coaching staff and Andy Dalton some credit. He was getting the ball out very fast, and the Chiefs defenders did push the pocket a few times. 

Spags looked irritated on the sidelines after some first downs were given up. I have no doubt he will work very hard to fix any holes.

Having said all this, it's Sunday evening,  I've had a few beers while cooking dinner,  am relaxed and in full homer mode right now LOL!

A no#1 D is usually the one with disruptive Dtackles and Dends and puts the QB OUT OF THE GAME  or on his butt half the time is my opinion.  We are not there yet. 

We were almost getting to the qb lots of times.  Almost.  KPASS!!    And most of us thought he was getting cut.  Wow.

I’ve seen enough of Ragland being too slow to do anything. I think he gets demoted at best, cut at worst. I think Sorenson is done after this year.

My concern is Ward is going to be like that CB we had a few years ago that was a roster cut or practice squad grab from Seattle I think. Looked promising in a short sample and then got toasted.

23 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Agree....It was not the #1 defense on the field, shows we need those guys and that is a good thing..........Dalton was the best pass defense on the field for that drive as he missed two wide open receivers deep downfield.

Breeland got smoked. Should’ve been an easy TD.  At least Breeland didn’t give up on it. That’s been a big part of Spags message I keep hearing.  Perhaps he’s saying we had guys flat give up on plays last year. 

1 minute ago, Thegoatee said:

I’ve seen enough of Ragland being too slow to do anything. I think he gets demoted at best, cut at worst. I think Sorenson is done after this year.

My concern is Ward is going to be like that CB we had a few years ago that was a roster cut or practice squad grab from Seattle I think. Looked promising in a short sample and then got toasted.

I like what Sorensen brings as the utility safety but not as a starter. But considering his CAP hit and numbers reality at safety, I’m wondering if he could go from a starter on depth chart to cut?

4 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

A no#1 D is usually the one with disruptive Dtackles and Dends and puts the QB OUT OF THE GAME  or on his butt half the time is my opinion.  We are not there yet. 

We were almost getting to the qb lots of times.  Almost.  KPASS!!    And most of us thought he was getting cut.  Wow.

There was a great article on Kpass in The Athletic today with clips of several of his plays and analysis of his technique.  The writer was pretty positive about his progress but pointed out that he reverted to some bad habits later in the game.  He got pancaked by the RT on one play and used bad hand technique on another, but for several plays he owned the O-lineman and I loved watching him chase the QB and force a throw away.  He'll earn PT as a backup with potential to develop into a hand in the dirt defender. 

9 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Not much of a sample with starters playing very little but depth seems better. I'd like to feel better about the CBs. Safety position looks strong

Agree.  Fix the CB group and the Chiefs defense could be at least average. 

Lots of positives, especially on offense, but as this thread is about dissecting the defense i will pick out the negatives.

ragland still looks like dog feces, guy just cant do it. On the plus side i liked what i saw from daron lee especially and nieman to some extent. Wilson looked the part of a legit athlete in his two snaps.

sorenson still sucks, he has to be our 5th best safety at best. I believe he is starting only in an effort to entice a trade. If we starts week 1 i will be seriously concerned.

Cb wise i thought ward and wade looked good, breelund was shakey but has a role on the team vs larger wr at a minimum.

need to get creative and get matheu, thornhill, Lucas, and watts all on the field at the same time if our cb issues dont improve.

i couldn’t really tell how are d line was playing other than speaks stood out as being especially bad, out of shape, and unathletic. He needs to be tried out at d tackle before giving up on him, but d end isn’t going to work

42 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Lots of positives, especially on offense, but as this thread is about dissecting the defense i will pick out the negatives.

ragland still looks like dog feces, guy just cant do it. On the plus side i liked what i saw from daron lee especially and nieman to some extent. Wilson looked the part of a legit athlete in his two snaps.

sorenson still sucks, he has to be our 5th best safety at best. I believe he is starting only in an effort to entice a trade. If we starts week 1 i will be seriously concerned.

Cb wise i thought ward and wade looked good, breelund was shakey but has a role on the team vs larger wr at a minimum.

need to get creative and get matheu, thornhill, Lucas, and watts all on the field at the same time if our cb issues dont improve.

i couldn’t really tell how are d line was playing other than speaks stood out as being especially bad, out of shape, and unathletic. He needs to be tried out at d tackle before giving up on him, but d end isn’t going to work

Ward was beat 2 or 3 times. One was a TD overthrow.

11 hours ago, dhitter said:

Well if he continues to struggle I'd like to see mark fields get some reps this offseason. I thought he looked really good while going up against the Bengals backups.  He has the speed and quickness to be a really good slot corner

The Chiefs linebackers already look better than they did last season

A detailed look at film from Saturday’s game against the Bengals shows improvement over 2018

One of the biggest problems for Chiefs linebackers last season was a hesitation in the run game that made linebackers late to gaps — and therefore well behind the play. Steve Spagnuolo has discussed simplifying reads and focusing on getting his linebackers to play faster. We was definitely saw this Saturday night — not just for Ragland, but for the entire group.

This play showcases these simplified reads and the quickness with which the defense played all night. With Tanoh Kpassagnon collapsing the B gap and Daniel Sorensen crashing the D gap as a force defender, Ragland reads the running back and shows off a burst of speed to slip the C gap. The tight end is late to react and ends up holding the streaking Ragland, which forces a penalty.

See the Entire Article

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/8/12/20801549/the-chiefs-linebackers-already-look-better-than-they-did-last-season

I tend to focus on the corners like most. REALITY:....DEFENSE stopping the run is most important. The other teams will be playing catch up. Take away their ability to control the clock and keep Mahomes on the bench. I think the secondary has more play makers and can get more turnovers if the run is stopped or limited. Run D looked better against Cincy. 

5 hours ago, FANATIC said:

I tend to focus on the corners like most. REALITY:....DEFENSE stopping the run is most important. The other teams will be playing catch up. Take away their ability to control the clock and keep Mahomes on the bench. I think the secondary has more play makers and can get more turnovers if the run is stopped or limited. Run D looked better against Cincy. 

I agree. Particularly, since many of the teams we have to play this year (Titans, Jax, Ravens, Pats and even the Chargers to some extent) are run first teams at this point. Brady didn't beat the Chiefs last year, their running game did. I don't think NE stays with KC in either game last year if we control their running game AT ALL. 

Archived