So is Litton our backup QB now?

14 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Henne played hardly any snaps and a TE dropped an intermediate pass that hit him in the hands. Litton was throwing against 3rd and 4th stringers. Too early to make those determinations.

I think his cap is 4.5 million. His career #s are not good. Use that 4.5 for Jones or another corner. KC wont win with Henne so why keep him.

7 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

I think his cap is 4.5 million. His career #s are not good. Use that 4.5 for Jones or another corner. KC wont win with Henne so why keep him.

His value is probably off the field. Tape analysis and giving Mahomes some insights from what he can view from the bench. I don’t know if Andy  would toss that at this stage of Mahomes career.

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

His value is probably off the field. Tape analysis and giving Mahomes some insights from what he can view from the bench. I don’t know if Andy  would toss that at this stage of Mahomes career.

Then hire henne as a qb assistant coach and save the cap space...

Henne is also a veteran who has taken NFL snaps. QB is too important of a position to leave to 2 guys with no experience as backups. If either of the youngsters prove to be more valuable than Henne to the staff then they will get the backup role but I doubt that's realistic in 2019. 

11 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

What did Henne do?

3rd string for now but I doubt they keep 3 QBs and may not be able to protect Litton on the PS.

IMO, you might as well keep Litton as the #2 because if Mahomes were to go down Henne won't make much difference and you could at least showcase Litton in the top NFL offense and then deal him for picks, possibly.  

Cutting Henne would save the Chiefs a few million here and there. 

JMO but not having Henne as the #2 is lunacy. I saw him not playing those extra downs as a sign of  he's a #2 lock and the battle is for the #3 and yes I think we keep 3 and the #4 will have some strange injury. I'm not prepared to say that Henne could get us into the  SB  but the playoffs I do andt he wouldn't be the first  to do so asrecent history has proven..only need to catch lightning in a bottle for 1 year.  Our SB season  was saved by our 3rd stringer ( Mike Livingston)

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

Henne is also a veteran who has taken NFL snaps. QB is too important of a position to leave to 2 guys with no experience as backups. If either of the youngsters prove to be more valuable than Henne to the staff then they will get the backup role but I doubt that's realistic in 2019. 

I do not disagree. You are correct.

However.....KC is likely an 8-8 team with Henne. Is it possible that , like Mahomes makes receivers much better, the KC weapons also make the QB better?

So you cant win it all with Henne, see Alex Smith, so why worry about keeping him. Big Cap savings with Henne gone. 

16 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

However.....KC is likely an 8-8 team with Henne. Is it possible that , like Mahomes makes receivers much better, the KC weapons also make the QB better?

So you cant win it all with Henne, see Alex Smith, so why worry about keeping him. Big Cap savings with Henne gone. 

A veteran QB is critical only if we miss Mahomes for a couple games or may be in the playoffs. That being said I'm pretty sure Henne helps out with other youngsters as well.

If we ever decide to let Henne go that will be at the end of TC after at least one of the youngsters proves to be better but that's a tall order from two recently undrafted guys.

12 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Then hire henne as a qb assistant coach and save the cap space...

We don't have another QB on the roster who's thrown an NFL pass. If the MVP has to miss 3-4 games do you really want to put a Super Bowl season in the hands of a guy with zero experience and isn't a big time prospect? Andy has always had veteran backups here and nearly always in Philly. Plus we only save 1.5 million vs the CAP if we did cut Henne. Doesn't add up unless they just love Litton. Even then they could carry 3 like many teams. 

3 hours ago, FANATIC said:

We would actually only save 1.55 million. Dirty Dan may be the guy to watch since he's legitimately getting beaten out of his starters role and would save 2.7. Somebody else has to be on this list as well or a trade possibility. 

Henne can't lead the Chiefs to a SB, but if Mahomes went down for two weeks in, for example, a concussion situation, Henne could win a game or two against non playoff teams.  Litton or Schumur probably couldn't.  In a league where two wins can make the difference between missing the playoffs and home field, the Chiefs can't take that risk. 

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Henne can't lead the Chiefs to a SB, but if Mahomes went down for two weeks in, for example, a concussion situation, Henne could win a game or two against non playoff teams.  Litton or Schumur probably couldn't.  In a league where two wins can make the difference between missing the playoffs and home field, the Chiefs can't take that risk. 

Yes I agree. Do the Pats have 4 million dollar backup QBs? Seems they trade their up & coming Qbs? 

Personally, I see Shurmur having an "injury" if he's not on the roster.  He's the type of guy that Reid would want to keep around, strong armed QB with some serious lineage.  To me he's the guy that has an 8 year career as a backup QB, then moves into coaching and climbs the ladder to become a successful coordinator or head coach down the road.  IMO, that guy just screams "Andy Reid player", even if he never takes a meaningful snap.  

36 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Yes I agree. Do the Pats have 4 million dollar backup QBs? Seems they trade their up & coming Qbs? 

They trade their up and coming QBs because Brady just keeps going and going.  When you have a veteran QB like Brady, the experienced backup isn't as important.  As special as Mahomes is, Henne's job is more to give him ideas on the day to day and off the field stuff.  While he's listed as #2 on the depth chart, that's probably the least important part of his overall job and why he was brought here.  

9 minutes ago, moons314 said:

They trade their up and coming QBs because Brady just keeps going and going.  When you have a veteran QB like Brady, the experienced backup isn't as important.  As special as Mahomes is, Henne's job is more to give him ideas on the day to day and off the field stuff.  While he's listed as #2 on the depth chart, that's probably the least important part of his overall job and why he was brought here.  

Honestly..... Mahomes could teach Henne. Henne has been a career crapshoot QB. Pat does not need Henne as a mentor he has Reid and coaches. The fact is the Pats dont worry about Brady getting hurt so much. They are ok with a servicable QB as a backup. 

9 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Honestly..... Mahomes could teach Henne. Henne has been a career crapshoot QB. Pat does not need Henne as a mentor he has Reid and coaches. The fact is the Pats dont worry about Brady getting hurt so much. They are ok with a servicable QB as a backup. 

I guess you did not listen to what Tent Green said during the game in regards to MVP  studying under Alex and then with Henne, learning new ways from a seasoned vet on how to prepare.. granted Trent is paid to be a Homer  but his statement made sense to me..

29 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I guess you did not listen to what Tent Green said during the game in regards to MVP  studying under Alex and then with Henne, learning new ways from a seasoned vet on how to prepare.. granted Trent is paid to be a Homer  but his statement made sense to me..

Very well could be & Its just another opinion. Just another talking head.

Henne Career Record is 18 & 35. Stats ... 58 tds and 63 int. I dont want my superstar hanging out with Mr. Pick too much. 

TOTAL 68 1,959 1,161 59.3 28.8 12,960 6.6 190.6 58 3.0 63 3.2 81 149 22 149 938 75.5

I will trust Reids take/decision. Only he knows what is real.The rest of us are just BLAH BLAH BLAH. 

This time of year all the EX JOCs say almost nothing but good things about teams and players.  

In todays world anyone can find an article, video or link to support their opinion. Way too much info available and most is nonsense.

If Litton could be #2 , up to Reid of course, he could develop more quickly and may become a trade target. 

Archived