What do you want to see in Pittsburgh?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I want to see won't be answered in Pittsburgh unfortunately. There have been two major narratives running through the media this off-season with regard to the Chiefs on the field issues. First of all is the defense. The Chiefs are portrayed as having "lost" a lot of talent on the defensive side. We didn't trade it. We didn't cut it. We lost it. Since we were so bad last year and the only thing we did do well was rush the passer then perhaps the defense will still struggle. Oh yeah...they signed Frank Clark and the Honey Badger. They added Okafor, Ogbah, Breeland, Thornhill, Wilson, Lee and now Claiborne....but I heard one guy say "i look up and down this lineup and I just don't see where they got any better." Want to see Spags and this defense absolutely make them eat their words. That won't happen until we are into the season and see tangible results.

The other narrative involves our MVP QB. He cannot possibly under any circumstances come close to producing what he did last year. To this I call Bulls**t!! How many 1st year starters put up 50 TDs and 5,000 yards and won the MVP? It's an exclusive club of one. Mahomes should rewrite the record books. If there is one person who is capable of going back to back 50 TDs...it is Pat Mahomes. This offense is primed to shred teams. The only thing stopping them is if injuries creep in or if Andy purposely takes the gas pedal off. If the defense is indeed much improved and teams aren't always scoring 25-30 points then Andy won't want to embarrass some coach by beating them 40--17. So who knows?

11 minutes ago, dhitter said:

What I want to see won't be answered in Pittsburgh unfortunately. There have been two major narratives running through the media this off-season with regard to the Chiefs on the field issues. First of all is the defense. The Chiefs are portrayed as having "lost" a lot of talent on the defensive side. We didn't trade it. We didn't cut it. We lost it. Since we were so bad last year and the only thing we did do well was rush the passer then perhaps the defense will still struggle. Oh yeah...they signed Frank Clark and the Honey Badger. They added Okafor, Ogbah, Breeland, Thornhill, Wilson, Lee and now Claiborne....but I heard one guy say "i look up and down this lineup and I just don't see where they got any better." Want to see Spags and this defense absolutely make them eat their words. That won't happen until we are into the season and see tangible results.

The other narrative involves our MVP QB. He cannot possibly under any circumstances come close to producing what he did last year. To this I call Bulls**t!! How many 1st year starters put up 50 TDs and 5,000 yards and won the MVP? It's an exclusive club of one. Mahomes should rewrite the record books. If there is one person who is capable of going back to back 50 TDs...it is Pat Mahomes. This offense is primed to shred teams. The only thing stopping them is if injuries creep in or if Andy purposely takes the gas pedal off. If the defense is indeed much improved and teams aren't always scoring 25-30 points then Andy won't want to embarrass some coach by beating them 40--17. So who knows?

Not all the articles on Mahomes are like that.  Just most of them.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/8/14/20803796/patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-quarterback-history-outlook

Title of this article:

History Says Patrick Mahomes Should Regress in 2019. History Has Never Seen Anyone Like Patrick Mahomes.

The Chiefs phenom had the best debut season of any quarterback in NFL history. Could he be even better in Year 2?

13 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Personally I think our talent on defense is considerably better than last year.  You are correct that we don't know for sure, but in my mind we are better.  Partly from additions, partly by improving scheme for Hitchens, Kpass etc. 

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Why do you say that?  LItton kicked Shurmer's ass in that game statistially,  I was struck by how good LItton looked.  He has a great arm and knows Reid's system better. I can't understand what the basis is for that statement. Is it the one INT?  I'm not sure that was Litton's mistake.

Nothing beyond the talking heads at TC.  Both looked pretty good against CINN.  I'm not sure either would survive on the PS if another team is looking for a back up with upside. 

11 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Nothing beyond the talking heads at TC.  Both looked pretty good against CINN.  I'm not sure either would survive on the PS if another team is looking for a back up with upside. 

11 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I agree, but LItton struck me.  I began to feel a lot better about our depth at QB after that.  The only thing I noticed was that he used his strong arm to throw bullets with a flat trajectory more than he needed.  He needs to show a little more touch and more arc to allow contested catches, especially with our taller receivers. I thought his footwork in the pocket looked pretty good.  He didn't seem to get happy feet.

57 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Berry replaced with HB.  Ford replaced with Clark.  Only downgrade is whatever Houston could contribute.  The big upside is the change in coordinator, coaching, and system.  It's looking that Kpass and Speaks are coming around to at least good #2 level talent with upside.  Wilson and Lee are good additions and the scheme should help Hitchens.  Breeland has had a good camp so far and seems healthy.  Claiborne could start opposite down the road, but until then the Chiefs have reasonable young talent.  It's hard to not be concerned about Fuller but he's a proven slot cover man.  Thornhill is an upgrade.  I don't see how the media is missing all the changes.  

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Berry replaced with HB.  Ford replaced with Clark.  Only downgrade is whatever Houston could contribute.  The big upside is the change in coordinator, coaching, and system.  It's looking that Kpass and Speaks are coming around to at least good #2 level talent with upside.  Wilson and Lee are good additions and the scheme should help Hitchens.  Breeland has had a good camp so far and seems healthy.  Claiborne could start opposite down the road, but until then the Chiefs have reasonable young talent.  It's hard to not be concerned about Fuller but he's a proven slot cover man.  Thornhill is an upgrade.  I don't see how the media is missing all the changes.  

Agree with all of that.  The media are mostly just guys mailing it in based on the prior year.  Seems like precious few really pay much attention to the present.  Its just laziness.  Drawing a paycheck without any real research.

Just now, Fmbl2187 said:

Agree with all of that.  The media are mostly just guys mailing it in based on the prior year.  Seems like precious few really pay much attention to the present.  Its just laziness.  Drawing a paycheck without any real research.

True, if you're not the Jets, Giants, or NE, then it just not worth the effort to inform your readers. 

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Looking ahead, I see the defense being improved, the media suddenly seeing that and then jumping on the bandwagon that we are now unbeatable.  If that happens, how are the young guys on the team going to handle those expectations, especially when the key injuries start to happen? There will be huge pressure to win every single game.  The coaches should help them with that, but it is a concern of mine.  Its a nice concern to have, though.

2 hours ago, dksww said:

why?  who cares who the #2 is?  If Mahomes goes down for an extended period it's season over anyway.

It matters. What if Mahomes is out a month. All of a sudden we have a completely unproven undrafted free agent who's never thrown an NFL pass playing in 4 crucial games. We could go from the 1 seed to out of the playoffs. All because we were trying to save 2.1 million vs the CAP?  If Litton and Henne were close. You may be right and they would roll the dice. I just see zero way Andy is taking that kind of risk. He never has in his entire career has he? Certainly hasn't in KC.  I'd lay better odds is Shurmer who ends up on the PS and Litton cut. It will be interesting to see what happens to Litton though for sure. If I'm wrong, I'll certainly eat major crow right here. 

18 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

It matters. What if Mahomes is out a month. All of a sudden we have a completely unproven undrafted free agent who's never thrown an NFL pass playing in 4 crucial games. We could go from the 1 seed to out of the playoffs. All because we were trying to save 2.1 million vs the CAP?  If Litton and Henne were close. You may be right and they would roll the dice. I just see zero way Andy is taking that kind of risk. He never has in his entire career has he? Certainly hasn't in KC.  I'd lay better odds is Shurmer who ends up on the PS and Litton cut. It will be interesting to see what happens to Litton though for sure. If I'm wrong, I'll certainly eat major crow right here. 

I just don't see Chad Henne being able to do much other than throw screens and mid range passes.  With Litton you would at least have the whole field as an option and if he had a good 4 game stretch, he would have value in a trade the next off-season.

A little Chiefs history for those whippersnappers in here who think that having an experienced #2 QB is unimportant:  The ONLY OTHER SUPERBOWL this franchise has won, a full half century ago, our fine QB, Len Dawson, went out for 5 games with an injury.  We won that AFL title only because we had an experienced #2 QB to lead the team for 5 games, Mike Livingston.  I loved the way Litton looked.  But we need an experienced #2.  We have the line and the weapons for him to hold the fort in case Mahomes goes down for awhile.  Even a short and intermediate game will work if we have a guy who eats and sleeps Reid's playbook and has started for more than one team.

12 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Why is everyone assuming that Litton is ahead of Shurmer?  I'm not convinced that he is. 

As for me, I am basing that on what I saw in Cincy. My opinion could change completely by the end of pre-season.  LItton really impressed me in that first game, and his arm is very strong.  Any backup will need to be able to get the ball to our speedsters if called upon.

23 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

This is so true, and it always impresses me when you listen to someone who actually does know what their talking about. It seems it hit or miss with most of the media, and sometimes they get it and sometimes not. I remember going back and watching analyst talk about Mahomes right after he was drafted and almost all of them were wrong in one way or another. Only a few nailed it, and even they were not totally sure

3 hours ago, qnet said:

This is so true, and it always impresses me when you listen to someone who actually does know what their talking about. It seems it hit or miss with most of the media, and sometimes they get it and sometimes not. I remember going back and watching analyst talk about Mahomes right after he was drafted and almost all of them were wrong in one way or another. Only a few nailed it, and even they were not totally sure

I enjoy the daily "Locked On Chiefs" podcasts.  They have a little too much homerism, but at least they actually attend TC and pay attention to what moves the team makes.  Also enjoy some of the Athletic articles.  Local radio is pretty worthless and the national media doesn't pay attention to fly over country.   

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I enjoy the daily "Locked On Chiefs" podcasts.  They have a little too much homerism, but at least they actually attend TC and pay attention to what moves the team makes.  Also enjoy some of the Athletic articles.  Local radio is pretty worthless and the national media doesn't pay attention to fly over country.   

I'll have to look into the podcast.  Right now, I mainly scarf up the articles on Arrowhead Pride and occasionally on Arrowhead Addict.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:28 PM, Fmbl2187 said:

Sort of like how fans of one team really don't pay attention to other teams? At All?

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Sort of like how fans of one team really don't pay attention to other teams? At All?

Of course, most fans focus on their preferred team.  That's natural.  Beyond that, many of us follow the moves of division rivals and maybe a team that seems to be standing in the way of our home team's success.  You probably pay more attention to the Browns and Steelers and less to the Donks or Chargers.  What's unusual or wrong with that?  On the other hand, the media has a responsibility to report on all teams and to all fans if they're truly national media.   

12 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Of course, most fans focus on their preferred team.  That's natural.  Beyond that, many of us follow the moves of division rivals and maybe a team that seems to be standing in the way of our home team's success.  You probably pay more attention to the Browns and Steelers and less to the Donks or Chargers.  What's unusual or wrong with that?  On the other hand, the media has a responsibility to report on all teams and to all fans if they're truly national media.   

Absolutely.  I don't think that that normal tendency and expectation is related in any way to laziness in national sports media coverage. In fact, the NFL depends on it. As an example, I don't give a rat's ass or know anything about the changes in, or prospects for, the Miami Dolphins.  But I am not writing articles predicting their success in the national sports media either.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

It's certainly like that everywhere. Several years ago, on the old coalition board, a member (a think it was Dhitter) would post links to fan message boards of upcoming Chiefs opponents. I would visit these boards and it was the same old thing "Chiefs suck were going to pound them etc. etc... " It didn't matter if the team was a lessor or better team than the Chiefs. (paraphrasing of course)

What I like is there was always a few that knew more. They would mention players on the Chiefs and how they matched up against what they had, and how it may not be a cakewalk ( paraphrasing again). I could tell those were people who followed the NFL hardcore, or just paid more attention.  

Archived