What do you want to see in Pittsburgh?

28 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Absolutely.  I don't think that that normal tendency and expectation is related in any way to laziness in national sports media coverage. In fact, the NFL depends on it. As an example, I don't give a rat's ass or know anything about the changes in, or prospects for, the Miami Dolphins.  But I am not writing articles predicting their success in the national sports media either.

I paid a lot of attention when it was released that Derwin James would be out three to four months.  That's huge for the Chargers.  The national media didn't make it such a big deal but would have if James had played for the Giants or Jets.  The media naturally has a bias toward the large markets, although I think they underestimate the buying power of flyover country.  How much would it cost to have a few analysts cover the smaller market teams and give accurate reports on their status?  Sloppy journalism in my estimation. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jetlord said:

I paid a lot of attention when it was released that Derwin James would be out three to four months.  That's huge for the Chargers.  The national media didn't make it such a big deal but would have if James had played for the Giants or Jets.  The media naturally has a bias toward the large markets, although I think they underestimate the buying power of flyover country.  How much would it cost to have a few analysts cover the smaller market teams and give accurate reports on their status?  Sloppy journalism in my estimation. 

Mahomes is starting to change all that.  If we get to the Super Bowl, it will even more. It's a double-edged sword. I actually prefer that other teams think of us as the underdog.  Those days are past.

33 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Mahomes is starting to change all that.  If we get to the Super Bowl, it will even more. It's a double-edged sword. I actually prefer that other teams think of us as the underdog.  Those days are past.

True.  Mahomes is a weekly highlight reel.  My observation is that the national media saw the subtractions of defense, Berry, Houston, and Ford, and never bothered to see what would replace them.  They never took into account the change at DC or the new position coaches.  They didn't see Okafor, Wilson, or Lee.  They reported on Clark and HB but still wrote about the losses as if that would degrade the defense.  I'm not one to worry about getting props from the media, but the lack in insight on subjects they could easily learn about is maddening. 

34 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I have never understood why people would want their team to be considered the underdog. I would much rather our team be considered the baddest mother truckers on the planet. By each and every team in the league.  Dynasties are not built by underdogs.  They are the 1970s Steelers, Joe Montana and the 49ers, the patriots. They don’t fly under the radar like I hear on here. They curb stomp people. They intimidate. I hope we are never an underdog again.  Leave that for the raiders. 

6 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I have never understood why people would want their team to be considered the underdog. I would much rather our team be considered the baddest mother truckers on the planet. By each and every team in the league.  Dynasties are not built by underdogs.  They are the 1970s Steelers, Joe Montana and the 49ers, the patriots. They don’t fly under the radar like I hear on here. They curb stomp people. They intimidate. I hope we are never an underdog again.  Leave that for the raiders. 

After last season, the Chiefs' won't be overlooked.  The defense could surprise some people with all the changes and Reid will have a few new wrinkles on offense, but real football people will know the Chiefs are for real and can come back from deficits.  Won't sneak up on anybody. 

Chiefs defense is a big unknown to all with too many newcomers so I can understand writing them off initially but I think the offense is getting enough attention for the whole team. With a decent start on defense Chiefs could be the center of attention for the whole NFL.

Losing Berry was losing nothing.  The guy barely played the past 2-3 years.  If HB can stay on the field with Thornhill that will be an ENORMOUS upgrade.  That should help our CBs a little too.

On paper our d-line looks ferocious with good depth (Clark, Jones, Nnadi, Speaks, Okafor, Ogbah, KPass, and Sanders).  I have a feeling KPass was seriously mishandled by Sutton & has some real talent.  I’ll bet Speaks gets bumped inside on passing downs.  

Last, but most important: we no longer have Sutton calling the shots on D.  The predictability of his play calling, putting the D in dime all of the time during all situations (running downs included), refusing to blitz, having Houston out in coverage 1/2 the time, etc.....  Our defense improved dramatically the day he was let go.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

True.  Mahomes is a weekly highlight reel.  My observation is that the national media saw the subtractions of defense, Berry, Houston, and Ford, and never bothered to see what would replace them.  They never took into account the change at DC or the new position coaches.  They didn't see Okafor, Wilson, or Lee.  They reported on Clark and HB but still wrote about the losses as if that would degrade the defense.  I'm not one to worry about getting props from the media, but the lack in insight on subjects they could easily learn about is maddening. 

True.  Besides that, they are not at all aware of the team esprit or togetherness, the incredible atmosphere in the LR, and the quality of the coaching staff as you say.  Those things are completely off their radar.  They may be right by accident as far as the negative effect of the D having to learn an entirely new system.  They will get better as they go along.  Next season, it is possible that we could have an upper tier D.

The first team doing a 3 and out was nice. Pitt seemed to have quite a gew starters on their defense longer in this game. Pat will get those throws down but i am sure Reid is just working on simple things now with play calls.  Any word on HB and his shoulder?

Oh and Ward looked like shit.

35 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

The first team doing a 3 and out was nice. Pitt seemed to have quite a gew starters on their defense longer in this game. Pat will get those throws down but i am sure Reid is just working on simple things now with play calls.  Any word on HB and his shoulder?

Oh and Ward looked like shit.

Nothing serious on the HB injury. 

Ward has been rather up/down in the pre-season, which isn't great. 

20 hours ago, jetlord said:

Derwin James plays in the second biggest media market in the country. And wouldn’t you agree Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre we’re covered by the media to the extreme despite playing in flyover country? After Tom Brady is there a more referenced QB in the NFL today than Patrick Mahomes? I doubt it. 

Of course the media knows and caters to the its demographics, which means in part the bigger markets.  But star power trumps market size.  In this case you and I know how good and important James is to one of the leagues better teams. As such probably deserves closer scrutiny.  But for their average big city viewer more concerned with his/her local team and fantasy football, it’s really not all that newsworthy. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I'm pretty sure Veach is out looking for all options at CB right now. I think Ward has decent potential but he's just not ready to start yet. Probably needs to rotate for at least another year. 

Its Claibourn. First 4 games , not tough schedule, should be 3-1 for KC maybe 4-0. He should be ready to go then.

2 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Its Claibourn. First 4 games , not tough schedule, should be 3-1 for KC maybe 4-0. He should be ready to go then.

I think he has the spot once he comes back but would be great if we could add another guy or two in the mix. The rest seems so deep that we should be able to come up with some trades. 

On 8/17/2019 at 4:20 PM, jetlord said:

Every national media member has dogged the Ravens for our "losses on the defensive side " when everyone knew Weddle was done....he just doesn't know.

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

Glad Andy got them off the field 

Amen to that.  PIT ran a blitz at least five times against the Chiefs in just the first two series.  That just isn't done early in pre-season.  Maybe the Steelers were looking at something to try for later in the season, maybe they really wanted to win, or maybe it was payback for the way the Chiefs embarrassed them at their house last season.  Whatever, it was best to get Mahomes our of that situation.  I doubt the Chiefs were prepared for or expecting the blitzes and one hit could ruin a promising season.   Wonder why the Steelers kept blitzing the whole game, even with the threes in. 

On 8/17/2019 at 3:22 PM, reesebobby said:

It’s easier to be the underdog and likely not get everyone’s best effort because of it. We completely snuck up on the Patriots in the opener two years ago. 

All that said, I 100 percent with you. I want my teams to have the target on them and learn how to deal with it. It means we’ve earned respect through our play. It’s indeed how championships are won and dynasties are born. 

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Amen to that.  PIT ran a blitz at least five times against the Chiefs in just the first two series.  That just isn't done early in pre-season.  Maybe the Steelers were looking at something to try for later in the season, maybe they really wanted to win, or maybe it was payback for the way the Chiefs embarrassed them at their house last season.  Whatever, it was best to get Mahomes our of that situation.  I doubt the Chiefs were prepared for or expecting the blitzes and one hit could ruin a promising season.   Wonder why the Steelers kept blitzing the whole game, even with the threes in. 

I am glad they blitzed. Mahomes taking what was underneath and yards given is a plus. Rb have to pass pro and the line got some real work in. Helps us in identifying what we need to do and gives is real game experience. 

14 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I am glad they blitzed. Mahomes taking what was underneath and yards given is a plus. Rb have to pass pro and the line got some real work in. Helps us in identifying what we need to do and gives is real game experience. 

Okay, probably good experience for the Chiefs.  It just wasn't a healthy situation for Mahomes at this point. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s easier to be the underdog and likely not get everyone’s best effort because of it. We completely snuck up on the Patriots in the opener two years ago. 

All that said, I 100 percent with you. I want my teams to have the target on them and learn how to deal with it. It means we’ve earned respect through our play. It’s indeed how championships are won and dynasties are born. 

Using that logic, the underdogs should win more than they do. 

3 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Using that logic, the underdogs should win more than they do. 

I heard a coach say last year that its impossible to get his team to play at the 100 percent energy level over the course of a season. Simply natural to let down against some of the teams you expect to beat both in how focused you are and the energy you bring. And this sport probably more than any other is all about energy and intensity. The difference between good and great teams is how they handle this in my opinion. The great teams battle through and win most of the games they should anyway. Good teams will slip up and let inferior teams beat them more than they should. It's also very hard to really quantify how much an underdog should win.

But case in point. Do you think we got a better effort from New England in the AFC Championship game or the home opener in 2017?

Archived