What do you want to see in Pittsburgh?

11 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I would throw skittles from my MRE to the Iraqi kids in 2003 and by 2004 they were throwing them back at me. Man did they love the pork MRE though.

We did the same in Desert Storm.....prisoners gave up in droves and we fed them the pork slices in juices, then told them later.

1 guy shrugged his shoulders and said "If Allah sends me to hell, at least it will be with a full belly"

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

We did the same in Desert Storm.....prisoners gave up in droves and we fed them the pork slices in juices, then told them later.

1 guy shrugged his shoulders and said "If Allah sends me to hell, at least it will be with a full belly"

Interesting, forgot you were a fellow Gulf war veteran. 

On the subject you all were talking about, the Ravens game was one of the toughest games I remember last season. I'm a Alex Smith fan, but don't think we win that game if he was the QB. 

42 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Time of Possession Ravens 31:27 Chiefs 37:00- This includes OT- hardly domination.

Yards and 1st downs are immaterial- just ask the 2003-2004 Chiefs.

So TOP and first downs aren’t metrics that matter.  Or the fact our drive in OT that left a team that couldn't pass the ball only 4:30 to score didn't matter. Okay. If you say so. Bottom line we got the W and a sweep of the AFC North. I’ll leave the moral victories like keeping score close to our opponents.  

30 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I was 18 and a senior during DS. Joined up in 93 though and Somali was the thing we all got ready for, but never materialized. Glad i stuck it out for 24 and retired at 46 years old. Best decision ever for me.

53 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Time of Possession Ravens 31:27 Chiefs 37:00- This includes OT- hardly domination.

Yards and 1st downs are immaterial- just ask the 2003-2004 Chiefs.

I don't think you or anyone else believes that yards and 1st downs are immaterial.  Those yards and 1st downs put us in to position to miss two field goals in regulation that are normally gonna be made.  That's not really on your defense, it's on our special teams.  That would have been 30 points in regulation.   And the first missed field goal gave the Ravens the ball pretty close to midfield and they were able to capitalize with a field goal of their own.  Yards, first downs and time of possession are never immaterial.  They are all necessary for the scoring of points. 

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I was 18 and a senior during DS. Joined up in 93 though and Somali was the thing we all got ready for, but never materialized. Glad i stuck it out for 24 and retired at 46 years old. Best decision ever for me.

Thanks for your service my man.

22 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

So TOP and first downs aren’t metrics that matter.  Or the fact our drive in OT that left a team that couldn't pass the ball only 4:30 to score didn't matter. Okay. If you say so. Bottom line we got the W and a sweep of the AFC North. I’ll leave the moral victories like keeping score close to our opponents.  

You missed the point. But thats okay.

22 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I don't think you or anyone else believes that yards and 1st downs are immaterial.  Those yards and 1st downs put us in to position to miss two field goals in regulation that are normally gonna be made.  That's not really on your defense, it's on our special teams.  That would have been 30 points in regulation.   And the first missed field goal gave the Ravens the ball pretty close to midfield and they were able to capitalize with a field goal of their own.  Yards, first downs and time of possession are never immaterial.  They are all necessary for the scoring of points. 

So the yds and 1st downs got you two big fat zeros so what good were they?

But its all good.

I'm not arguing stats as a measure of success.  I just commented that the offense did it's job, your defense did not, and our special teams did not.  Yards and first downs are not irrelevant.  They are fundamental to success in the game of football.  And while they do not always get you points, you will not score with regularity if you cannot move the ball effectively. 

25 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

So holding us to 27 points got you a big fat loss so what good did your defense do you?

Its not hard to understand how the Chiefs offense had a ton of yardage and first downs hence running a lot of clock that kept their time consuming running attack vs our woeful run defense from controlling the terms of the game. 450 yards and 30 first downs was a major win for the offense. Controlling the clock is not what we do best and missing FGs, Watkins and Hunt all contributed to a rare inability to convert 30 first downs into 30 plus point as would usually be the case. But like the rest of the AFC North we had no trouble moving the football and piling up enough yards to win despite the defense and some short yardage issues and unusual unforced errors. Heck even in OT our drive was derailed by an unforced fumble when Mahomes just flat dropped the ball. If we lose, they are just all excuses. But we didn't. 

Archived