Contracts? Mahomes?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we can all agree to the following:

1. The Chiefs will extend him

2. Mahomes is worth every penny

3. Mahomes knows that he can make more in endorsements than actual salary, if he wins Super Bowls and can win multiple MVP's.

4. Mahomes knows that the Chiefs need cap $$ to stay competitive and keep winning

5. We have another year to enjoy his work before this is top of mind.

w

25 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Word is Dak Prescott is asking for $40 million per year although that has been shot down by numerous sources.

R Wilson avgs about $30 per year so I gues DP is looking for $34 mill per year

Where does that put Mahomes? $40+ mill per year?

Jerry Jones is a fool if he pays Prescott that kind of money.  He is not even in Russell Wilson's universe.

Mahomes will get north of 40.

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Word is Dak Prescott is asking for $40 million per year although that has been shot down by numerous sources.

R Wilson avgs about $30 per year so I gues DP is looking for $34 mill per year

Where does that put Mahomes? $40+ mill per year?

It’s been assumed for a while 40 million is around the number.  Chiefs have club control under rookie contract for three more years and can’t even begin legit negotiation until 2020.  Whatever Veach does you won’t see the CAP situation impacted until after the new CBA in two years. It’s why they can do what they want to acquire a big piece IF opportunity arises. 

Kirk Cousins may be a prime example of why you don’t dump tons of guaranteed money on a middling QB like Dak. He could still prove it worthy, but if they are 8-8 or there abouts again... big waste. Flacco’s deal was also crazy, but at least he won a super bowl to justify his argument for it.

Rookies must play out their contract so we won't see any impact until 2021, except some cap hit if Veach wants it so. That being said I wouldn't rule out Mahomes waiting another year for the new CBA, he might be losing much more money in the long run by extending just a year earlier. 

6 hours ago, West said:

57 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Rookies must play out their contract so we won't see any impact until 2021, except some cap hit if Veach wants it so. That being said I wouldn't rule out Mahomes waiting another year for the new CBA, he might be losing much more money in the long run by extending just a year earlier. 

I don't know all the details of the CBA, so I'm confused about this.

Mahomes' rookie contract is 4 years + 5th year team option, correct?  I've heard he can't sign an extension until after year 3, but if he does that when does it kick in and affect our cap?  Year 4, year 5, or year 6?

3 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Kirk Cousins may be a prime example of why you don’t dump tons of guaranteed money on a middling QB like Dak. He could still prove it worthy, but if they are 8-8 or there abouts again... big waste. Flacco’s deal was also crazy, but at least he won a super bowl to justify his argument for it.

Dak isn't any better than Alex Smith. There's no way they should pay 30 million, much less 40 for him. 

20 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Mahomes' rookie contract is 4 years + 5th year team option, correct?  I've heard he can't sign an extension until after year 3, but if he does that when does it kick in and affect our cap?  Year 4, year 5, or year 6?

He must play out his rookie contract. The team can decide to ignore the 5th year option and extend him after 3rd year but that contract will be effective after the rookie contract expires. However teams are allowed to use that 1 year to absorb the signing bonus.

43 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Mahomes' rookie contract is 4 years + 5th year team option, correct?  I've heard he can't sign an extension until after year three, but if he does that when does it kick in and affect our cap?  Year 4, year 5, or year 6?

Looking at other contracts like this it appears when you sign and submit the contract it takes place immediately and voids the prior contract terms. 1st round draft picks have zero leverage after year three at all. So the club extending a player at this point does so to save money over the long haul by getting it done earlier and to keep its elite players happy. 50 million now is worth more than 60 million later so its a win/win to do so IF the player continues to play at a high level.  

So the CAP ramifications in the first few years is where you can be negatively impacted by doing this. But the big third year extensions I looked at nearly always had a very similar CAP impact in year one (or what would have been year 4).  Example JJ Watt went from a 3.5 CAP hit to a 4.5. Patrick Peterson went from 5.8 to 6.9. This despite their two contracts totaling over 170 million dollars. In short they just lowered the base pay for the year to offset the signing bonus hit. So we can expect VERY little impact from a likely Mahomes extension for the 2020 season. 

Beyond that it just depends on what the GM wants to do. Watts CAP hit doubled from 6.9 to 13.9. Still a bargain though. Peterson went from 10 to 14. So in their case their CAP situation led them to start paying the piper. But thats entirely up to Veach and how he sees our CAP situation in 2021. Veach has created CAP flexiblity through a lot of veteran cuts and even with our big contracts and likely extensions coming up, we are in great position to add a big piece IF one came available. After 2021 is when the plan has to be to kind of rework the core. 

57 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Dak isn't any better than Alex Smith. There's no way they should pay 30 million, much less 40 for him. 

If I were a Dallas fan, I wouldn't want to give him 15 mill per year, let alone double that.   I'd let him walk and just draft one next year.  I doubt there's a team in the league that would give that guy that kind of money.

Russel, I see it. But Dak is nothing special IMO. Pat is no joke. Losing Peyton, Brady, Rogers and Brees over the next few years leaves a drought at QB. Wentz, Goff, Luck, Newton, etc., etc. pretty pedestrian compared to what we have been blessed with in the aforementioned.

Mahomes is it. I don’t see a close second. Scared to see what the dollars are or what we can afford after that, but you can’t not sign that deal. 

58 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Russel, I see it. But Dak is nothing special IMO. Pat is no joke. Losing Peyton, Brady, Rogers and Brees over the next few years leaves a drought at QB. Wentz, Goff, Luck, Newton, etc., etc. pretty pedestrian compared to what we have been blessed with in the aforementioned.

Mahomes is it. I don’t see a close second. Scared to see what the dollars are or what we can afford after that, but you can’t not sign that deal. 

Don't know, I think the NFL has more good young talent at QB right now than they've had in my lifetime.  Teams starting to open up the offenses to be more spread QB friendly has really made a difference.

1 minute ago, xen said:

Don't know, I think the NFL has more good young talent at QB right now than they've had in my lifetime.  Teams starting to open up the offenses to be more spread QB friendly has really made a difference.

You may be right. I just haven’t seen guys that the big 4 until Mahomes. Luck is turning 30 without much accomplished. Wentz commands a team that won a Super Bowl with a back up but can’t stay healthy long enough to make a run. Goff had better weapons than Pat and a good D but couldn’t close the deal. I think Luck and Wilson have been the cream, but I don’t see legend in them. Watson will not be a legend. 

I hope there is another class of legends. They look like a bunch of Alex smiths at best to me. 

17 minutes ago, DieHard said:

You may be right. I just haven’t seen guys that the big 4 until Mahomes. Luck is turning 30 without much accomplished. Wentz commands a team that won a Super Bowl with a back up but can’t stay healthy long enough to make a run. Goff had better weapons than Pat and a good D but couldn’t close the deal. I think Luck and Wilson have been the cream, but I don’t see legend in them. Watson will not be a legend. 

I hope there is another class of legends. They look like a bunch of Alex smiths at best to me. 

only wilson would be the cream of the crop...only one of all the QB's you mentioned to win a SB

12 hours ago, West said:

I think we can all agree to the following:

1. The Chiefs will extend him

2. Mahomes is worth every penny

3. Mahomes knows that he can make more in endorsements than actual salary, if he wins Super Bowls and can win multiple MVP's.

4. Mahomes knows that the Chiefs need cap $$ to stay competitive and keep winning

w

I agree with West on this.  Especially #'s 3 & 4.  Of course I don't know him personally but I do not see him as a person that wants to be the mega bucks greedy guy.  His dad was a professional pitcher for how many years?  So he comes from a monied background.  And from the times I got to listen to him speak, he sounded like he cared more for his team winning than he did his own greed.  I am very possibly wrong but I think he will stay in the moderate range when the contract talks time come. 

44 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Ahh, but you're overlooking the new GOAT.  Lamar Jackson is poised to lead the Ravens to the promised land for years to come. I read it right here in CTO. 

4 hours ago, xen said:

Yes. Took a long time for the old ways to change. If Marty would have budged we would already have won a super bowl in our lifetime. Stubbornness hinders innovation and evolution..

8 hours ago, xen said:

QBs are running far more complex passing offenses in high school and the residual effect are more college and then NFL ready players. Combine that with rule changes  and far more innovative approaches on offense including embracing a lot of college spread concepts .  We’ve got the perfect storm for a new era of the QB.  And judging by the tv ratings last year, it came at the perfect time. 

Archived