is Luck's contract the reason behind his retirement?

oldtimer

It seemed to me  while not knowing much about the Colts did his  immense contract  cost the team  the ability to field a competent O-line which led to his physical beating.. am I on track with that thought?

could this be warning  to the others that  you may get paid but your going to earn it  painfully?

I don't think so.  Here's a list of their lineman drafted in the early rounds recently.

Anthony Castonzo, Rd 1

Ben Ijalana, Rd 2

Hugh Thornton, Rd 3

Khaled Holmes, Rd 4

Jack Mawhort, Rd 2

Ryan Kelly, Rd 1

Quenton Nelson, Rd 1.

They been able invest heavily in the line. And frankly, Luck's sack percentage of 5% is pretty low. 

Ryan Grigson, a total dumbass, killed his career IMO. 

Drafted 3 OL total his entire run as the GM and all three were busts.  Too busy drafting receivers and trading a first rounder for Trent Richardson.  Oof Trent Richardson, one of my bigger whiffs.  If only he had actually worked hard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 2:18 PM, liquidfriend said:

Ryan Grigson, a total dumbass, killed his career IMO. 

Drafted 3 OL total his entire run as the GM and all three were busts.  Too busy drafting receivers and trading a first rounder for Trent Richardson.  Oof Trent Richardson, one of my bigger whiffs.  If only he had actually worked hard.

thats not true

On 9/6/2019 at 6:19 PM, DieHard said:

What are your thoughts on this brother. We don’t get a lot of Colt local info. The timing sucks but if your body is done, then it’s not your fault.

What is your opinion about it?

i think it is very unfortunate for colts fans and football fans in general.  the timing sucks but what is he going to do about it.  he tried to get healthy, it wasnt working and he decided to hang it up.  hopefully he gets better and gives it another go.  he was very fun to watch.  i honestly think he was just scratching the surface of how good he could be.

Luck talked before last year about going through depression during his shoulder injury.  he has referenced it a few times.  irsay even made a comment about Luck having to get things right mentally.  so i hope he gets whatever help or healing he needs.  from all accounts he is an awesome dude.  

On 9/6/2019 at 6:49 PM, liquidfriend said:

He had the shit sacked out of him with the injuries piled up.  I would say so.

what you said was wrong. it is simply not factual. they drafted guys and signed guys during free agency to help the oline.  just nothing worked.  

add into the fact that pagano and the coaches made no changes to the gameplan to account for lack of oline help.  just drop deep, hold the ball and go.

pagano was possibly the worst head coach i have ever seen.  

5 minutes ago, omahacolt said:

what you said was wrong. it is simply not factual. they drafted guys and signed guys during free agency to help the oline.  just nothing worked.  

add into the fact that pagano and the coaches made no changes to the gameplan to account for lack of oline help.  just drop deep, hold the ball and go.

pagano was possibly the worst head coach i have ever seen.  

That line was terrible from the moment Grigson took the job and the most they did was a 2nd round selection in Mewhort.  By the time Grigson figured it out and spent a 1 on Ryan Kelly it was already too late.

You're implying that it can't be both Pagano was a terrible coach and the Colts squandered Luck by not getting him adequate protection, but it can certainly be both. 

3 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

That line was terrible from the moment Grigson took the job and the most they did was a 2nd round selection in Mewhort.  By the time Grigson figured it out and spent a 1 on Ryan Kelly it was already too late.

You're implying that it can't be both Pagano was a terrible coach and the Colts squandered Luck by not getting him adequate protection, but it can certainly be both. 

the drafted mewhort.  spent a 3rd and 4th on oline.  drafted 3 olinemen in the kelly draft.

they signed many free agents.  donald thomas at guard tore his quad in the 2nd game with the colts and never came back.  signed samson satele who sucked.  signed another guard that sucked.  signed gosder cherilus who was good the first year but got hurt the 2nd.  signed an old todd herremans at guard who sucked.  

they shit the bed protecting Luck, but to say they didn't try is wrong.  and coaching was terrible as well.  

4 minutes ago, omahacolt said:

the drafted mewhort.  spent a 3rd and 4th on oline.  drafted 3 olinemen in the kelly draft.

they signed many free agents.  donald thomas at guard tore his quad in the 2nd game with the colts and never came back.  signed samson satele who sucked.  signed another guard that sucked.  signed gosder cherilus who was good the first year but got hurt the 2nd.  signed an old todd herremans at guard who sucked.  

they shit the bed protecting Luck, but to say they didn't try is wrong.  and coaching was terrible as well.  

4th round is Day 3 and really doesn't count.  If you get a guy to stick on the roster at all by that point it's a Christmas Miracle.

Spending a 2 and a 3 and bargain shopping in FA isn't really trying all that much.  I feel comfortable in saying they didn't try all that much to protect him.

19 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

4th round is Day 3 and really doesn't count.  If you get a guy to stick on the roster at all by that point it's a Christmas Miracle.

Spending a 2 and a 3 and bargain shopping in FA isn't really trying all that much.  I feel comfortable in saying they didn't try all that much to protect him.

Well you are wrong.  If you are ok with that then fine, but you are wrong

The Offensive System was bad considering the line, yes you're definitely correct there.  I'm not putting it all at the feet of Grigson because it was a total botch from the top on down.

It'll be interesting to see what the Colts do at the position over the long term.  I don't see another Suck for Luck sort of campaign for them anytime soon.

Archived