Darwin Thompson "steal of the draft"

49 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Valid for sure. But consider the Ravens had Priest Holmes on the roster and still felt the need to draft a RB with the sixth pick overall. Seems almost crazy in retrospect. Sometimes teams don’t realize what they had or give a guy the real opportunity.  

Priest Holmes had a 1000 yard season for the Ravens.  Jamal Lewis was a special talent that they felt they couldn't pass on, and he still has the 3rd highest single season rushing total.  WIlliams never showed anything like Priest did, and he wasn't getting beat out by Jamal Lewis in Miami. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Valid for sure. But consider the Ravens had Priest Holmes on the roster and still felt the need to draft a RB with the sixth pick overall. Seems almost crazy in retrospect. Sometimes teams don’t realize what they had or give a guy the real opportunity.  

We also had one of the all time great Olines....doesn't hurt.

20 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

We also had one of the all time great Olines....doesn't hurt.

Absolutely. But Priest was also special. I mean he set the All Time NFL record for TDs in a season with 27 and went over 2,000 yards from scrimmage each of his first three seasons here. On point think about the opportunity cost lost by the Ravens by taking a RB at 6 overall with that on the roster! Just goes to show just because a team considers you a backup or you are buried behind another guy on the roster, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

Absolutely. But Priest was also special. I mean he set the All Time NFL record for TDs in a season with 27 and went over 2,000 yards from scrimmage each of his first three seasons here. On point think about the opportunity cost lost by the Ravens by taking a RB at 6 overall with that on the roster! Just goes to show just because a team considers you a backup or you are buried behind another guy on the roster, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

This is not common though

Still though you have to keep churning and bringing in talent that fits your team.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Priest Holmes had a 1000 yard season for the Ravens.  Jamal Lewis was a special talent that they felt they couldn't pass on, and he still has the 3rd highest single season rushing total.  WIlliams never showed anything like Priest did, and he wasn't getting beat out by Jamal Lewis in Miami. 

Priest also averaged 5.7 YPC in 1999. Highest in the NFL with a minimum of carries. And he had 1000 yards on barely over 200 carries. And Jamal's best season ever still wasn't as good as Priests best two at the same time. Again on point. They didn't need a RB, but didn't know it because they didn't give him a legit shot. Kind of like the Chiefs and Rich Gannon. As for Williams, no he didn't have much of any success in Miami. But same exact thing applies. He simply had very little opportunity. And he tore it up here this last 5-6 games. 

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

This is not common though

Still though you have to keep churning and bringing in talent that fits your team.

Its not common to let a player walk who sets the All Time single season TD record. That's for sure. We let Gannon walk and he won the MVP. On point its very common for teams to misuse, underuse or simply not believe in a player enough to give him a legit shot. 

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Its not common to let a player walk who sets the All Time single season TD record. That's for sure. We let Gannon walk and he won the MVP. On point its very common for teams to misuse, underuse or simply not believe in a player enough to give him a legit shot. 

It happens.  Nick Foles maybe.  But also on point, you rarely see a 27 year old with 7 career starts that turns out to be much of anything. 

54 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Another factor is that coaches and GMs commit to a player or course of action and are too stubborn to change directions.  That's my take on the Gannon situation. 

47 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Another factor is that coaches and GMs commit to a player or course of action and are too stubborn to change directions.  That's my take on the Gannon situation. 

Heck yes. People only like to play their guys sometimes. Gannon was one we just blew because of it.  I think the worst was actually Matt Cassel. Scott Pioli was so worried about another guy coming in and taking Cassels job that he literally brought in bum after bum while ignoring picks like Wilson despite having no real backup. As bad as the pick was I actually appreciated Dorsey cutting Kevari Russell so fast. Sometimes you just get it wrong. Don't make it worse by carrying the guy just to save face. 

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

It happens.  Nick Foles maybe.  But also on point, you rarely see a 27 year old with 7 career starts that turns out to be much of anything. 

For sure. And it takes shrewd scouting to sniff these type players out. So I give Veach credit for finding Williams who was good enough our offense didn't really suffer despite him being the third running back. I also remember when we signed Priest Holmes, the much more accomplished Charlie Garner was also on the radar. But we went all in on Priest. 

55 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I think there's no question about that.  But probably not as true at running back as quarterback.  Pretty much every back is gonna see the field and have an opportunity to play.  Not so with quarterbacks.  Usually an injury or major major sucking is required to get a quarterback change. I wonder what the face of the NFL would be if Drew Bledsoe didn't get hurt. 

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Holmes had 100 yds in 98. In 99 he only played in 9 games while Jamal Lewis was the bell cow of the offense. AFC North football was much different than the Air Coryell AFC West. It was Smash mouth, line your guy up and I'll line mine up see who ends up on their butt football. Holmes wasn't that kind of back. He was a runner, a cutter, a pass receiver....Air Coryell was perfect for him. The 98 season was Run and Shoot- perfect him also. In 99 they went to West Coast but were limited by the QB's, Tony Banks, Stony Case and Scott Mitchell....52% completion was the highest....3300 yds...Holmes wasn't a fit.

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Absolutely. But Priest was also special. I mean he set the All Time NFL record for TDs in a season with 27 and went over 2,000 yards from scrimmage each of his first three seasons here. On point think about the opportunity cost lost by the Ravens by taking a RB at 5th overall with that on the roster! Just goes to show just because a team considers you a backup or you are buried behind another guy on the roster, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

Again, wrong offense for him. Wrong Offensive line for him. Wrong division for him.

"The Ravens took Lewis with the fifth pick overall in the draft because he has shown the ability to be an explosive runner inside. Last season, Baltimore lacked a powerful punch up the middle, particularly in the red zone. With Errict Rhett gone to Cleveland during the offseason, the Ravens needed a running back they could depend on to get them four to five yards a carry.

Billick is giving Lewis and four-year veteran Priest Holmes an equal amount of repetitions during practice. Holmes, who set the Ravens' all-time single-season rushing record in 1998 with 1,008 yards, remains the starter, but he is more of a finesse runner. Also, Holmes, did not see much playing time last season after spraining his right knee in the first game."

1 minute ago, Calichief said:

Shit, I just had a surgery a couple weeks ago 

good to know im gonna have problems forever 

My problem is the mesh.  My surgeon said that I am one of the lucky 6-8% that will have chronic pain from it for life.  Also, have nerve damage from the surgery that doesn’t help either.  You might be fine.  Like I said, I am in the minority.  But, if you do develop issues, don’t mess with the NSAIDS.  I stumbled onto a natural anti-inflammatory supplement called Curcumin that has worked wonders.  

15 minutes ago, SEMO said:

My problem is the mesh.  My surgeon said that I am one of the lucky 6-8% that will have chronic pain from it for life.  Also, have nerve damage from the surgery that doesn’t help either.  You might be fine.  Like I said, I am in the minority.  But, if you do develop issues, don’t mess with the NSAIDS.  I stumbled onto a natural anti-inflammatory supplement called Curcumin that has worked wonders.  

That sucks SEMO.  Hopefully sometime they can figure that out. 

21 minutes ago, SEMO said:

it ate my stomach out &  my bowels hated me..but I have diverticulitis so that might of not helped

With RB's, you just never know. I wonder what percentage of high draft choices at RB have actually had the kind of success predicted.  The college game requires physical skill and aggressiveness.  The NFL requires better vision and high intelligence and skillful social interactions on a team and with coaches...things not really measurable in the draft process.

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Yes they are.  Once you get one, it's easier to get another.

I stretch out very well before doing physical activity.

Stretching is crucial for nearly anything, but it doesn't really help with hernias.  You are either born with a weakness in the inquinal canal, or you aren't.  And yes.  If you get one, it remains vulnerable and weaker in that area the rest of your life.  Even adding a mesh reinforcement does not settle the problem once and for all.

6 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Joe Horn.

47 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Not all hernia's are the same and I would disagree with anyone that says stretching does nothing for helping with prevention.

I'm referring to inquinal hernias.  Sports hernias do not have any bulging visible externally.  Otherwise, the pain is the same. Here is a statement from one article on long-term follow up.

"Sixty-six patients were available for follow at an average of 13 years after initial consultation and the combined success rate for both conservative treatment and surgery was 94%."

This means a failure rate (recurrence) of around 6%.  This is because of weakness in the area that even remains after surgical treatment.  But you are right.  Stretching the obliques could help. I was wrong about that.  Probably the best preventative is to avoid squats or other weight lifting that causes straining with increase of pressure inside the abdominal cavity.  That can be true of straining  during defecation or anything where you hold your breath and tense the abdominal muscles (valsalva maneuver).

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

I would say the likely hood of a repeat drops dramatically because the surgery sucks enough where even idiots like myself work hard to strengthen things up lol

I had my procedure done in the mid-late 90's.  Sure it's a lot less bad today.

Good deal.  Sounds like you are working hard to keep it that way.

Archived