Cuts & Players KC may have interest in?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shurmur was never going to make the 53 because they had to stash Henne on the initial roster so he could come back after being on the ir.   He’ll be Ps or be signed elsewhere.   Kinda surprised Tremon made it and Ivie over Hamilton.  Glad Attaochu made it and with only 4 cbs on the roster nobody should feel too safe.

Am I missing something?  Did Speaks flash at all this preseason?  He came in looking like a lard and is too slow to be a productive DE.  Seems like we wanted to draft Chris Jones 2.0 and what’s sad is we tried it 3 times now if you count Kpass.  He might provide solid depth one day but has all the makings of a wasted pick.  The fact we didn’t make a roster spot over a guy like Ivie should tell us all something.

44 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Shurmur was never going to make the 53 because they had to stash Henne on the initial roster so he could come back after being on the ir.   He’ll be Ps or be signed elsewhere.   Kinda surprised Tremon made it and Ivie over Hamilton.  Glad Attaochu made it and with only 4 cbs on the roster nobody should feel too safe.

More moves coming. This is not the final 53. 

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Am I missing something?  Did Speaks flash at all this preseason?  He came in looking like a lard and is too slow to be a productive DE.  Seems like we wanted to draft Chris Jones 2.0 and what’s sad is we tried it 3 times now if you count Kpass.  He might provide solid depth one day but has all the makings of a wasted pick.  The fact we didn’t make a roster spot over a guy like Ivie should tell us all something.

He didnt make the roster because when they did surgery on his knee, his mcl had more damage than they first thought. So they put him on season ending IR. I really doubt a healthy Speaks would have been cut over Ivie.

56 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

He didnt make the roster because when they did surgery on his knee, his mcl had more damage than they first thought. So they put him on season ending IR. I really doubt a healthy Speaks would have been cut over Ivie.

Sorry I didn’t articulate well enough.   I never doubted he wouldn’t make the final roster (Speaks) if healthy.  But if you are good enough you make a spot and then move him tomorrow so he can have the chance to play.   I understand their was more damage and the timeline was longer but there is a chance he could return and yet we felt Joey Ivie was more important to hold onto.  The reality is he is just not that good and there is no one who wants him to good more than I do but he’s just not.  

36 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Sorry I didn’t articulate well enough.   I never doubted he wouldn’t make the final roster (Speaks) if healthy.  But if you are good enough you make a spot and then move him tomorrow so he can have the chance to play.   I understand their was more damage and the timeline was longer but there is a chance he could return and yet we felt Joey Ivie was more important to hold onto.  The reality is he is just not that good and there is no one who wants him to good more than I do but he’s just not.  

Ivie for sixteen games may be worth more than Speaks for a few or none.  The Chiefs don't need another week to week situation going into the playoffs.  Another consideration is that Ivie is one of those on the bubble if Veach can come up with a CB.  With 10 DL, Ivie has no guarantee that he will stick.  Same with Hunter when Allen and DAT come back.  Henne will go on IR, but someone else will be gone.  As I posted earlier this week, Allen and DAT were released to help the Chiefs keep some prospects before moving them to the PS.  Today's final 53 isn't next Sunday's 53. 

“We’re certainly looking for corners, and that’s one of the positions we’ll continue to look at,” Veach said. “Right now one of the things we have is good safety depth, and we have good safety versatility. 

“One of the things we talked about was having Bashaud Breeland, Fuller and Ward. Fuller’s a guy that can play inside or outside. ... Rashad Fenton is a backup nickel. However, the Badger (Tyrann Mathieu) could play some nickel. (Jordan) Lucas has played corner in the past. (Juan) Thornhill can play some corner. So I think we’ll certainly be looking to add some corners.”

• TE Nick Keizer will rejoin the Chiefs on the practice squad. Chiefs Digest reporter Matt Derrick confirmed via Keizer’s agent Evan Brennan. Keizer joined the Chiefs in camp after the Chiefs suffered some injuries at the TE position. He performed admirably during the preseason and should provide good depth if any injuries at the position occur.
  • WR Cody Thompson will be back with the Chiefs on the practice squad. Thompson was a favorite of Chiefs fans throughout the preseason. He flashed at times and there were plenty of fans upset with his release. This should give him some more time to develop and contribute down the line in Kansas City.
  • C Jimmy Murray will return to the practice squad according to Chiefs Digest reporter Matt Derrick. He’s been on the practice squad and active roster before, so this makes some sense for the Chiefs.

The Chiefs have signed WR Jody Fortson to the practice squad, per source. Showed a lot of explosion and potential as a big.

The plan for now with Fortson is to groom him as a receiver. At 6-6, 230, he's tall for WR but light for TE. Chiefs want to keep him at wideout for now, with the option to add bulk and move to tight end if that's a better fit. Lined up outside and in Kelce's Y spot in preseason.

21 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Most often many think KC is so deep that really decent guys will get cut. Once again injuries take care of any decent depth. Doubt any of the KC cuts get signed to another teams 53.

• NOTE: The Chiefs did not claim any players on waivers and none of their waived players were claimed by other teams according to the NFL’s official transaction report. Two players who were waived with an injury designation (Michael Hunter and Felton Davis) have reverted to injured reserve.

34 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

The Chiefs have signed WR Jody Fortson to the practice squad, per source. Showed a lot of explosion and potential as a big.

The plan for now with Fortson is to groom him as a receiver. At 6-6, 230, he's tall for WR but light for TE. Chiefs want to keep him at wideout for now, with the option to add bulk and move to tight end if that's a better fit. Lined up outside and in Kelce's Y spot in preseason.

Isn't Fortson a bit slow for a WR?  Can't remember his times, but he didn't look fast on the field to me.  Guess having half a foot over the defender is a big plus. 

#Chiefs have announced 6 of 10 practice squad players: - WR Jody Fortson - TE Nick Keizer - RB Marcus Marshall - C James Murray - QB Kyle Shurmur - WR Cody Thompson The #Chiefs released LB Jeremiah Attaochu and have signed OL Jeff Allen. QB Chad Henne has been placed on IR.

VEACH: “Attaochu really played his tail off that last game and he was a guy that we had some different dialogue with. A 3-4 outside linebacker and a defensive end, I think he was a guy that really played his tail off in that last game and it was really hard to argue with the production he had.”

Attaochu certainly played his heart out in the Chiefs’ fourth preseason game, tallying a team-leading eight combined tackles, 2.0 sacks, three quarterback hits and two tackles for loss.

3 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

#Chiefs have announced 6 of 10 practice squad players: - WR Jody Fortson - TE Nick Keizer - RB Marcus Marshall - C James Murray - QB Kyle Shurmur - WR Cody Thompson The #Chiefs released LB Jeremiah Attaochu and have signed OL Jeff Allen. QB Chad Henne has been placed on IR.

No surprises there.  They'll bring back DAT next week and add CB Miller and WR Davis to the PS.  Probably Hunter as well when they need the roster space. 

Archived