Lesean McCoy is ours

I like the sighing, and when he was released, my first thought was if the Chiefs were going to go after him.  We don't even need him to be what he was, just a little of what he was, in the rotation. If he does more, that's just icing on the cake.

This is a guy, with his history, that you just sign even if you haven’t fully determined his role yet. 

He’s one of the most prolific half backs, in the top 5 or better, every year but last year, in this last decade. Where last year he was running behind a bottom tier offensive line with a rookie QB. No wonder. 

This is a free agent steal. Anything else is just sour grapes. 

19 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

This is a guy, with his history, that you just sign even if you haven’t fully determined his role yet. 

He’s one of the most prolific half backs, in the top 5 or better, every year but last year, in this last decade. Where last year he was running behind a bottom tier offensive line with a rookie QB. No wonder. 

This is a free agent steal. Anything else is just sour grapes. 

Agree. I think he ends up the #1 back by week 3.

2 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

Dumb move to jettison him. The only thing that made him a Chief is that Reid drafted him and the Chiefs could win the whole damn thing. That’s why he’s here. 

Think about Thompson. He will benefit the most from this. He gets to learn from this savvy veteran this year, not too mention from Williams as well. This means so much more to our RB group. Reid sees it as SB first / build my RB corp for years to come as he did Mahomes sitting behind Alex. Beauty of this is, Thompson will stay get a feel for the game and make plays. Now we are dynamic, and way more experienced.

2 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

Think about Thompson. He will benefit the most from this. He gets to learn from this savvy veteran this year, not too mention from Williams as well. This means so much more to our RB group. Reid sees it as SB first / build my RB corp for years to come as he did Mahomes sitting behind Alex. Beauty of this is, Thompson will stay get a feel for the game and make plays. Now we are dynamic, and way more experienced.

Definitely! I expect them all to have a role but Shady’s mentoring of Thompson is almost akin to Alex Smith doing the same thing for Mahomes like you said. People should be sold on this rb core this year and beyond. I’m even more amped for this offense and it’s potential with this guy getting some touches than before. Carlos Hyde is a good Player but McCoy is a special talent. I’m so freakin psyched 

2 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

This is a fantastic pickup. If he’s still the real slim Shady, even three ghosts of that, he’s got the best pedigree at the running back position on this team. 6 time pro bowler and 3 time all pro. In the past we watched hof caliber players go to places like New England instead and get their Super bowl opportunity. It’s the Chiefs turn now to be that destination. 

It may be that Reid will put him in on 3rd and around 5-10 yards to go, when teams will be coming in screaming toward Mahomes.  This protects Mahomes a lot, because they will be too afraid to do that if McCoy is in there. This would seem to be  a major Mahomes protector gambit as much as anything. Also, think about the clock-killing benefit when we are hanging onto a one score lead late in the game.  Scoring fast is one thing, but getting first downs has its place. Think about its effect when playing against Von MIller or Chubb.

1 minute ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It may be that Reid will put him in on 3rd and around 5-10 yards to go, when teams will be coming in screaming toward Mahomes.  This protects Mahomes a lot, because they will be too afraid to do that if McCoy is in there. This would seem to be  big Mahomes protector as much as anything.

He’s a great pass blocker too. Um, he’s a great if not legendary half back, and he’s a Chief for the foreseeable future. Every stat I see, every highlight I watch, this could be an amazing pickup, and one we look back on as the missing piece in the eleventh hour by the champion Chiefs 

15 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

He’s a great pass blocker too. Um, he’s a great if not legendary half back, and he’s a Chief for the foreseeable future. Every stat I see, every highlight I watch, this could be an amazing pickup, and one we look back on as the missing piece in the eleventh hour by the champion Chiefs 

I just cannot imagine how any team can really stop the Chiefs' offense now.

17 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

Losing Kareem Hunt sucked. I know it. But Damien Williams, even in Reid’s offense, is not McCoy. Sorry to beat this horse but we need to discuss this impact when the Lamar Hunt trophy finally comes home. 

The only problem is McCoy is 31 so there might not be much left in the tank.  Or, at least not enough to carry the load full-time.

I think they brought him on for experience/leadership.  He will be the 3rd RB used for short yardage, goal line and running out the clock situations.

7 hours ago, DieHard said:

He is easily the most talented RB on the team. I am surprised that people are not excited about this.

Because he's 31 years old and hasn't looked good the past year or so.  

I get that it's also possible the Bills have no clue what to do and am willing to give him a chance in our offense.

I just don't think he will be the #1 RB and get most of the work. 

The Chiefs want to throw the ball alot so Williams and Thompson will be used more IMO.

Those who said he looked good in 2017 and that was "only a season ago" well that's forever for a running back on the wrong side of 30.  Guys fall off of a cliff sometimes.

However, it's still a low-downside, high-upside move.  Thinking it won't bring much is one thing.  Thinking it will be actively detrimental to the team I don't get---worst case we still depend on Williams and Thompson, which is what most of us were expecting.

3 minutes ago, dksww said:

Because he's 31 years old and hasn't looked good the past year or so.  

I get that it's also possible the Bills have no clue what to do and am willing to give him a chance in our offense.

I just don't think he will be the #1 RB and get most of the work. 

The Chiefs want to throw the ball alot so Williams and Thompson will be used more IMO.

Year before last he had 1138 rushing and 448 receiving. And 5 straight pro bowls. On a pathetic team with no o line. Not too shabby in my option. Last year was the only down year. If he did that with Tyrod Taylor, what will he do with Patrick Mahomes. He rarely misses games and can do it all. 

I just think about what Marcus Allen did for us. He had no where near the production before coming and was 2 years older. McCoy may be a complete bust who has nothing left, but I don’t think so. I am just glad he is not a Charger or a Texan.

I would not be surprised if he is the #1 come playoff time.

6 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Year before last he had 1138 rushing and 448 receiving. And 5 straight pro bowls. On a pathetic team with no o line. Not too shabby in my option. Last year was the only down year. If he did that with Tyrod Taylor, what will he do with Patrick Mahomes. He rarely misses games and can do it all. 

I just think about what Marcus Allen did for us. He had no where near the production before coming and was 2 years older. McCoy may be a complete bust who has nothing left, but I don’t think so. I am just glad he is not a Charger or a Texan.

I'd like to see the boost he can provide but I doubt we ever see a time where he's taking 80% of the snaps.

Williams and Thompson bring more speed and athleticism so I still believe McCoy will be used for short yardage and end of game situations.

McCoy doesn't need to be #1 or even #2.  He needs to be insurance in case Williams or Thompson can't go.  He needs to present more options to an already many option offense.  As Bil pointed out, he needs to be a situational back who can block on third down or run or receive on third and short.  He needs to relieve Williams who has no history of being a season long featured back.  He needs to show Thompson some neat stuff.  Well worth the small risk. 

Just now, dksww said:

I'd like to see the boost he can provide but I doubt we ever see a time where he's taking 80% of the snaps.

Williams and Thompson bring more speed and athleticism so I still believe McCoy will be used for short yardage and end of game situations.

Nobody get 80% with Reid. This guy will get plenty of opportunities. I think KC is concerned Williams is fragile.

16 minutes ago, DieHard said:

As I said above, guys fall off a cliff within 2 seasons all the time, especially RBs on the wrong side of 30.  There are exceptions, like Allen.  So the likely thing is that McCoy will never be who he was, but there is a chance he can still have a productive late stage of his career.