Hill extension

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

What season altering trade is out there?  Chiefs calculated that they are saving money by doing a deal now and they probably know more about their situation than Rapoport.  It may backfire, there's no guarantees, but it's not a stupid move today. 

I’d almost agree with the guy because I still think a stud CB could happen.  What makes it laughable is he says the Chiefs would only have $15M to use......Not even Patrick Peterson would cost us $15M this year.

6 minutes ago, Balto said:

I’d almost agree with the guy because I still think a stud CB could happen.  What makes it laughable is he says the Chiefs would only have $15M to use......Not even Patrick Peterson would cost us $15M this year.

I don't understand the business side well enough.  I thought you had to be under the cap at a certain date.  How do in season trades count toward the cap situation?

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

I don't understand the business side well enough.  I thought you had to be under the cap at a certain date.  How do in season trades count toward the cap situation?

Teams have to be under the cap by the start of FA than again by Week 1.

In season trades on how it affects the cap depends on how the contract is structured.

• It’s plausible that Spagnuolo views Jones as a great luxury while on his rookie contract, but not worth the cap expense he will command on the open market next summer. Whether the Chiefs choose to extend (or franchise tag) Jones remains to be seen, but the decision to keep five d-tackles combined with the landscape of the Chiefs’ cap in 2020 seems to indicate that 2019 may be Jones’ final season in a Chiefs uniform.

• Perhaps the biggest takeaway from this roster decision is one that is not being talked about very much: Does the Chiefs’ decision to keep so many at the position indicate that Chris Jones will be the odd man out when his contract expires after this season?

A quick glance at the Chiefs’ major cap hits in 2020:

• Frank Clark $22.7 million
  • Sammy Watkins $21 million
  • Tyreek Hill TBA but expected to be between $15 and $20 million
  • Tyrann Mathieu $16.3 million
  • Eric Fisher $12 million
  • Anthony Hitchens $11.3 million
  • Mitchell Schwartz 10.8 million
  • Travis Kelce $10.4 million
  • Laurent Duvernay-Tardif $9 million
  • Eric Berry $8 million in dead money

That’s over $135 million dollars tied up in just nine players on the roster. And that’s not counting *ahem* another contract discussion on offense that is expected to end up being the biggest of them all.

Just now, FANATIC said:
  • Perhaps the biggest takeaway from this roster decision is one that is not being talked about very much: Does the Chiefs’ decision to keep so many at the position indicate that Chris Jones will be the odd man out when his contract expires after this season?

That’s over $135 million dollars tied up in just nine players on the roster. And that’s not counting *ahem* another contract discussion on offense that is expected to end up being the biggest of them all.

Watkins and Tardif way over paid next year. Likely cuts?

Um yeah I think everyone knows Watkins isn’t getting to cash I. On his last year minus a 1500 yards 12-13 TD season.   Easier to replace a RG than a wr in Andy’s system and if he doesn’t improve this year then they will both get cut.  Chris Jones will get paid and then we will wait one more year till Hutchins horrid contract is off the books.  If we keep drafting well then everything should work out great, even with Mahomes contract looming.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:
  • It’s plausible that Spagnuolo views Jones as a great luxury while on his rookie contract, but not worth the cap expense he will command on the open market next summer. Whether the Chiefs choose to extend (or franchise tag) Jones remains to be seen, but the decision to keep five d-tackles combined with the landscape of the Chiefs’ cap in 2020 seems to indicate that 2019 may be Jones’ final season in a Chiefs uniform.

Watkins and tardif off the board and you are at 105 million. Now it does depend on how Tardif does this year but Watkins with either either restructure or he gets cut. Plus what we would have also from other players gone and our cap space rolled over etc. I think we will be just fine to tag Jones or extend him

39 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Watkins and tardif off the board amd you are at 105 million. Now it does depend on how Tardif does this year but Watkins with either either restructure or he gets cut. Plus what we would have also from other players gone and our cap space rolled over etc. I think we will be just fine to tag Jones or extend him

What has Tardiff done for this team besides get his PHD in the off-season. That's why they didn't pay Morse crazy money.

1 hour ago, DefensiveMan said:

What has Tardiff done for this team besides get his PHD in the off-season. That's why they didn't pay Morse crazy money.

He had one really good half season where he was playing dominant football as against the run and the pass. And John Dorseys stupid ass paid him like a top 10 guard because of it. 

19 hours ago, FANATIC said:

The same source I read that said we were close to a deal with Tyreek, says the same thing about Jones. 

24 minutes ago, NChiefsCorner said:

We got the what goes on at his home discount.

My opinion is that didn’t matter with the numbers at all. But rather they built some precise protections from what I read into the contract which lets the team out if any of the nonsense re-emerges.  

45 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

I dont see it as a discount. less guarantee correct........ discount....Hill got top end going rate money

We got him for 2 million per season less than his open market value and that guarantee is 25 million less than Julio Jones. Certainly not cheap, but a  good value deal.  

Archived