Any updates on Mahomes' ankle?

11 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Just wondering.  I have not read anything about it so far. I'd sure like to see his mobility at 100% prior to Sunday.

He said “it’s fine, no issues” on the Chiefs radio show.  I doubt it.  But there’s no way Andy wants to tell anyone. If it was truly a high ankle sprain he won’t be nearly as mobile the next month.  I think we will see a scaled back offense like we employed the second half in Jax to protect it and him. Either way it should be obvious on Sunday if it’s truly fine. And the Oline must step up!

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He said “it’s fine, no issues” on the Chiefs radio show.  I doubt it.  But there’s no way Andy wants to tell anyone. If it was truly a high ankle sprain he won’t be nearly as mobile the next month.  I think we will see a scaled back offense like we employed the second half in Jax to protect it and him. Either way it should be obvious on Sunday if it’s truly fine. And the Oline must step up!

I never heard it was a "high ankle sprain."  That would be concerning.  But I thought the same thing as you -  Reid will never say he is perfectly fine and allow the Raiders to make a game plan based on it. Maintain some uncertainty.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I never heard it was a "high ankle sprain."  That would be concerning.  But I thought the same thing as you -  Reid will never say he is perfectly fine and allow the Raiders to make a game plan based on it. Maintain some uncertainty.

Agreed...never read anywhere that it was a " high ankle sprain." If it had been I seriously doubt he'd be playing Sunday...much less having gone back in against the Jags. HAS is not a slap tape on it and go back out there type of injury.

2 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

We will find out a bunch of info today since they practice.  I know he didn't have a boot on yesterday, which is always a good sign

Id be very surprised if the Chiefs divulge much about it. Why let Oakland game plan and tee off on a guy who doesn’t have nearly his normal mobility. Those injuries don’t just disappear overnight.  We’re gonna know where it really is most likely on game day. 

Tyreek getting a 4-6 week diagnosis today was a good thing though.  

Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs (ankle) https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/week-1-qb-injuries-mahomes-mayfield-foles/

Mahomes injury in the press is potentially being underestimated. Postgame, head coach Andy Reid said “ankle sprain” and since his quarterback finished the game, there is little attention here but there should be. By video, Mahomes suffered a left high ankle sprain. Although relatively mild, it still affected his performance. This injury is something to be watched. No amount of ankle tape can affectively stabilize a high ankle sprain. This type of injury tends to get worse with swelling in the first few days before it gets better. He is set to practice on Wednesday, but to what extent is still unknown.

He is likely to play but unlikely to be his same mobile self. Thanks to a strong arm, his not stepping into throws may not affect him as much as others but there still will be effects on accuracy. During Week 1, the Chiefs went from deeper throws to quicker, shorter passes in response to the injury. I expect this injury to hamper Mahomes throughout the month of September. Do not disregard this injury. Factor it into your decision making and balance it against his superior athleticism

10 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs (ankle) https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/week-1-qb-injuries-mahomes-mayfield-foles/

Mahomes injury in the press is potentially being underestimated. Postgame, head coach Andy Reid said “ankle sprain” and since his quarterback finished the game, there is little attention here but there should be. By video, Mahomes suffered a left high ankle sprain. Although relatively mild, it still affected his performance. This injury is something to be watched. No amount of ankle tape can affectively stabilize a high ankle sprain. This type of injury tends to get worse with swelling in the first few days before it gets better. He is set to practice on Wednesday, but to what extent is still unknown.

He is likely to play but unlikely to be his same mobile self. Thanks to a strong arm, his not stepping into throws may not affect him as much as others but there still will be effects on accuracy. During Week 1, the Chiefs went from deeper throws to quicker, shorter passes in response to the injury. I expect this injury to hamper Mahomes throughout the month of September. Do not disregard this injury. Factor it into your decision making and balance it against his superior athleticism

He threw the entire second half against Jax off of one foot and never scrambled. We completely abandoned deep passing game and went to dink and dunk. He's so dominant outside the pocket that its a big blow to the overall scheme if he can't do it. That said he's also elite in the pocket IF the oline holds up (which is very dicey at times). If I'm the Raiders I gamble that his mobility is limited and scheme as such. It's probably their only legit chance outside of a defensive implosion or a bunch of turnovers. If he can get outside the tackles, well, they weren't beating us anyway if that happens. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

During Week 1, the Chiefs went from deeper throws to quicker, shorter passes in response to the injury. I expect this injury to hamper Mahomes throughout the month of September. Do not disregard this injury. Factor it into your decision making and balance it against his superior athleticism

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

He threw the entire second half against Jax off of one foot and never scrambled. We completely abandoned deep passing game and went to dink and dunk. He's so dominant outside the pocket that its a big blow to the overall scheme if he can't do it. That said he's also elite in the pocket IF the oline holds up (which is very dicey at times). If I'm the Raiders I gamble that his mobility is limited and scheme as such. It's probably their only legit chance outside of a defensive implosion or a bunch of turnovers. If he can get outside the tackles, well, they weren't beating us anyway if that happens. 

That is what the writer of the article said.....what Hotel are we staying in?

16 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I thought he was seen jogging.  Was that a joke? Part of the "orange headed man" thing?  It would seem to me (but who the hell am I?) that the trainers on the sideline, if they suspected a high ankle sprain, would not have allowed him to continue the game.  Matt Moore was ready to go in, and the Chiefs had the lead and the whole season in front of them.  Why would they risk Mahomes for the season, when they  had 15 games left and a lead in the first game, and with huge pressure and multiple near sacks on him up to that point?  This just makes no sense to me.

He also just sprained his ankle.   A whole week can do wonders for an ankle if its not a high ankle sprain which it looks like he avoided.   He won't be complete 100% self but don't look for dinking and dunking the whole game vs the Raiders.  We will take some shots.

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

He also just sprained his ankle.   A whole week can do wonders for an ankle if its not a high ankle sprain which it looks like he avoided.   He won't be complete 100% self but don't look for dinking and dunking the whole game vs the Raiders.  We will take some shots.

Not if he can't step into the throw and drive the ball. Throwing off the back foot will cause the ball to float.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I thought he was seen jogging.  Was that a joke? Part of the "orange headed man" thing?  It would seem to me (but who the hell am I?) that the trainers on the sideline, if they suspected a high ankle sprain, would not have allowed him to continue the game.  Matt Moore was ready to go in, and the Chiefs had the lead and the whole season in front of them.  Why would they risk Mahomes for the season, when they  had 15 games left and a lead in the first game, and with huge pressure and multiple near sacks on him up to that point?  This just makes no sense to me.

I believe the score was 20-10 when he sustained the injury midway through quarter 2. He really didn't even let the medical staff look at it very long based on his comments. It said it was so hot inside that tent that he was doing whatever he could to get out of there. Said tape it up and lets go. Ironically because of the scuffle and the Myles Jack ejection he didn't miss one snap despite the fact we had the ball. 

Just saw the team warming up with some light running. Ankle heavily taped and he was clearly not moving around very well. Didn't even try to go side to side on it. JMO but expect a lot more quick passing and more Alex Smith type football for now to keep him from getting hit. Can't see even trying RPOs. 

Archived