Rolling Defense (Week 9 updated)

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

LOL, notice how the defense played back after going up 37 to 13. You posted about the rookies stats and I am just saying a good bulk of them came after the fact we were up that score.  I just went off the play by play and added up the passing stats, I did not include running etc.  Again, we were up 10-7 but did their defense stop us anytime after that? Did that efficient passing by the rookie keep them from going 3 and out? Their running game was still being stopped etc. This is why we went up by so much and my point made after doing so. If we had not let them score everyone would be screaming it was against a rookie, so you should....... he gets garbage stats and now everyone is screaming how horrible our defense was. Cant have it both ways.

Gardner completed his first 16 passes in a row. a Sixth round pick.

2nd quarter was a 10 point game

Wasn't til 2:25 in the 3rd QTR that the Chiefs pulled away. 30-13

At the half, Minshew was 7-7 for 117 yds. By the time the Chiefs pulled away he had more than half his yardage and completions.

This thing isn't getting fixed in one offseason and certainly one game. But if most of our offense in intact in January it doesn't have to be to get us a Lombardi. What we must improve on without any question is our run defense. We can't let teams bleed us to death and keep our offense off the field like last year. If we can do that, even with a VERY questionable corner group, we will be formidable in January whether we are the 1 or 6 seed. 

7 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

At the half, Minshew was 7-7 for 117 yds. By the time the Chiefs pulled away he had more than half his yardage and completions.

Let's say you are the defensive coordinator in that game.  Leonard Fournette is in the backfield of a close game and Minshew takes over at quarterback.  What would your focus be?

8 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I am sure you have been around long enough to realize that you do not change the defense with 5 min left in the 1st quarter and its a 3 pt game.

Gardner completed 13 of 14, he was one short of the passing completions for his franchise record to tie Gerrad (sp). Look at his passes those first few.

In this he had passes of 8, 20, 4 and 11 for a FG. Then 69, -2, 6, 7, 6, 5, 12, 7 1 and 0 (this one was fumbled) and out of these series they got another FG.

He has a total of 150 yards with all these completions and just 6 points.

Then end of 3rd we are up 30 to 13. We score the very first TD in the 4th and up 37 to 13. They then play off and JAX gets 2 drives of 79 yards and 75 yards for 2 TDs, which we all can say is garbage time.

After going up 30 to 13 he had -3, incomplete, 12, 35, 5, 15, int, 9, incomplete, 5, 16 and 21 yards in the next drives. He was 8 for 12 with an INT and 2 TDs for 115 yards. Not great stats even when we played off other than them getting 2 tds.

37 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

You pull your starters?

Was Tyrann out?

They played the same defense - it was 10-7 when Foles went down. 5:35 left in the 1st  QTR.

Never heard of a 3 pt game with 5 minutes left in the 1ST HALF called "garbage time" so, no, that argument doesn't fly.

He actually was out around the time kkuenn mentioned from what I remember.  I'm not sure about the other starters, but from the stands, it was something I noticed. When the Jags rookie QB was driving down the field in the 4th quarter,  Mathieu was on the sidelines, smiling and joking around with his teammates. 

7 minutes ago, qnet said:

He actually was out around the time kkuenn mentioned from what I remember.  I'm not sure about the other starters, but from the stands, it was something I noticed. When the Jags rookie QB was driving down the field in the 4th quarter,  Mathieu was on the sidelines, smiling and joking around with his teammates. 

Actually he played 50 of the 51 snaps. He was in there.

8 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Let's say you are the defensive coordinator in that game.  Leonard Fournette is in the backfield of a close game and Minshew takes over at quarterback.  What would your focus be?

They played Cover 2 primarily. What I would have done. Jax max protected.

7 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Gardner completed 13 of 14, he was one short of the passing completions for his franchise record to tie Gerrad (sp). Look at his passes those first few.

In this he had passes of 8, 20, 4 and 11 for a FG. Then 69, -2, 6, 7, 6, 5, 12, 7 1 and 0 (this one was fumbled) and out of these series they got another FG.

He has a total of 150 yards with all these completions and just 6 points.

Then end of 3rd we are up 30 to 13. We score the very first TD in the 4th and up 37 to 13. They then play off and JAX gets 2 drives of 79 yards and 75 yards for 2 TDs, which we all can say is garbage time.

After going up 30 to 13 he had -3, incomplete, 12, 35, 5, 15, int, 9, incomplete, 5, 16 and 21 yards in the next drives. He was 8 for 12 with an INT and 2 TDs for 115 yards. Not great stats even when we played off other than them getting 2 tds.

6th rd draft pick.

3 minutes ago, qnet said:

He actually was out around the time kkuen mentioned from what I remember.  I'm not sure about the other starters, but from the stands, it was something I noticed. When the Jags rookie QB was driving down the field in the 4th quarter,  Mathieu was on the sidelines, smiling and joking around with his teammates. 

Up by that much, he should be out.

9 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

All interesting but does not matter. A win is a win. Every team is one key  injury away from a strength becoming a weakness. The win it or nothing all attitude of most fans today takes away from enjoying your team and the game. The NO playoff loss and KC playoff loses are a perfect example. Brady is the greatest despite throwing a game ending pick in crunch time? You need good health and some real breaks/good luck to win it all.

For me I am enjoying watching a very competitive football team. Hopefully for years to come. Thats entertainment.

Just now, Handswarmer said:

They played Cover 2 primarily. What I would have done. Jax max protected.

6th rd draft pick...... cant win if we shut him out and everyone says oh, he was just a 6th round pick. On the other hand he got garbage stats as pointed out, almost half his yards and both TDs after game was in hand. All this with really no film on him too.

Up by that much, he should be out.  He was not though, played 50 of 51 snaps. The defense being up by that much wanted time off the clock and did so but allowed the garbage stats as I showed after being up that much.

30 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

The one snap he was out must have been the one were I saw him, because I definitely saw him.

26 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Up by that much, he should be out.

Yes, but I thought that was his whole point about garbage time, not the at the beginning of the game like you were mentioning. You've always done a good job of not directly addressing a comment someone makes, and going another direction,  LOL.   I'm not a expert debater (far from it), and talking sports rarely involves a lot of logic. The only way we (Chief fans) can win this argument is if the defense improves, over the course of the season, hopefully enough to win it all.

41 minutes ago, qnet said:

The one snap he was out must have been the one were I saw him, because I definitely saw him.

Yes, but I thought that was his whole point about garbage time, not the at the beginning of the game like you were mentioning. You've always done a good job of not directly addressing a comment someone makes, and going another direction,  LOL.   I'm not a expert debater (far from it), and talking sports rarely involves a lot of logic. The only way we (Chief fans) can win this argument is if the defense improves, over the course of the season, hopefully enough to win it all.

Fixed it for you

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

When are you guys ever going to learn to ignore Mittens.  He's turning into tiltraider, and you guys just keep feeding him!

I really don't give a damn where the defense ranks in yardage allowed.  Not one bit.  Yardage is meaningless.  Points are all that matter, and our offense is going to score a lot of points, so the defense is going to be exposed a lot due to other teams being forced to be aggressive in an attempt to keep up.  Situational stops are going to be the biggest factor in the season.  If the defense can settle in to giving up 22-23 ppg average by December (in 2018, allowing 22 ppg would've been 14th in the league) I'll feel good about our Super Bowl chances.  

4 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I really don't give a damn where the defense ranks in yardage allowed.  Not one bit.  Yardage is meaningless.  Points are all that matter, and our offense is going to score a lot of points, so the defense is going to be exposed a lot due to other teams being forced to be aggressive in an attempt to keep up.  Situational stops are going to be the biggest factor in the season.  If the defense can settle in to giving up 22-23 ppg average by December (in 2018, allowing 22 ppg would've been 14th in the league) I'll feel good about our Super Bowl chances.  

I agree. I have a broncos fan that points out yards per game and how bad we are but when teams go to the playoffs they go by ppg for ranking defenses. A job is for the offense to score more than the defense allows. If we finish 14th in the league that is huge imo for our defense and will help us tremendously towards the SB

12 minutes ago, moons314 said:

^^^^this