Rolling Defense (Week 9 updated)

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Flacco flashed the type of hodge podge play of good passes and crucial errors that you’d expect from a mediocre QB.  And when the Broncos release him after the season they will have to burn 13.5 million in Dead Cap to do it.  A guy the Ravens were laughably paying 24 million per season.  

His guaranteed money is already paid. I dont think it cost them anything if he is released.

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Agree.  I’ll bet Denver benches him for Lock at some point. Just a horrendous decision by Elway to give up a pick for that clown. 

Lock is on IR and cant return for 6 weeks into the season. This means he cant practice at all either, but can attend meetings. I doubt a rookie with no practice will heal up and be that good anytime soon after coming off IR if he does return from it.

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

His guaranteed money is already paid. I dont think it cost them anything if he is released.

Denver restructured his contract to move 17 mil from contract to signing bonus and added 2 dead years.  So basically they'll end up with dead money for several years after they inevitably cut him

7 minutes ago, xen said:

Denver restructured his contract to move 17 mil from contract to signing bonus and added 2 dead years.  So basically they'll end up with dead money for several years after they inevitably cut him

Ahh thanks. That makes me laugh knowing this.

14 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Lock is on IR and cant return for 6 weeks into the season. This means he cant practice at all either, but can attend meetings. I doubt a rookie with no practice will heal up and be that good anytime soon after coming off IR if he does return from it.

Good point. 

13 minutes ago, xen said:

Yep. CAP hits of 23 and 27 million the next two seasons. And dead cap of 13 and 10 million if they release him either year. Which is a virtual certainty. And a draft pick. It just makes no sense. They have to win this year or the entire thing is a massive bust. 

Just now, Mloe68 said:

Yep. CAP hits of 23 and 27 million the next two seasons. And dead cap of 13 and 10 million if they release him either year. Which is a virtual certainty. And a draft pick. It just makes no sense. They have to win this year or the entire thing is a massive bust. 

Are they still paying Casey, INT, Keenundrum? 

5 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Are they still paying Casey, INT, Keenundrum? 

Good point there too. Yep. 7 million in dead cap space for Keenum this year. 1.2 million of Paxton Lynch. 300k for Kevin Hogan. 139k for Brett Rypien. 32k for Chad Kelly.  You can't make this stuff up. Elway is paying EIGHT QBs this year!

8 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Good point there too. Yep. 7 million in dead cap space for Keenum this year. 1.2 million of Paxton Lynch. 300k for Kevin Hogan. 139k for Brett Rypien. 32k for Chad Kelly.  You can't make this stuff up. Elway is paying EIGHT QBs this year!

Have fun BRONCODUD........Years of pain ahead

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Don't think Lock is doing anything at all this season.  I think he was placed on IR before the final 53 was set, so there is no possibility of a return designation for him.

16 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Don't think Lock is doing anything at all this season.  I think he was placed on IR before the final 53 was set, so there is no possibility of a return designation for him.

correct

ht

The Broncos officially announced multiple roster transactions earlier this afternoon. They announced that they officially signed linebackers Corey Nelson and Keishawn Bierria to the 53-man roster while also signing corner Devontae Harris to the 53-man roster as well.

To make room for these three players, the Broncos placed rookie quarterback Drew Lock, veteran running back Theo Riddick, and oft-injured tight end Jake Butt on the injured reserve.

tps://www.milehighreport.com/2019/9/2/20844925/broncos-injured-reserve-officially-sign-three-players

8 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

correct

ht

The Broncos officially announced multiple roster transactions earlier this afternoon. They announced that they officially signed linebackers Corey Nelson and Keishawn Bierria to the 53-man roster while also signing corner Devontae Harris to the 53-man roster as well.

To make room for these three players, the Broncos placed rookie quarterback Drew Lock, veteran running back Theo Riddick, and oft-injured tight end Jake Butt on the injured reserve.

tps://www.milehighreport.com/2019/9/2/20844925/broncos-injured-reserve-officially-sign-three-players

Butt hurt? Sorry...just had to. I'll never grow up

Defensive tackle Chris Jones said that making adjustments was the key factor.

“We knew that they were going to come out fast,” Jones said. “We knew that they were going to come out with a lot of enthusiasm, playing at home. The defense made adjustments, and we found ways to stop them.”

Reid credited the depth along the defensive line, which allows them to put fresh players on the field throughout the game.

“The rotation helps,” he said. “The last two weeks, it’s been huge for us. Those guys worked their tail off. Then they go and play their behind off like that — especially those interior guys, the inside two. On a 4-3 front or a nickel front, there’s a lot of pounding going on — and those guys just kept pushing, which allows those outside guys to get the pressure that they got.”

Reid also said that pass coverage showed improvement.

“I thought our coverage was better. It was tighter, and we were able to get more pressure there. I thought that was a big thing.”

But for Jones and his defensive teammates, it’s about incremental progress.

“It is always about — for us — to progress week in and week out,” he explained. “We definitely can get better. We can get a lot better. I feel like we could have posted a shutout. That is our goal. We gave up 100-plus on the ground. We have to cut that in half. We have to watch film and correct errors.”

38 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I thought they could designate 2 to come off at a later time?

Derek Carr said that something changed after the first quarter.

“Yeah, that’s a really good defense,” he acknowledged after the game. “All of the reports going up to last week... they were up so big in that game and playing good coverages. They were playing a different style, but they bring a lot of pressures — and it’s tough, to be honest with you. Early on, we were hitting on some big time things, we were protecting, hit some shots down the field obviously. Doing that kind of thing. But the next two to three to four drives, they weren’t giving us something — or we would be just short of the first down.”

“It gets annoying when the game changes,” Carr continued. “The game plan is a little bit different, the whole setting things up, there’s a pattern. That’s just kind of the flow of the game. There was a time when we couldn’t get a first down and they jumped up on us and then that changes a whole bunch of stuff.”

48 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

You have to be on the 53 week one to be eligible for the return designation.

He was on the roster. From an article see below.

Not long after the Broncos announced their 53-man roster — well, technically 52-man roster — Denver announced that their rookie quarterback would be placed on short-term injured reserve due to his thumb injury. In other words, he is out for the first eight weeks of the season.

59 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Defensive tackle Chris Jones said that making adjustments was the key factor.

“We knew that they were going to come out fast,” Jones said. “We knew that they were going to come out with a lot of enthusiasm, playing at home. The defense made adjustments, and we found ways to stop them.”

Reid credited the depth along the defensive line, which allows them to put fresh players on the field throughout the game.

“The rotation helps,” he said. “The last two weeks, it’s been huge for us. Those guys worked their tail off. Then they go and play their behind off like that — especially those interior guys, the inside two. On a 4-3 front or a nickel front, there’s a lot of pounding going on — and those guys just kept pushing, which allows those outside guys to get the pressure that they got.”

Reid also said that pass coverage showed improvement.

“I thought our coverage was better. It was tighter, and we were able to get more pressure there. I thought that was a big thing.”

But for Jones and his defensive teammates, it’s about incremental progress.

“It is always about — for us — to progress week in and week out,” he explained. “We definitely can get better. We can get a lot better. I feel like we could have posted a shutout. That is our goal. We gave up 100-plus on the ground. We have to cut that in half. We have to watch film and correct errors.”

I noticed the rotation also, we have backups in the game a lot and making an impact.  This is huge for us so our guys, especially d-line won't wear down as the game goes on.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Not long after the Broncos announced their 53-man roster — well, technically 52-man roster — Denver announced that their rookie quarterback would be placed on short-term injured reserve due to his thumb injury. In other words, he is out for the first eight weeks of the season.

I didn't check that.  I was taking oltimers word for it on the timing. 

56 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well I stand corrected.

I don’t think Lock is that good. Reminds me more of Gabert than Daniels. I know he  had hype and went to his draft party but wasn’t surprised when he fell. I just can’t believe they spent that money on Flacco. They would have been better with the parade of mediocre that they had. I would take Keenan over Flacco. Crazy move.

14 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I saw Kpass make a great run stop on one play and a sack on another.   Crazy how fast he goes from being on the bubble to flashing some ability as a backup.

Father Time, was using K Pass wrong all along. He can't play standing up. He's got some nifty pass rushing moves and a 7'9" reach. 

So far:

Love the Okafor signing. Best FA pickup of recent years.

Kpass looks like a late 1st pick in his rookie season that's showing a lof of promise for the long run.

Clark is still questionable, he'll be good but not sure about the price yet if he cannot adjust as well.

Breeland looks like he'll get paid in 2020.

Thornhill is looking good and will be an established starter by mid season.

Wilson looks legit and could stay here beyond his contract.

Overall I think the defense will have some trouble going forward, especially when the opponents stick to the run game but the adjustments are a nice change as we aren't stuck in a singular mindset throughout the game.