Rolling Defense (Week 9 updated)

5 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

Ole Twitlock at it again. 

LOL, yeah Whitlock is hardcore and tells it like it is (or like he believes it is). He's a big Chiefs fan like all of us, and will go back and forth. Last year he predicted the Chiefs would beat the Pats in the AFCC, so maybe he feels like he got burned. 

To be honest about it, I also don't know how to feel about the Chiefs defense. It seems like they're getting better but, I don't know if that's just me wanting them to be better. It's hard for me to be objective about this team, because I want them to win so badly.

On a side note, I watched Frank Clark on a few plays. He is getting doubled teams at times. I seen one play were three much bigger Raven's players were just manhandling him, and he couldn't do anything. They were throwing him on the ground, he'd get up and they'd put him on the ground again.

36 minutes ago, qnet said:

LOL, yeah Whitlock is hardcore and tells it like it is (or like he believes it is). He's a big Chiefs fan like all of us, and will go back and forth. Last year he predicted the Chiefs would beat the Pats in the AFCC, so maybe he feels like he got burned. 

To be honest about it, I also don't know how to feel about the Chiefs defense. It seems like they're getting better but, I don't know if that's just me wanting them to be better. It's hard for me to be objective about this team, because I want them to win so badly.

On a side note, I watched Frank Clark on a few plays. He is getting doubled teams at times. I seen one play were three much bigger Raven's players were just manhandling him, and he couldn't do anything. They were throwing him on the ground, he'd get up and they'd put him on the ground again.

Well we are 14th on ppg. I like that we are keeping teams from scoring. Also the fact we shut down teams but let them creep in late with scores. Need to stop that crap and we would be even better on all aspects. Penalties are down, tackling is better and the defense adjust well in game. Give it a couple more games and i think it will be even better. Some of these top teams for yards allowed, like the Pats, have not even played anyone. Miami and the Jets....please 

KC continues to almost never turn the ball over. In fact I dont hear much conversation, among the talking heads, about turnovers. The typical the team with the least turnovers wins this game stuff. Hoping the defense starts getting their unfair share because this offense is still human and will turn it over eventually.

13 hours ago, qnet said:

You're giving Fatlock too much credit.  

He's nothing more than a professional troll, like Skip Bayless, and will take whatever opposite side he can to push his own agenda and uh, 'brand' I guess

15 hours ago, qnet said:

Tim Grunhard said his evaluation of the film shows a defense playing really hard but making a ton of mistakes especially with gap responsibility that come with so many new players in a new system.  “They just need to get comfortable and let the game slow down for them. I think they can truly become a good defense.”

Seth Keysor broke down film of Frank Clark and said he’s doing a lot of good things the stat sheet doesn’t necessarily show to help a young defense. Just not great things yet his contract sets the expectations for.  

Lets see how this develops over the season. I’ll bet as defense starts to get it, Frank makes more big plays.  

It will be interesting to see what the defense looks like once we are in a tight 4th quarter battle.  We haven't had that yet through 3 games (double digit leads going into the 4th in each) so that will really see what the new D and Spags adjustments look like.  At least we can see from glimpses it won't be the Sutton do the same thing but poorly defensive gameplan like last year...

1 minute ago, soonerborn77 said:

It will be interesting to see what the defense looks like once we are in a tight 4th quarter battle.  We haven't had that yet through 3 games (double digit leads going into the 4th in each) so that will really see what the new D and Spags adjustments look like.  At least we can see from glimpses it won't be the Sutton do the same thing but poorly defensive gameplan like last year...

It is truly enjoyable to watch you spin crap like this....your defense gave up 22 pts in the second half while the O scored 10 leading to margin of victory of 5 pts over the Ravens- AT home.

Only 6 games were decided by 5 or fewer points since Pat took over- 3 wins and 3 losses, not including the AFCCG loss by 6

but, but, but.... *GARBAGE TIME*, *Soft zone*, *Prevent Defense*.....

29 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

It is truly enjoyable to watch you spin crap like this....your defense gave up 22 pts in the second half while the O scored 10 leading to margin of victory of 5 pts over the Ravens- AT home.

Only 6 games were decided by 5 or fewer points since Pat took over- 3 wins and 3 losses, not including the AFCCG loss by 6

but, but, but.... *GARBAGE TIME*, *Soft zone*, *Prevent Defense*.....

Weird, how can you spin a 30-13 4th quarter lead?  Let's see what defines a blowout and garbage time, soft zone, prevent defense.  Oh I got one, how about when your lead is greater than what the other team has scored through 3 quarters.

6 games have been decided by 5 or fewer points since Pat took over last year, let's take a look at those

Game 1 - 42-37 win over Pitt, week 2.  The 4th Q score was 35-28, a one score game.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q

Game 2 - 27-23 win over Denver.  The 4th Q score was us down 20-13 going into the 4th.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q.

Game 3 - 43-40 loss to NE.  The 4th Q score was us down 27-26.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q.

Game 4- 54-51 loss to Rams.  The 4th Q score was us down 40-30.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q.

Game 5 - 27-24 win over the butt hurt team we just beat.  The 4th Q score was tied 17-17.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q.

Game 6 - 29-28 loss to SD.  The 4th Q score was us winning 21-14.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q.

So now let's play the one of these things isn't like the other.  In all 6 prior games where it was within 5, all of them were 1 score games if we were ahead.  Thanks for proving my point, this 5 point win isn't like the other ones because it was a BLOWOUT going into the 4th.

Take the L

47 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Weird, how can you spin a 30-13 4th quarter lead?  Let's see what defines a blowout and garbage time, soft zone, prevent defense.  Oh I got one, how about when your lead is greater than what the other team has scored through 3 quarters.

6 games have been decided by 5 or fewer points since Pat took over last year, let's take a look at those

Game 1 - 42-37 win over Pitt, week 2.  The 4th Q score was 35-28, a one score game.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q

Game 2 - 27-23 win over Denver.  The 4th Q score was us down 20-13 going into the 4th.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q.

Game 3 - 43-40 loss to NE.  The 4th Q score was us down 27-26.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q.

Game 4- 54-51 loss to Rams.  The 4th Q score was us down 40-30.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q.

Game 5 - 27-24 win over the butt hurt team we just beat.  The 4th Q score was tied 17-17.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q.

Game 6 - 29-28 loss to SD.  The 4th Q score was us winning 21-14.  Say it with me, NOT A BLOWOUT in the 4th Q.

So now let's play the one of these things isn't like the other.  In all 6 prior games where it was within 5, all of them were 1 score games if we were ahead.  Thanks for proving my point, this 5 point win isn't like the other ones because it was a BLOWOUT going into the 4th.

Take the 🎃

🤣🤣

Wow. Hands is a fan and so are we. He has taken his lumps, let it go. I mean i like we did great. I like we were able to finish it out after getting a huge lead. I did not like the fact we did not play the whole 60 minutes. Call it PTSD because i have seen us squander leads with Reid to often and make it seem better at the end of the game.

Until we got the first down to run out the clock I was pissed off. Fluke plays or not,  they still happened to us. If they had stopped us I was not feeling great with how we were playing in defense. Fluke plays like the fumble to Luck for a score or  Marriotta passing a td to himself happen to us way too often for me.

Reid does need to throttle a team imo. Done seeing this creeping up part of the scoring. This is just my honest opinion. We all saw Titans come back, Indy come back etc. I know new players, coaches etc but it still pisses me off to see a team come back on us. You think Reid would know better by now.

7 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Wow. Hands is a fan and so are we. He has taken his lumps, let it go. I mean i like we did great. I like we were able to finish it out after getting a huge lead. I did not like the fact we did not play the whole 60 minutes. Call it PTSD because i have seen us squander leads with Reid to often and make it seem better at the end of the game.

Until we got the first down to run out the clock I was pissed off. Fluke plays or not,  they still happened to us. If they had stopped us I was not feeling great with how we were playing in defense. Fluke plays like the fumble to Luck for a score or  Marriotta passing a td to himself happen to us way too often for me.

Reid does need to throttle a team imo. Done seeing this creeping up part of the scoring. This is just my honest opinion. We all saw Titans come back, Indy come back etc. I know new players, coaches etc but it still pisses me off to see a team come back on us. You think Reid would know better by now.

Agreed, I think he did start to gas it up again on the drive where Watkins had the 3rd down drop, that was the last time we threw more than we ran.  

Also this is a good chart showing how control we were of the game.  I can see us being conservative considering we didn't have Fisher on offense so no need to get Mahomes hit like he did on that first drive (we made some nice adjustments afterwards).  Our win probably to start the 4th Q was above 90%...

wp.0.png

13 minutes ago, the Warparty said:

C'mon Hands, your boys are good BUT they had to pull it out they're asses with a couple of miracle throws (and a no call that was bad)

Your team is good, but not as good as the Chiefs, deal with it.

If you think that my team is as good as the Chiefs, you are not paying attention. Chiefs Offense is light years ahead of us, or anyone else in the league. Defenses are about even.

Funny, a miracle throw last year enabled you to tie the game- how come when it happens TO you its a "Miracle" but when it happens "FOR" you, its an awesome, athletic, scrambling, playground improv that shows 'chemistry'?

Thats my point

- when its for you, certain people act like its the greatest thing in the world.

-when its against you, its a fluke, its garbage time, its prevent defense, etc.

The Roughing call was BS, the PI on the INT was BS- we can do this all day.

4 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

If you think that my team is as good as the Chiefs, you are not paying attention. Chiefs Offense is light years ahead of us, or anyone else in the league. Defenses are about even.

Funny, a miracle throw last year enabled you to tie the game- how come when it happens TO you its a "Miracle" but when it happens "FOR" you, its an awesome, athletic, scrambling, playground improv that shows 'chemistry'?

Thats my point

- when its for you, certain people act like its the greatest thing in the world.

I agree with the Bold statement above. 

34 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I agree with you mostly. This is just my theory, and I've heard it elsewhere also; but I think Reid is throttling back to help the defense rest. It's a delicate balancing act that can work or backfire. If the Chiefs can successfully run the ball, and get 1st downs while being ahead, it's a very good strategy IMO. 

For this to work, the defense absolutely has to get the other team off the field, when they get a shot. 

I think this strategy worked really well in the Raiders game. The Chiefs didn't score late, but the Raiders didn't either; and we were up by a lot by then, so it didn't matter. 

I think Reid will have to decide when this strategy isn't working, and start piling on more points. The  screen called that basically ended the game was an excellent call IMO.

22 minutes ago, qnet said:

I agree with you mostly. This is just my theory, and I've heard it elsewhere also; but I think Reid is throttling back to help the defense rest. It's a delicate balancing act that can work or backfire. If the Chiefs can successfully run the ball, and get 1st downs while being ahead, it's a very good strategy IMO. 

For this to work, the defense absolutely has to get the other team off the field, when they get a shot. 

I think this strategy worked really well in the Raiders game. The Chiefs didn't score late, but the Raiders didn't either; and we were up by a lot by then, so it didn't matter. 

I think Reid will have to decide when this strategy isn't working, and start piling on more points. The  screen called that basically ended the game was an excellent call IMO.

No i understand this. Point is you cant just run the ball if they are still scoring. I do know that a screen pass or a quick toss etc even though a pass, they use it as a running play. We are doing much better on TOP and keeping the defense fresh plus Spags rotates them out a lot too.

I love that fact the d line goes 100 mph all game. I am more or less talking about going into a softer type defense that allows yards and such. The goal is still not to allow them to score but they do.

33 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

If both teams are healthy, I'd say the Ravens' defense is well ahead of the Chiefs but not enough to offset the offense difference.  While Reid may have taken his foot off the pedal in the fourth quarter, I'm not a critical as some Chiefs' fans.  They had a three score lead and needed to protect Mahomes.  Every break except for a third down conversion with 1:51 remaining, went the Ravens' way in the fourth quarter.  Still, the Chiefs won and I never thought it would be otherwise.  Sure, the Chiefs could have failed to convert and given up the ball with 1:10 left and the Ravens needing a TD.  They still would have won 95% of the time.  Jackson isn't Elway.  Reid played it right.  The Chiefs are 3-0 and I'm not yet aware of any new critical injuries.  Now, can we move on the the Lions and put this one away?

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

No i understand this. Point is you cant just run the ball if they are still scoring. I do know that a screen pass or a quick toss etc even though a pass, they use it as a running play. We are doing much better on TOP and keeping the defense fresh plus Spags rotates them out a lot too.

I love that fact the d line goes 100 mph all game. I am more ir kess talking about going into a softer type defense that allows yards and such. The goal is still bo3t to allow them tobacore bit they do.

Yeah, I don't like that either. Hopefully what Tim Grunhard said on 810 holds true. They need to learn the defense more and stop making mental errors. 

36 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Thats my point

Huge difference. Mahomes rolled and threw a missile into Hill's gut in stride. He didn't fling a dead duck up in the air for grabs that had players standing around waiting for a jump ball. Mahomes was one of the best throws in the NFL last year. LJ's was fling and pray. One was a pass few if any could complete. The other could have been thrown by many desperate high school QBs. 

Take another look:

https://www.chiefs.com/video/can-t-miss-play-patrick-mahomes-to-tyreek-hill-fourth-down-conversion

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

Huge difference. Mahomes rolled and threw a missile into Hill's gut in stride. He didn't fling a dead duck up in the air for grabs that had players standing around waiting for a jump ball. Mahomes was one of the best throws in the NFL last year. LJ's was fling and pray. One was a pass few if any could complete. The other could have been thrown by many desperate high school QBs. 

Take another look:

https://www.chiefs.com/video/can-t-miss-play-patrick-mahomes-to-tyreek-hill-fourth-down-conversion

😂😂

I f*****ing knew it.....

Hook, Line and Sinker