Rolling Defense (Week 9 updated)

7 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

😂😂

I f*****ing knew it.....

Hook, Line and Sinker

Right. You seriously going to go with that? So you put out one of the stooopidest statements on the interwebs to see if someone is going to call you out for the stupidity of you statement? Weak stuff.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

If both teams are healthy, I'd say the Ravens' defense is well ahead of the Chiefs but not enough to offset the offense difference.  While Reid may have taken his foot off the pedal in the fourth quarter, I'm not a critical as some Chiefs' fans.  They had a three score lead and needed to protect Mahomes.  Every break except for a third down conversion with 1:51 remaining, went the Ravens' way in the fourth quarter.  Still, the Chiefs won and I never thought it would be otherwise.  Sure, the Chiefs could have failed to convert and given up the ball with 1:10 left and the Ravens needing a TD.  They still would have won 95% of the time.  Jackson isn't Elway.  Reid played it right.  The Chiefs are 3-0 and I'm not yet aware of any new critical injuries.  Now, can we move on the the Lions and put this one away?

Look Jet- you know how much respect I have for you. We have both been here since the beginning.

Only have seen two defenses that have 'contained' Mahomes and Reid- last years Ravens and last year's Pats.

i just answer the posts in here as they come- I try to post articles to spark discussion and it always goes south.

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Look Jet- you know how much respect I have for you. We have both been here since the beginning.

Only have seen two defenses that have 'contained' Mahomes and Reid- last years Ravens and last year's Pats.

i just answer the posts in here as they come- I try to post articles to spark discussion and it always goes south.

I thought last years Jags, Denver, and Cardinals did really  good jobs also. NE did the best IMO, in both games in the first half. NE scares me the most.

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

And the pats still gave up 30 plus both times ... so can you really count that?

only last years Ravens slowed him a bit 

3 hours ago, qnet said:

I thought last years Jags, Denver, and Cardinals did really  good jobs also. NE did the best IMO, in both games in the first half. NE scares me the most.

Nobody did a better job defensively against us the Mahomes era than the Cardinals last year.  We barely cracked 300 yards of total offense. And we had Kareem Hunt then as well .  Chandler Jones was completely unblock-able.  The Jags 2018 were probably second best. Fortunately both the Cardinals and Jags had terrible QB play. 

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Nobody did a better job defensively against us the Mahomes era than the Cardinals last year.  We barely cracked 300 yards of total offense. And we had Kareem Hunt then as well .  Chandler Jones was completely unblock-able.  

I just looked at the stats for that game. Mahomes was sacked 5 times, but still had a 75% completions and a 125 QB rating. I didn't remember the stats, but did remember it being one of the tougher games for the offense. What scares me more about NE is not only the defensive game plan Belichik puts together, but Tom Brady slicing up our defense.

9 minutes ago, qnet said:

I just looked at the stats for that game. Mahomes was sacked 5 times, but still had a 75% completions and a 125 QB rating. I didn't remember the stats, but did remember it being one of the tougher games for the offense. What scares me more about NE is not only the defensive game plan Belichik puts together, but Tom Brady slicing up our defense.

Yep. And despite all those points we scored late I’d say the Pats game 2 defense belongs is top 3 with those.  But indeed it’s the rush defense and clutch play by Brady and not their D that beat us. 

6 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

The Pats didn't contain the Chiefs except for the first halves.  Both games the Chiefs scored enough to win if they had a near average defense.  The Ravens did as well as anyone so I'll give them credit for holding the Chiefs to 27 points IIRC.  Your posts are interesting and probably meant to stir the pot at times.  There will always be the predictable responses from the predictable Chiefs homers.  It's a public sounding board.  No one should get their feathers ruffled if an opponents' fan gets in a few digs.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN

Im always surprised when players do not execute an obvious play based on the situation. Example: The long floater that Ward sucked on. I think it was a fourth down throw or a third and forever. All he had to do was knock the ball down. Did not need an interception there. Just knock it down. You or I could have knocked that down.

You have to wonder how anyone in high school would not know that let alone the NFL. Play based on the situation should be muscle memory. Is the guy just DUMB?

3 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Im always surprised when players do not execute an obvious play based on the situation. Example: The long floater that Ward sucked on. I think it was a fourth down throw or a third and forever. All he had to do was knock the ball down. Did not need an interception there. Just knock it down. You or I could have knocked that down.

You have to wonder how anyone in high school would not know that let alone the NFL. Play based on the situation should be muscle memory. Is the guy just DUMB?

You never want an interception on fourth down on a ball thrown down field, but I'll bet you can't find a single NFL  DB who won't go for the ball. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

You never want an interception on fourth down on a ball thrown down field, but I'll bet you can't find a single NFL  DB who won't go for the ball. 

Smart players know the situation. The Int made no difference and that reception could have cost KC the game. Chiefs need to call that out. Does not matter what the player wants. Ward is STUPID for not understanding the situation. Great teams dont put up with that type of bonehead mindset. Prior to the snap......He should have had it in his brain that on this play the goal is no PI and dont let the guy catch a jump ball.

51 minutes ago, VIChiefsFan said:

and:

The file I was trying to attach is too big.  But basically we are 29th overall in total yardage.  

2018 total yardage was 404.3 per game and 2019 is 408.5 per game.

Let's face it this defense at best will only be top 20. Teams will be playing from behind mostly and inflating stats during the regular season. The fact of the matter is will they perform down the stretch , in clutch situations, in the post-season? Not too concerning , but definitely room for improvement. Main thing is Chiefs are faster on D this year plus the swap of Spags for Father Time.  

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

To think our D was going to be effective this soon is ridiculous. It's going to take time and another offense. We aren't great, we just need to be average by January which is possible. Hurts to watch, buy at least they do make some stops and seem more aggressive than anything Sutton did. Time will tell

This is not what I would call a "young" defense.  There are a lot of highly paid veterans out there on the field.  Yes it will take time and they can really only get better, but was anybody really expecting this:

image.png.46bdc39b841f11d4fd0ca4ac87f5ef9a.png

We all have to complain about something, and the Chiefs' defense gives us plenty of targets.  The fact remains that while the defense gets squared away, the Chiefs are one of three 4-0 teams and will be well favored for the next three games in spite of the D.  One player not mentioned that made some good plays yesterday is Nnadi.  Maybe not consistent, but he did a few real good things.  Along side Jones, I'm not real concerned about the D-line.  Just gotta find a way to back them up. 

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

We all have to complain about something, and the Chiefs' defense gives us plenty of targets.  The fact remains that while the defense gets squared away, the Chiefs are one of three 4-0 teams and will be well favored for the next three games in spite of the D.  One player not mentioned that made some good plays yesterday is Nnadi.  Maybe not consistent, but he did a few real good things.  Along side Jones, I'm not real concerned about the D-line.  Just gotta find a way to back them up. 

Well you actually should be.  Not really being talked about much because of the splash plays, but after looking a lot closer to what Chris Jones is doing on every snap I am seeing the old habits coming back in.

It's going to create a huge issue in the Spring I think.  He wants AD money and he's just not an AD sort of player.

The  success or failure of the defense mostly belongs to Veach and his team.. He has made the draft choices, trades and free agents signings. Most of the defense belongs to Veach now. If they continue to improve, I think they will, he deserves much of the credit. Coaches can only work with what they are given. I think the jury is still out.