Rolling Defense (Week 9 updated)

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

We all have to complain about something, and the Chiefs' defense gives us plenty of targets.  The fact remains that while the defense gets squared away, the Chiefs are one of three 4-0 teams and will be well favored for the next three games in spite of the D.  One player not mentioned that made some good plays yesterday is Nnadi.  Maybe not consistent, but he did a few real good things.  Along side Jones, I'm not real concerned about the D-line.  Just gotta find a way to back them up. 

Agree about Nnadi

No one on the line is commanding double teams by lineman on running plays. There is always a lineman free to take on a LB. I wish Nnadi and Jones would make them pay for that. But I am not too worried about the run D. We have played some serious running attacks and they are still getting comfortable. I worry more about the pass defense in the long run.

Funny stuff we all do and say. Pick any player on defense. If someone complains about the guy others jump in with a reason its not that guy.. The dline is good? Well somebody is not. So far its one of the worse run defenses in NFL history. So Jones, Nnadi, Williams, etc. Somebody stinks big time. Linebackers?  Most must not be good. Those awful #s dont lie. I just cant...wont  point a particular guy out. I dont know who, what or why. Something smells....may be time to take out the trash.

2 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Funny stuff we all do and say. Pick any player on defense. If someone complains about the guy others jump in with a reason its not that guy.. The dline is good? Well somebody is not. So far its one of the worse run defenses in NFL history. So Jones, Nnadi, Williams, etc. Somebody stinks big time. Linebackers?  Most must not be good. Those awful #s dont lie. I just cant...wont  point a particular guy out. I dont know who, what or why. I do know it smells.

It’s never one guy. As I think you are saying. It’s the first 4 games with 6 new starters and a new system. I didn’t expect to get gashed on the ground like that, but I don’t think it’s a lost cause. Run D starts with the BFFs in the middle. 

It is a little confusing because you would think we would have more help from the DBs with a zone D. 

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

It’s never one guy. As I think you are saying. It’s the first 4 games with 6 new starters and a new system. I didn’t expect to get gashed on the ground like that, but I don’t think it’s a lost cause. Run D starts with the BFFs in the middle. 

It is a little confusing because you would think we would have more help from the DBs with a zone D. 

Yes I agree. Makes some sense. But its not all brand new stuff. These guys have been playing most their lives. System can explain some of it yet these numbers are so awful. You would think this defense was facing the KC offense every week. 

It is frustrating for most fans because I think we all feel if we can get this defense to be average then we have a really good shot at winning the Superbowl.  Last year we were so close but in the end it wasn't enough.  The team spent a lot of effort and resources on fixing the defense and so far we are no better in yards per game and marginally better in PPG. There was a lot of changes made so hopefully they will gel in a few weeks.  It would be a tragedy to see one of the greatest offenses of all time not win a Superbowl because they were teamed up with one of the worst defenses of all time. 

3 hours ago, xen said:

See I thought nnadi needs some improvement.  I watched him get entirely washed out of some run fits, but that was live.  Haven't watched any film.

Terez praised him tonight on the radio. 8 tackles from him. 

47 minutes ago, Balto said:

Week 4:

30th in Yards Allowed (31st rushing, 20th passing)

19th in Points Allowed

#1 in points scored and 19th in points allowed is a RECIPE for AWESOME SUCCESS not to mention we have not played Miami.

Points allowed is the #1 Thing that Really Matters. The rest is fantasy football fodder.

Still holding out hope they will improve, but this looks very similar to last year unfortunately. It's frustrating watching them hold a team to a respectable level stat wise during the early quarters of a game;  only to always allow an offensive explosion in the 4th quarter. 

Football is a game of skill but also of emotions. I think teams feel confident they can move the ball on the Chiefs defense, so they will try things they normally wouldn't. The Chiefs have to make them pay for taking these chances, just like other teams do. 

Just now, qnet said:

Still holding out hope they will improve, but this looks very similar to last year unfortunately. It's frustrating watching them hold a team to a respectable level stat wise during the early quarters of a game;  only to always allow an offensive explosion in the 4th quarter. 

Football is a game of skill but also of emotions. I think teams feel confident they can move the ball on the Chiefs defense, so they will try things they normally wouldn't. The Chiefs have to make them pay for taking these chances, just like other teams do. 

When teams are using all 4 downs , to catch up, its tough to stop them. See Mahomes on 4th and 8. 

9 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

When teams are using all 4 downs , to catch up, its tough to stop them. See Mahomes on 4th and 8. 

That seems to be the case, but this team has sometimes been compared to the 99 Rams. That team scored on people, but they seem to shut other teams down also. They were ranked 4th in scoring defense and 6th in yards. That team's defense was just ok the year before, but got much better their second year with the same defensive coordinator (Peter Giunta)

I think the Chiefs defense may not get better until next season.

I don't know, I just trying to understand all this. Giunta was the Rams D coordinator for their SB year when they were really good. The following year they gave up 471 points on defense under Giunta. 

It's like they caught everyone by surprise  in 99 and were able to capitalize on it. The following year everyone knew they're offense was prolific and knew they had to keep up (just my theory).

I also think Vermeil was a much better all around coach than Mike Martz. 

After getting a good look, I think I see who's the weakest link on Defense.

It's not Jones, Clark, Hitchens or any of the linebackers or DL honestly.  Or even Thornhill.  IMO it's Kendall Fuller and ghe fact nearly 83% of passes thrown his way are completed seems to back it up.

He's doing incredibly terrible in zone coverage.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:26 PM, azchief21 said:

Saw somewhere on twitter that said something like: how bad are our CBs if we're excited about Claiborne coming back?

That's a no-shitter.  I hope people aren't expecting Morris to shore up the secondary.  He has never lived up to his draft spot.

So why has special teams gone down the tubes so quickly?  Is it lack of a big return?  Penalties on every punt?  Poor decisions on bringing the ball out?  Poor coverage?  If DAT was brought back because he would be a tiger on ST, the Chiefs made a big mistake.  Maybe they miss Kemp and Harris.