Mahomes Record Pace (Week 8 avg update)

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think #25's role should be what it is today. May be he bounces back to his old self but we have decent talent in the position to actually ignore other guys. As you mentioned Williams Jr. would have been useful in some of those short yardage situations and Thompson looked like he can break some tackles. If Shady keeps up a decent form he will be the clear lead back in the playoffs but until then I think we need to utilize all guys to get an edge. 

They were keying on him - thought he was going to be the big weapon with Fisher out.  In fact, Fisher being back in would be a huge boost to him.  There were guards assigned to help with pass pro, especially with Mahomes' mobility a bit reduced.  Better to keep Mahomes in one piece than to make holes for Shady.

8 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'm going to point no fingers, but there were several on the board not long ago saying that we should get rid of DRob, that he was expendable and never has done anything.  Mahomes, of course, makes any receiver better, but DRob runs great routes, is fast, smart, has amazing hands, always manages to get some space, and is a good special teamer as well. Hmmm.  That's a lot of skills. I'd say he's a keeper.

DRob definitely looked to be ahead of Hardman on the depth chart as he seems to have a decent route tree and solid hands. However if there's a buyer I would be willing to trade him away in a month, he's a free agent after this season and once Hill comes back he'll be relegated to 4-5 targets (if not less). With the cap hell coming up we need to flip some players for picks and if he keeps up the form Robinson might be a good candidate for that (if not a higher profile guy for more picks). 

But Sunday was not a fair fight. Paper cuts can’t stand up to a howitzer, and the Raiders’ keep-every-thing-in-front defense didn’t function when the Chiefs used their speed and Mahomes’ video-game arm to simply throw it over the defense’s head.

“We had a breakdown in one coverage,” Gruden said. “But a couple of those were just incredible throws and catches… It’s a combination of a great young quarterback with a scheme that really suits him.”

But the Raiders should take solace in the fact that there’s only one Mahomes — only one Chiefs’ offense.

So while, yes, it’ll be hard to overlook that rapid-fire beatdown Sunday, it’s not outrageous to think that the Raiders — should they stay relatively healthy — can come back to the Coliseum after Halloween with two or three more wins and realistic playoff hopes in the second half of the season.

We’ve seen some quality in this team — enough to think that they’re better than last year’s 4-12 record.

Who knows? They might even be good.

Just not as good as Kansas City.

Then again, who is?

11 hours ago, KCSLC2008 said:

All your averages should be based upon 15 games because if we keep winning, he’s not going to play the last game of the year. Also, I would like to see him rest in games that we have to lead well in hand. I know that there is mixed results in those who rest their quarterback the last game, especially when wild card by week is secured, I think that we would rest him.

I’m not really being serious about you needing to average out for 15 games, I just think that that is one factor that will make it harder to reach.

But that would still be 365 “only.” He’s averaging more. And it seems sustainable.

410 per game at 15 games would put him at 6150 yards.  Don't see that happening.

13 hours ago, KCSLC2008 said:

All your averages should be based upon 15 games because if we keep winning, he’s not going to play the last game of the year. Also, I would like to see him rest in games that we have to lead well in hand. I know that there is mixed results in those who rest their quarterback the last game, especially when wild card by week is secured, I think that we would rest him.

I’m not really being serious about you needing to average out for 15 games, I just think that that is one factor that will make it harder to reach.

But that would still be 365 “only.” He’s averaging more. And it seems sustainable.

Don’t agree at all

If Pat has a chance for the record, Reid will let him play.  

11 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'm going to point no fingers, but there were several on the board not long ago saying that we should get rid of DRob, that he was expendable and never has done anything.  Mahomes, of course, makes any receiver better, but DRob runs great routes, is fast, smart, has amazing hands, always manages to get some space, and is a good special teamer as well. Hmmm.  That's a lot of skills. I'd say he's a keeper.

I think you're about 80% correct.  DRob doesn't have a history of running good routes.  Maybe he has caught on by now, but historically he has free lanced a little too much.  His highlight plays in the past have been on extended plays where the QB is running for his life.  The Chiefs certainly shouldn't release him, but if he has major trade value, it would be worth looking into.  Could Hardman have made the same catches?  Who knows but if the future is now, I'd settle for Hill, Watkins, and Hardman if Robinson could bring a LB or CB. 

14 hours ago, kcchief4lif said:

Gruden said it best.  1 TD was a blown coverage.  The rest were just Pat making amazing throws.  We are finally witnessing the kind of QB play that essentially doesn't matter who is running routes.  He willl more than likely make many guys look better than they are and really rich.

Good post. In the past we had QBs that wouldn't make those throws because the receiver was "covered". I'm not sure Mahomes ever sees covered receivers. It has to be depressing to be a DB and have a guy tightly covered when Mahomes fires a laser to a tiny space.

2 hours ago, Balto said:

Don’t agree at all

If Pat has a chance for the record, Reid will let him play.  

Let’s say he is at 5100 yards going into the game and the game is meaningless. Does that change anything. I understand if you were 5450 yards. Needing 377 yards in a meaningless game versus protecting him? It’s either irrelevant because you want him not to be rusty or you rest him because you don’t want to get injured. I don’t think the record would come into play unless he were really close.

And yes, I can understand that one can get injured by slipping in the shower. Games don’t necessarily injure you, but any individual play could, especially when it is competitive for maybe the other team? If an injury happens in that scenario, you’ve given up a lot and gained a little with play.

A little rest without rust is a good thing. That would be hard when you have a bye week (wildcats) so that might be a reason why he would play. 

4 hours ago, xen said:

410 per game at 15 games would put him at 6150 yards.  Don't see that happening.

I must have miscommunicated something. What I meant was 5477 (Record) - 820 (Yards Already) = 4,657. That number divided by 13 more games is 358. Still pretty high. If you divided by 14 games and assume he plays all 16, then that number is 333. More likely.

And this is because we belong to a team that gets leads and may have to rest sometimes in the fourth quarter. Or start running the ball a lot instead of passing. If the defense doesn’t do well, the defense could possibly be on the field too long. (Fewer possessions for the offense) (They could also be so terrible that everyone scores quickly, but I don’t think so.)

So it is clear, when I say fewer possessions by offense, I’m not comparing it to the positions of the opposing team. I’m saying for your possessions per game. If the other team is able to consistently get first downs slowly, then the clock is ran out. We could still be as dynamic and efficient offensively, but fewer possessions. 

6 hours ago, Calichief said:

Obviously 

When your left tackle is out and replaced with a hack, and your all-universe franchise QB has mobility (purposely) reduced from a sprain, all of the guards' attention along with the tackles is on pass pro.  That doesn't leave any holes for a running back, even someone with the vision of McCoy and the overall abilities of Damien Williams.  I believe that yesterday's game simply cannot be used as a measure of our running game. Once Mahomes has full mobility and Fisher is back, we will see what our running game actually is.  When you have a QB like Mahomes and great targets for him, you can put every single guy on creating an impenetrable pocket for him to pass from.  That's what they did, and it obviously was the right decision.  Shady was used merely as a threat to keep Oakland honest.

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

I think you're about 80% correct.  DRob doesn't have a history of running good routes.  Maybe he has caught on by now, but historically he has free lanced a little too much.  His highlight plays in the past have been on extended plays where the QB is running for his life.  The Chiefs certainly shouldn't release him, but if he has major trade value, it would be worth looking into.  Could Hardman have made the same catches?  Who knows but if the future is now, I'd settle for Hill, Watkins, and Hardman if Robinson could bring a LB or CB. 

I think you are about 80% on that one, because the difference with DRob is that he is big and can go up and win contested catches much more so than Hill or Hardman or even Watkins. Also, his routes looked pretty disciplined to me yesterday, but I am not much of judge on that sort of thing. Those seemed to me to be designed things, not him making himself available when everyone else is covered.

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

In Alex Smith’s 76 starts as a Chief, only 16 times (21.1%) did he throw for as many yards in the GAME as Patrick Mahomes did in the SECOND QUARTER Sunday.

What/WHO did KC end up with for Smith & Peters? Actual players not the picks?

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

In Alex Smith’s 76 starts as a Chief, only 16 times (21.1%) did he throw for as many yards in the GAME as Patrick Mahomes did in the SECOND QUARTER Sunday.

Wow, that is amazing to know. Would have put the Smith lover that was here on notice for sure. For the record I liked Smith too, I just did not have an infatuation with him.

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think you are about 80% on that one, because the difference with DRob is that he is big and can go up and win contested catches much more so than Hill or Hardman or even Watkins. Also, his routes looked pretty disciplined to me yesterday, but I am not much of judge on that sort of thing. Those seemed to me to be designed things, not him making himself available when everyone else is covered.

D Robinson getting no love. He’s the big body we need out there.