Something to keep in mind about the offense this year

This is the first year that Chiefs have had the same combo of QB/HC/OC since 2007. For Bowe this is the first time in his career that he has had that. I don't think we will see a drop in production from the offense like we have in years past. I think they will pick up where they left off and even be better. 

​Having consistency at these positions is huge and shouldn't be overlooked. Basically the only thing changing on offense is our O-Line. Which is cause for concern, but I think they will be fine. 

2007-Herm/Solari/Croyle-Huard
2008-Herm/Gailey/Thigbone-Croyle
2009-Haley/Haley/Cassel
2010-Haley/Weis/Cassel
2011-Haley/Muir/Cassel-Palko-Orton
2012-Romeo/Dabol/Cassel-Quinn
2013-Reid/Peterson/Smith

I know it helps....but how much is hard to measure. Is it leaps and bounds or a slight bump? So many factors play into making the offense click. I wonder when we look back on this upcoming season if we can say "yeah having the same coach, OC and QB for a 2nd year made a huge difference".

I know it helps....but how much is hard to measure. Is it leaps and bounds or a slight bump? So many factors play into making the offense click. I wonder when we look back on this upcoming season if we can say "yeah having the same coach, OC and QB for a 2nd year made a huge difference".

This is my thing with it though, if you look at that list that is 7 different OC in 7 years. That means all new terminology and plays for 7 straight years. This will be the first year it is same plays and terminology, not to mention the same QB. I think it can only help. 

It usually takes an offense a few weeks to start clicking, and sometime with a new system it takes the whole season. I think you saw evidence with us last year. After about week 9 we were a pretty good offensive team. 

It was reported that D Bowe has been working out with Larry Fitzgerald.

I don't know what to think about this....

w

He did that before the 2010 season also(his best year as a pro)

This is my thing with it though, if you look at that list that is 7 different OC in 7 years. That means all new terminology and plays for 7 straight years. This will be the first year it is same plays and terminology, not to mention the same QB. I think it can only help.

It usually takes an offense a few weeks to start clicking, and sometime with a new system it takes the whole season. I think you saw evidence with us last year. After about week 9 we were a pretty good offensive team.

This is what i think has been the chiefs biggest problem since the 90's. Whole team not just offense. The teams that are constant contenders have that consistency in scheme, front office and coaching. The vets become he coahes and not so much learning. Even if the wins dip this year I hope they stay the coarse.

It was reported that D Bowe has been working out with Larry Fitzgerald.

I don't know what to think about this....

w

Unless Bowe can get a hands transplant I wouldn't expect much. D Bowe is just a bonafide knucklehead. 

If the offense can build on where it left off last year, we should be pretty good. Personally, I think the o-line could be better than last year. We have guys to replace the people we lost. Asamoah was terrible and Albert was just OK. I think Fisher takes the next step and impresses this year. Stephenson has shown us that he's solid.

As far as Bowe goes, he'll be lucky to have the same production he had last year. He will be facing much better corners this year (Sherman, Peterson, Revis, Talib x 2, etc.). He won't be able to get open on those guys and Alex wouldn't throw at them anyway.

I think Avery will be better this year. He's not injured anymore.

I think we'll be better at TE with Fasano healthy. Maybe Kelce can play but, we were fine with McGrath if he can't. We don't need Kelce to work out as much as some think we do imo.

I think we'll be at least as good in the slot. It should be fairly easy to match McCluster's production imo.

If the offense can build on where it left off last year, we should be pretty good. Personally, I think the o-line could be better than last year. We have guys to replace the people we lost. Asamoah was terrible and Albert was just OK. I think Fisher takes the next step and impresses this year. Stephenson has shown us that he's solid.

As far as Bowe goes, he'll be lucky to have the same production he had last year. He will be facing much better corners this year (Sherman, Peterson, Revis, Talib x 2, etc.). He won't be able to get open on those guys and Alex wouldn't throw at them anyway.

I think we'll be better at TE with Fasano healthy. Maybe Kelce can play but, we were fine with McGrath if he can't. We don't need Kelce to work out as much as some think we do imo.

I think we'll be at least as good in the slot. It should be fairly easy to match McCluster's production imo.

My theory with Bowe/Slot/playing the top DB's

Move Bowe to the slot against those guys. We know they are all good. Most of them wont move down to the slot to guard Bowe. So why not put a guy like Jenkins or Hemmingway out there since we wont be throwing that way much anyway. Toward the end of last year you saw Bowe in the slot a lot more than normal, and especially in the Colts game, he was very effective there. I think it is a weapon we have if used correctly.

Agree with Wilkie....If the O-line comes together the Offense will be VERY strong.

Jamal Charles is the primary reason why....He is the best player in the game today other than P. Manning.

w

Move Bowe to the slot against those guys. We know they are all good. Most of them wont move down to the slot to guard Bowe. So why not put a guy like Jenkins or Hemmingway out there since we wont be throwing that way much anyway. Toward the end of last year you saw Bowe in the slot a lot more than normal, and especially in the Colts game, he was very effective there. I think it is a weapon we have if used correctly.

I was very disappointed not just with Bowe and Al's reluctance to throw to him in tight quarters last year, but Reid's lack of creativity in creating favorable match ups for him.  I agree this got better at the end of the season.  It might all be chalked up to familiarity.

The need to move him, as you said, and call more slants to capitalize on what he does well -- RAC.

Funny, Donnie Avery hasn’t been injured as much as I thought.  And he’s averaged 50 catches a season in seasons he’s played.  Not bad.  I confess I may have been a bit overly critical.

Still I’m not impressed.  He’s a one trick pony—a lesser Mike Wallace.  He’s not going to do what DeSean Jackson could do in Reid’s offense.  He’s not particularly tough.  He wouldn’t start on most teams.   He can get deep, but that’s about it.

People always seem to minimize DMC’s contributions to the team.  I attribute it to lack of forgiveness for that ghastly drop.  Eesh.  That was bad!  I don’t see anyone who has proven they can do what DMC did.  We’re assuming it can be done easily.  We’ll see if DAT, someone even smaller than DMC can fit the bill.  A.J Jenkins, Mark Harrison and Junior Hemingway are non-factors until proven otherwise.

Travis Kelce absolutely represents the only pedigreed option to improve this offense.  Fasano is a C grade TE.  Despite our affection for The Beard, he is a C- option due to his limited athleticism.  The Chiefs only added one possible skill person of note in the offseason – DAT.  Kelce has to contribute for this offense to improve or it’s going to be “Charles left, Charles right, Charles up the middle, Charles on a screen, Charles in the flat” all over again.

Agree with Wilkie....If the O-line comes together the Offense will be VERY strong.

Jamal Charles is the primary reason why....He is the best player in the game today other than P. Manning.

w

Wow!  Bold statement, but hard to argue given how much offense he accounts for in KC.  He led the team in all rushing and receiving categories.

Finally he has a coach that finally figured out he can be devastating in the passing game.  I have to give Reid credit for that.  Edwards, Haley, Crennel and their staffs had no clue how to use JC in the passing game.  I still think they should “Faulkerize” Charlie more.  Split him out and run him on deep routes, not just screens, dump offs and wheel routes.  No LB can run with him.

I think most ofl the corners will go where he goes except for Sherman. He is done at this point. Re-signing him over Albert was Dorsey's biggest mistake yet imo.

Funny, Donnie Avery hasn’t been injured as much as I thought.  And he’s averaged 50 catches a season in seasons he’s played.  Not bad.  I confess I may have been a bit overly critical.

Still I’m not impressed.  He’s a one trick pony—a lesser Mike Wallace.  He’s not going to do what DeSean Jackson could do in Reid’s offense.  He’s not particularly tough.  He wouldn’t start on most teams.   He can get deep, but that’s about it.

People always seem to minimize DMC’s contributions to the team.  I attribute it to lack of forgiveness for that ghastly drop.  Eesh.  That was bad!  I don’t see anyone who has proven they can do what DMC did.  We’re assuming it can be done easily.  We’ll see if DAT, someone even smaller than DMC can fit the bill.  A.J Jenkins, Mark Harrison and Junior Hemingway are non-factors until proven otherwise.

Travis Kelce absolutely represents the only pedigreed option to improve this offense.  Fasano is a C grade TE.  Despite our affection for The Beard, he is a C- option due to his limited athleticism.  The Chiefs only added one possible skill person of note in the offseason – DAT.  Kelce has to contribute for this offense to improve or it’s going to be “Charles left, Charles right, Charles up the middle, Charles on a screen, Charles in the flat” all over again.

I agree Avery's a lesser Mike Wallace but, he was hurt all year. Reid recently said the shoulder was a problem every week and he played through it. He'll be healthy and it's a contract year for him. I think he'll be better this year. I think he could get 1,000 yards.

I liked DMC. I'd have kept him for the right price. He never lived up to the hype coming out of Ole Miss but, I liked him. I just think we can get 53 receptions, 511 yards, and 2 TDs out of the slot. Even if it's slot receiver by committtee,

Fasano is exactly the kind of TE Reid likes in his offense. That's why they signed him. The beard is in the same mold of Fasano. Reid's offense has never included great production from TEs. It's more about being a well rounded blocker and pass catcher. I hope Kelce works out but the other guys are proven and have proven themselves to be fine fits for this offense. Too many people think Alex needs a "Vernon Davis" to lean on when that simply isn't the way it's going to be. It's not about Alex. It's about Reid's offense. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if one of those guys on the roster turns out to be a gem and a playmaking TE but, he's not going to try and force a guy into being one. He doesn't need one.

This offense was rolling at the end of last year. Especially in the skill positions.

I think most ofl the corners will go where he goes except for Sherman. He is done at this point. Re-signing him over Albert was Dorsey's biggest mistake yet imo.

I agree Avery's a lesser Mike Wallace but, he was hurt all year. Reid recently said the shoulder was a problem every week and he played through it. He'll be healthy and it's a contract year for him. I think he'll be better this year. I think he could get 1,000 yards.

I liked DMC. I'd have kept him for the right price. He never lived up to the hype coming out of Ole Miss but, I liked him. I just think we can get 53 receptions, 511 yards, and 2 TDs out of the slot. Even if it's slot receiver by committtee,

Fasano is exactly the kind of TE Reid likes in his offense. That's why they signed him. The beard is in the same mold of Fasano. Reid's offense has never included great production from TEs. It's more about being a well rounded blocker and pass catcher. I hope Kelce works out but the other guys are proven and have proven themselves to be fine fits for this offense. Too many people think Alex needs a "Vernon Davis" to lean on when that simply isn't the way it's going to be. It's not about Alex. It's about Reid's offense. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if one of those guys on the roster turns out to be a gem and a playmaking TE but, he's not going to try and force a guy into being one. He doesn't need one.

This offense was rolling at the end of last year. Especially in the skill positions.

If Andy Reid is not looking around the league and learning that his mold of TE is obsolete, the Chiefs have bigger problems than mediocre tight ends.  Reid needs to change his ways and get in the 21st century.  The Chiefs need an athletic play making TE for Al (or any QB) to play with.  If not for the reason they have little else.

BTW:  Brent Celek averaged 59 catches under Reid from 09-13.  Not too shabby.  Fasano's career best is 41,.  That's not good enough for even the most classic definition of a WCO TE.

If Andy Reid is not looking around the league and learning that his mold of TE is obsolete, the Chiefs have bigger problems than mediocre tight ends.  Reid needs to change his ways and get in the 21st century.  The Chiefs need an athletic play making TE for Al (or any QB) to play with.  If not for the reason they have little else.

BTW:  Brent Celek averaged 59 catches under Reid from 09-13.  Not too shabby.  Fasano's career best is 41,.  That's not good enough for even the most classic definition of a WCO TE.

We aren't a classic west coast offense. We run the pistol and the spread quite a bit.

What makes Reid's TE obsolete? What does the 21st century TE look like exactly? As far as TEs around the league go, I don't see much difference in the last 20 years. There are a couple of guys who will get 1,000 yards and a couple of guys who'll catch 10+ TDs. Then, there are a haandful of guys who'll catch 5-7 TDs and/or get 500 - 700 yards. The rest are pretty much blockers who catch a few balls.

Andy Reid's mold of TE is fine. Remember, Fasano missed seven games last year. TE is one of our most solid positions imo. If you add Fasano and McGrath's stats from last year, it comes to 49 receptions for 502 yards and 5 TDs. That's great production for the type of offense we are running. We don't need Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis. We need a stud WR.

We aren't a classic west coast offense. We run the pistol and the spread quite a bit.

What makes Reid's TE obsolete? What does the 21st century TE look like exactly? As far as TEs around the league go, I don't see much difference in the last 20 years. There are a couple of guys who will get 1,000 yards and a couple of guys who'll catch 10+ TDs. Then, there are a haandful of guys who'll catch 5-7 TDs and/or get 500 - 700 yards. The rest are pretty much blockers who catch a few balls.

Andy Reid's mold of TE is fine. Remember, Fasano missed seven games last year. TE is one of our most solid positions imo. If you add Fasano and McGrath's stats from last year, it comes to 49 receptions for 502 yards and 5 TDs. That's great production for the type of offense we are running. We

don't need Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis. We need a stud WR.

Both would be best, but hey, I'm greedy.

Ten years ago the only dynamic TE were Gonzo, Gates and a few others.  Now everyone's got one or is looking.  The Heath Miller types are going by way of the Do Do -- blockers who catch.  Today blocking is a bonus.  The TE must be able to run by linebackers and create size mismatches versus LB.  They must be able to stretch the field

Anthony Fasano cannot do that.  Anthony Fasano sucks.

This is what i think has been the chiefs biggest problem since the 90's. Whole team not just offense. The teams that are constant contenders have that consistency in scheme, front office and coaching. The vets become he coahes and not so much learning. Even if the wins dip this year I hope they stay the coarse.

The wins will dip because of the schedule and FA losses. But it is very hard to say whether or not that will be offset completely or only partially by the consistency now seen in this excellent coaching staff and Smith's 2nd year knowing his team.  Hopefully, he will have a TE to throw to.  Unless there is a huge injury bug, this season will be fascinating.  It could be a total fail or a very exciting season that opens everyone's eyes and includes a playoff birth.   Smith-Bowe are going to be a very tough combination, and those super fast ST return guys and small receivers we drafted just could leave some teams we have penciled in as beating us in a state of shock and surprise.  I am hoping for the latter, and never underestimate top coaching.  The FA losses will put us in the catbird seat for the next draft.  No matter what happens this year, the future looks very bright to me.  I am just intrigued about what we will see.  There will be some new stars that emerge and there will be some "hide your face" moments for sure.

Gonna be quite the show.   Will it be the flops we've seen in the past, or a competitive team that may lose and win some close ones? 

Anticipation high for sure. 

This quote by Reid is what I'm talking about on the new systems all the time.   

''We're ahead of last year, just natural progression,'' Reid said, ''and that's a good feeling. Last year, every day was a new day, and so it was a heavy workload, plus the mental part of that, the new scheme. We're quite a bit ahead.''

Archived