Ramsey

ChiefThunder

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s a huge need and we cant leave a Super Bowl caliber team so thin at corner.  Veach has to do anything reasonable to fill it.  That said a character like Ramsey is a judgement call locker room wise. That may throw him out immediately. Hard to say.  

It’s a respect thing. Spags two rings as defensive co. Who stopped Brady.

Big Red

MVPAT

Clark, Jones, Badger, kelce wouldn’t put up with it. 

I don’t think he’d be a lockeroom issue. 

He might run his mouth about other things.

hes hardly an issue off the field.

all that said, Patrick Peterson please.

23 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

NFL ready talent is found in later rounds, see Thornhill & Hardman,  so surely the 31st or 32nd choice has great potential.

It is a crap shoot. You could get a good talent but would he be able to play at the level of Ramsey? I dont think so. Even then if he did fail at the pick we would have another guy that may be solid but nothing special and a 'bust' from where he was picked at. So you mention thornhill and hardman..... well we would have later round picks too and be able to get guys like this in those respective rounds. Thus making us even better in the long run. You can look at this from many different angles.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

It is a crap shoot. You could get a good talent but would he be able to play at the level of Ramsey? I dont think so. Even then if he did fail at the pick we would have another guy that may be solid but nothing special and a 'bust' from where he was picked at. So you mention thornhill and hardman..... well we would have later round picks too and be able to get guys like this in those respective rounds. Thus making us even better in the long run. You can look at this from many different angles.

If he was a free agent OK maybe you give him the big bucks? Giving up top picks and another huge contract could turn Mahomes career into a Rivers career. Clark got an insane deal and KC included a first & second. Crazy move. Keep making those moves and this season will be the only shot for years to come.

29 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

That was a whole team of FA , not one key player or an area addressed on the team etc. I am all for Ramsey but i dont want to over pay badly either. We wont find NFL ready talent at the end if the 1st round. We can get immediate help and upgrade now. We have the cap space now.  I will say though i want Jones too so if it cane down to Jones or Ramsey, i will go with Jones. If Veach can sign both and go forward we will be a young group locked up for a long time.

Unfortunately going for a rental guy only works if he brings in the SB right away. However we don't really have the cash as advertised. We have some deals like Hill or Clark that will kick in later that will eat a big chunk. Trading for a 2nd year guy would make sense but someone who's about to get paid is just way too much in a capped environment. Ramsey would be the next Clark in that sense.

We need the high picks to actually replace the guys that will leave in FA since we will be in cap hell within a couple years with the way we are bringing in FAs. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

And if we don't win the SB it'll take a few years to recover. Just ask Reid what happened the last time he wanted to "buy" a SB. 

Reid actually had nothing to do with all of that..It was the GM/Owner 

Regardless how would this set us back and have to recover?  Please explain 

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

HMMM. Brady at 32 million seems about right for when it was given. The rest of the story is not many other guys getting huge contracts. They repeat because they dont overpay and dont trade draft capital and then overpay that player. Chiefs already way over paid with Picks & Millions for Clark.

Tom Brady QB $1,750,000 $13,750,000 $1,000,000 - - $5,000,000 - ($32,250,000) $21,500,000 10.73
Devin McCourty FS $9,000,000 $3,000,000 $500,000 - - $935,000 - ($3,935,000) $13,435,000 6.70
Dont'a Hightower OLB $7,000,000 $2,500,000 $820,305 - - - $625,000 ($7,000,000) $10,945,305 5.46
Stephon Gilmore CB $1,000,000 $3,600,000 $500,000 - - $4,070,833 - ($24,012,502) $9,170,833 4.58
Shaq Mason G $4,000,000 $2,400,000 $875,000 - - - - ($18,600,000) $7,275,000 3.63
Michael Bennett DE $3,000,000 $2,000,000 $1,500,000 - - - - ($4,000,000) $6,500,000 3.24
Kyle Van Noy ILB $4,250,000 $1,166,668 $500,000 - - - $375,000 ($1,166,668) $6,291,668 3.14
Julian Edelman WR $1,000,000 $4,202,616 $375,000 - $500,000 - - ($14,335,949) $6,077,615 3.03
Antonio Brown WR $1,062,500 $4,500,000 $500,000 - - - - ($10,000,000) $6,062,500 3.03
M

Pats have traded away 1st round draft picks as of late and would of done so with AB if Steelers would of done it.  

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

NFL ready talent is found in later rounds, see Thornhill & Hardman,  so surely the 31st or 32nd choice has great potential.

Sure it does BUT can you guarantee me it will have Jalen Ramsey talent?  Or they wont be a bust?  YES talent can be found in later rounds but the odds are it wont be found.

Just tossing this trade out there...

Jalen Ramsey for Chris Jones

1. Would the Chiefs do it?

2. Would the Jaguars do it?

Jones becomes a FA after this year, Ramsey becomes a FA in 2021 after getting $13M in 2020.  Both are going to get some serious $$$ in their next contract - Ramsey estimated at 6/90M and Jones at 5/90M.

48 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

If he was a free agent OK maybe you give him the big bucks? Giving up top picks and another huge contract could turn Mahomes career into a Rivers career. Clark got an insane deal and KC included a first & second. Crazy move. Keep making those moves and this season will be the only shot for years to come.

I just don't agree.  

It sounds like you don't like the Clark deal?

Why would trading for Ramsey and paying him make this year our only shot at a Super Bowl?  We have the cap space to make it work.  Why take a chance on a late 1st rounder when you can have the best at that position in the NFL?

2 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Jones becomes a FA after this year, Ramsey becomes a FA in 2021 after getting $13M in 2020.  Both are going to get some serious $$$ in their next contract - Ramsey estimated at 6/90M and Jones at 5/90M.

I rather have Jones. I dont mind bringing in Ramsey for the right price, but I stated before if it comes down to one or the other, Jones is it for me.

3 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Yup I think a 6 year for $90M is about right for Ramsey and makes him the highest paid Corner by a good margin.  That would AVG out to about $15M a year but Veach could also throw $20M signing bonus at him and bring his cap hit down to around $11M a year.  Could always back load it and have this be a 3-4 year contract and then cut bait

Or even give Jones a new contract with a Huge signing bonus.

And nah I'd keep Jones and trade for Ramsey.

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

Big Red

MVPAT

OF course you can tell I;m all in on Ramsey but I also would rather have Peterson if he came cheaper.  I still think Peterson is a top 3 CB in the NFL even if the steroids worry me a little.

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

Big Red

MVPAT

Again that's a judgement call based on a lot of research. Every situation is different. For the record I all but heard Brett Veach say he never would have drafted Marcus Peters. Peters got thrown off the team for attacking a coach. And then he got into a fight here on the team bus with Dave Toub. Ramsey is in the news a lot which won't scare off Andy Reid, but how's he impacting the Jags locker room. We don't know that. It matters. Maybe Veach and Andy see it as no big deal. No idea. I know one thing, Ramsey is an elite corner. 

10 hours ago, moons314 said:

Peterson I’d take, for the right price. Ramsey, being younger, is going to be steeper.  Why would you be in favor of mortgaging draft capital for a player that we’d be stupid to extend because of the money he wants, the contracts we just gave out, and the massive contract pending for Mahomes?  Long term for the franchise it would be much better to turn that top pick into a corner we have under control and on the cheap. 

The Cardinals do not want to trade Patrick Peterson.  Their asking a price so high that the Chiefs would be nuts to entertain it.  They've rejected the Chiefs multiple times in the last year.  Without a change of heart that entire thing is dead and it's time to move on.

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Reid actually had nothing to do with all of that..It was the GM/Owner 

Regardless how would this set us back and have to recover?  Please explain 

We have minimal cap space, adding on over the years will mean letting guys leave as soon as 2021 (if not sooner). In the mean time we are trading away draft picks to acquire the guys we are paying, hence no means to find decent cheap guys to make up for those that have to leave. 

18 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Ramsey no thanks. Another Marcus Peters type not worth the headache. Marone is a moron though. Most mediocre crap coach since Jeff Fisher.

Agree +100   

Ramesey is a PUNK! Anyone who laughs at another team or players in a press conference is NOT the character needed on a "team"

Talent yes, but enough hubris to not make him effective. see our game against him and see Marcus Peters and his play.

NO WAY!

43 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Ramsey is a man cover guy- he is disgruntled because he is being asked to play zone alot. He wants to be the man- the shut down dog....Prime Time

Spags plays a lot of zone.

= not a good fit

Spagnuolo plays a mix of zone and man to man.  With a trade like that, you look him on the best WR man to man and zone on the other side.  This isn't a hard thing to figure out.

I don't see it happening, we need a CB, but there's no way we can sign him to be the highest paid CB in the league which he will demand. We are going to need those controlled years we get from the draft. Short term it would be great, long term won't make sense.  I'd stand pat and see what else becomes available these next few weeks.

33 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Spagnuolo plays a mix of zone and man to man.  With a trade like that, you look him on the best WR man to man and zone on the other side.  This isn't a hard thing to figure out.

Yup and it even seemed this past week Spags ran a bunch of "Zone on one side, Man on the other".