Ramsey

ChiefThunder

7 minutes ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

I am not sure if he fits. He is reportedly asking to be traded because he is a press man coverage corner playing in a zone scheme, so why would the Chiefs be a good fit other then the fact that they have Patrick Mahomes and it gives every NFL player a better chance at a super Bowl win.

Because Spags plays a good amount of both zone and man but goes with players strengths instead of doing what ever he wants regardless of a players skills like old man Sutton use to do.

12 minutes ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

I am not sure if he fits. He is reportedly asking to be traded because he is a press man coverage corner playing in a zone scheme, so why would the Chiefs be a good fit other then the fact that they have Patrick Mahomes and it gives every NFL player a better chance at a super Bowl win.

I wouldn't worry about fit so much with a player like that.  You can always play a split coverage and just let him shadow the other teams #1.  

Say they did the deal- 2 each #1's for Ramsey plus an extension of $16 mill per year.....

How does that affect the salary cap?

How does that affect Mahomes deal?

How does it affect the team going forward:

- zero #1's in the next 2 drafts

-drafting late in the 2nd rd consecutively  *assuming continued success with post season success*

-potentially losing players due to salary cap restrictions

8 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Say they did the deal- 2 each #1's for Ramsey plus an extension of $16 mill per year.....

How does that affect the salary cap?  Veach has $22M to send a large signing bonus his way to greatly reduce the annual cap hit.  Or back load it and be out of it in 3 years

How does that affect Mahomes deal?  Does not affect it at all.  ZERO 

How does it affect the team going forward:  I'd think this would mean that Watkins needs cut/restructured but that was gonna happen anyways.  Fuller wont get overpaid by KC

- zero #1's in the next 2 drafts  These are not 100% BOOM picks and can easily be BUST picks instead.  Ramsey is a sure thing!  Also....Two 1st?  Not even I would be on board for that

-drafting late in the 2nd rd consecutively  *assuming continued success with post season success*  Can be done!  Pats have made a living on trading low round 1st for multiple 2nd rounders.  Not worried about this

-potentially losing players due to salary cap restrictions  yes we could lose guys like Fuller or such that want overpaid but I don't see any issues

9 minutes ago, xen said:

I would be ok with a 1 and a 3.  You could recoup the 3 if you let him walk.  Stick him on AB like glue in the AFCCG.  

Watched this guy just shut down Hopkins.  Didnt think that was possible.

Sounds exactly what I'm thinking.  1st and 3rd seems like a steal and is what I hope gets it done.

I will say I'm surprised the reports are saying Friday AFTER the Jags play on Thursday.  Knowing our luck/history I'm sure Ramsey will break his leg Thursday night errrr

1 minute ago, Balto said:

Sounds exactly what I'm thinking.  1st and 3rd seems like a steal and is what I hope gets it done.

I will say I'm surprised the reports are saying Friday AFTER the Jags play on Thursday.  Knowing our luck/history I'm sure Ramsey will break his leg Thursday night errrr

Are the Chiefs even interested though? We do have the 2nd rounder from SF for Dee Ford. 

14 minutes ago, xen said:

I would be ok with a 1 and a 3.  You could recoup the 3 if you let him walk.  Stick him on AB like glue in the AFCCG.  

Watched this guy just shut down Hopkins.  Didnt think that was possible.

Hopkins ate his lunch last December 16 targets 12 receptions 147 yds 0 TD 43 longest

Veach and the Chiefs wouldn't go after him if they didn't believe he could help this team. So worrying about how he fits is a wasted effort. They get him they will have a plan on how to use him. I've kinda been coming around to the idea that this all could work.

If the Chiefs are serious about winning a championship, then they need to be exhausting all options to acquire Jalen Ramsey.

CB is the biggest hole on the team.

Draft picks are a roll of the dice, especially drafting at the end of each round.

Ramsey can lock down one side of the field and the rest of our secondary will benefit immensely.

The Chiefs did everything they could to try and land Fitzpatrick from MIA, so I suspect they will do the same for Ramsey.

2 hours ago, xen said:

I wouldn't worry about fit so much with a player like that.  You can always play a split coverage and just let him shadow the other teams #1.  

2 hours ago, Balto said:

Because Spags plays a good amount of both zone and man but goes with players strengths instead of doing what ever he wants regardless of a players skills like old man Sutton use to do.

31 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Veach and the Chiefs wouldn't go after him if they didn't believe he could help this team. So worrying about how he fits is a wasted effort. They get him they will have a plan on how to use him. I've kinda been coming around to the idea that this all could work.

Good points, all of you. Thanks. dhitter, I usually just trust the brass to make the right decision. They get paid the big bucks for a reason. That said, not all of their moves have panned out, and not all will pan out. So I always just hope that the move makes sense when they make it and what happens, happens.

5 minutes ago, Balto said:

Nothing will hurt worse than Passing on Ramsey and then in the AFC Championship game Brady hits AB for the game winner that someone got burned on!  Everyone will say we should of traded 3 1st rounders if it meant that play not happening......Just Saying

I agreee.

8 minutes ago, Balto said:

Nothing will hurt worse than Passing on Ramsey and then in the AFC Championship game Brady hits AB for the game winner that someone got burned on!  Everyone will say we should of traded 3 1st rounders if it meant that play not happening......Just Saying

Winning it all takes some luck too. Ask New Orleans. I think it would hurt more to put the team in a position of cap hell & no picks for young cheaper talent. You turn Mahomes into a career like Rivers and to some extent Rogers/Marino. It would hurt more to have a lousy team for years with a great QB. It would hurt more to see Mahomes hurt on that lousy team. The Clark deal already puts this team in a what the hell-------go for it at any cost world. Another deal like that could be catastrophic.

38 minutes ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

Good points, all of you. Thanks. dhitter, I usually just trust the brass to make the right decision. They get paid the big bucks for a reason. That said, not all of their moves have panned out, and not all will pan out. So I always just hope that the move makes sense when they make it and what happens, happens.

That's fair but could be said about every team in the NFL...with the exception of maybe the Patriots. 😲

9 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Winning it all takes some luck too. Ask New Orleans. I think it would hurt more to put the team in a position of cap hell & no picks for young cheaper talent. You turn Mahomes into a career like Rivers and to some extent Rogers/Marino. It would hurt more to have a lousy team for years with a great QB. It would hurt more to see Mahomes hurt on that lousy team.

So how do you propose we upgrade at CB? This year? Drafting a first round CB next April wont help us in February. Morris Claiborne, is in the same mold as Fuller, and Breeland. They are solid guys but nowhere close to shutdown guys  So if the secondary struggles (and it will), how do you legitimately upgrade so you can make a run at a SB this year? 

Do you just say "fuck it, I guess we are screwed." Or do you go get the best CB in football, win a SB, and worry about the salary cap during the offseason when it should be addressed anyway.

You like to give Veach a hard time about missing on defensive draft picks. And he has. So wouldnt it make more sense to get a guy who is elite and may not have even peaked yet, instead of taking a chance on a missed pick in rd 1? They arent getting a Jalen Ramsey talent at the end of rd 1anyway. 

1 thing Veach HAS proven to be very good at so far is handling the cap. So why not trust him where he has shown chops?

Jones, Mahomes and Ramsey will be 3 very big contracts. But we will also be moving on from some big ones too. Watkins is a possibility. Hitchens is a probability. 

Both sides of the argument have merit.

16 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

So how do you propose we upgrade at CB? This year? Drafting a first round CB next April wont help us in February. Morris Claiborne, is in the same mold as Fuller, and Breeland. They are solid guys but nowhere close to shutdown guys  So if the secondary struggles (and it will), how do you legitimately upgrade so you can make a run at a SB this year? 

Do you just say "fuck it, I guess we are screwed." Or do you go get the best CB in football, win a SB, and worry about the salary cap during the offseason when it should be addressed anyway.

You like to give Veach a hard time about missing on defensive draft picks. And he has. So wouldnt it make more sense to get a guy who is elite and may not have even peaked yet, instead of taking a chance on a missed pick in rd 1? They arent getting a Jalen Ramsey talent at the end of rd 1anyway. 

1 thing Veach HAS proven to be very good at so far is handling the cap. So why not trust him where he has shown chops?

Jones, Mahomes and Ramsey will be 3 very big contracts. But we will also be moving on from some big ones too. Watkins is a possibility. Hitchens is a probability. 

Both sides of the argument have merit.

I dont think any team is perfect. I know every team is one key injury away from a big issue at any position. So I dont think you mortgage the future for one guy that may get you a title. You get Ramsey and say he gets hurt or Mahomes pulls a muscle during a playoff game or you get a really bad non penalty call? Getting Ramsey is no guarantee of anything but CAP HELL and less high draft picks. I dont think Veach has missed on his picks. Hardman & Thornhill are good choices. We dont know how the cap is working out yet. Too early to know for sure. When you pay huge contracts to players outside the team you are telling the current players that they too can show up in a brinks truck or demand a trade or hold out. Jones came in to play. Maybe he should have arrived in a brinks truck.

Oh by the Way. The odds makers dont think its fuck it KC is screwed. This team can and may win it all.

28 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

I dont think any team is perfect. I know every team is one key injury away from a big issue at any position. So I dont think you mortgage the future for one guy that may get you a title. You get Ramsey and say he gets hurt or Mahomes pulls a muscle during a playoff game or you get a really bad non penalty call? Getting Ramsey is no guarantee of anything but CAP HELL and less high draft picks. I dont think Veach has missed on his picks. Hardman & Thornhill are good choices. We dont know how the cap is working out yet. Too early to know for sure. When you pay huge contracts to players outside the team you are telling the current players that they too can show up in a brinks truck or demand a trade or hold out. Jones came in to play. Maybe he should have arrived in a brinks truck.

Oh by the Way. The odds makers dont think its fuck it KC is screwed. This team can and may win it all.

No 1st round pick is guaranteed to work either. I dont see where people are talking cap hell. We have 22 million this year and could trade for him and give him all up front and thus make the last few years cap hits very small. We go into next year doing cuts we all can see coming with Watkins, Sorensen and such and use that money for Jones and others. We also pick up Mahomes 5th year and extend him in season with cap hit down a bit until Ramsey is paid and Mahomes hits take his place. All of this and you still would have a 2nd round pick, a possible 3rd round comp pick etc after giving up say a 1st and 3rd for Ramsey and his elite CB play. I just dont get how you can say one big injury away and not take into that then one big draft bust away or a CB not available worthy of a pick at the end of the 1st round etc.