liquidfriend

Trades:

Chiefs send a 1 and 2021 3rd to the Jags for CB Jalen Ramsey in mid 2019 season.  After the season they send him to the San Francisco 49ers for a 1 and 2021 3rd rounder.

Sammy Watkins to the Miami Dolphins for a 2nd round pick - The Dolphins will need some targets for whoever is at QB and they've got more cap space and picks than sense.  The Miami heat will be good for his shitty feet. 

Cut:

Sorensen, Erving, Williams and Reiter

Retire

Colquitt

Tag:

DT Chris Jones (franchise)

Re-sign:

Ogbah, Lee, Sherm

Draft:

1.  C.J. Henderson, CB  Florida

CB is finally addressed with a long term solution.

2.  Nick Harris, C  Washington

I think there will be a real attempt to rehaul the line in the offseason.

2.  Solomon Kindley  OG  Georgia

More of the same. 

3. Kristian Fulton, CB  LSU

They're absolutely doubling down at corner in the draft.

4.Cam Akers, RB  Florida State

I think they're going to look for a younger workhorse backfield that's also cheaper.  The other Williams, Thompson and Akers will carry the load.  Having the stench of Florida State on him will hurt his stock.

5. Johnathon Johnson, WR  Missouri

The Chiefs will refill the back end of the depth chart at some point.

5. Brandon Fritts, TE  North Carolina

Look, a TE finally. (Projected comp choice)

6.  Brian Lewerke, QB  Michigan State

Hennewagon will be gone, Matt Moore will be gone and none of the other QB's are worth bringing back IMO

7.  (To Miami from prior trade)

• 4 weeks later...

Cut:

Sorensen, Erving, Damien Williams, Reiter

Tag and Trade:

Chris Jones to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2020 first, 2021 fourth

Jones really doesn't seem like a fit in Spagnuolo's 1984 Defense and would have a better impact somewhere where he'd be properly used.  He would be properly used in Tampa.

Sammy Watkins to the Tennessee Titans for a 3rd round pick

Unfortunately for the Chiefs, Sammy got another case of brokedick-a-titis and won't get them a max value return.  On the flipside, the Titans can't draft a WR for shit and they need some guys that can help whoever will be playing QB for them in 2020 (longshot option: Phillip Rivers).

The Chiefs have been prepping for this moment since they drafted Hardman.

Re-sign:

Ogbah

Sign:

RB Giovanni Bernard 1 yr, 3m max value - This is a chance for Bernard to rebuild his stock on an Offense that isn't horrible

WR Albert Wilson 1yr,2m - The Miami Dolphins are absolutely cutting Albert Wilson in the winter.  Due nearly 11m with a minimal cap hit for cutting.  He can rehab his image with Pat again for a year to sucker another team come 2021.

CB Ronald Darby 2yr,11m - They grab Darby for a short term answer at the #2 spot.

Note: There isn't a Pat Mahomes extension here for a reason.  Just don't see a reason to do it now when he still has this year, his 5th year option and 2 tag years.  Would wait one more year before breaking the bank for him IMO.  He's going to cost a shitload of money regardless of when the extension is complete.

Draft

1.  C.J. Henderson, CB  Florida

After being denied for so long, I don't think Veach is going to be denied any longer here. 

1.  Tyler Biadasz, C  Wisconsin

Andy is going to grab someone that will pair with Pat for a long, long time.

2.  Marvin Wilson, DT  Florida State

Versatile.  Can play inside or out.  Can 2-gap or shoot the gap.  A lot to work with here IMO.  Strong motor. 

3.  Alex Leatherwood, OG  Alabama

A better option at Guard than tackle, but is versatile enough to go outside in an emergency.  Should be a long term fixture they've been needing at LG.

3.  Joe Bachie, ILB  Michigan State

A tough run Defender that is a capable player in coverage.  Time to bring some attitude up front.

4.  Jared Pinkey, TE  Vanderbilt

Had a monster 2018 campaign, but is in a major slump in 2019.  The entire team is slumping though, so I'd take the gamble.

5.  Keandre Jones, LB  Maryland

Gonna need a plan B when Hitchens continues to suck.

6.  DeMarcus Acy, CB  Missouri

Could be an option in the slot

7.  Larry Rountree, RB  Missouri

A tough, physical runner that will get you the necessary yardage.

• 1 month later...

Cut:

Sorensen, Erving, Damien Williams

Anthony Hitchens (Post June 1st cut)

Tag and Trade:

Chris Jones and 2022 4th rounder to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2020 first, 2021 third, 2022 3rd

Still like this trade possibility.  I think the Bucs will be looking to win now in 2020 with Brees likely gone, the Falcons in the toilet and the Panthers aren't too big of a presence.  Chris Jones as a fit with Shaq Barrett would be a huge boost for the Bucs Defense.

Trade:

Sammy Watkins to the Miami Dolphins for a 4th rounder

The Dolphins will want a veteran guy that can rack up some YAC for whatever QB they draft.

Sign:

RB Giovanni Bernard 1 yr, 3m max value - This is a chance for Bernard to rebuild his stock on an Offense that isn't horrible

WR Albert Wilson 3yr,12m max value - The Miami Dolphins are absolutely cutting Albert Wilson in the winter.  Due nearly 11m with a minimal cap hit for cutting. 

OL Mike Remmers min - Replacement for Erving. 

QB Marcus Mariota 2yr/8m - Rehab project

TE Tyler Eifert 1yr/3.7m - Upgrade the depth chart

Re-sign:

Wisniewski, Pennell to minimum type deals. 

1.  Trevon Diggs, CB  Alabama

(Chiefs trade the first round pick from the Buccaneers to the Tennessee Titans for a 1+3.  Titans leap in front of the Broncos to take the last first round caliber QB)

The Chiefs are going to be locked in on a Cornerback since they'll have only 2 on the roster come Spring. 

1.  Javon Kinlaw, DT  South Carolina

While Chris Jones is an exceptional pass-rusher, I don't think he's ever going to bend his style enough to fit with what Daly wants from his DL.  Kinlaw has the same pass-rushing flashes like Jones, but won't be stuck in his ways.

2.  J.K. Dobbins, RB  Ohio State

While Cam Erving being shitty is most of the problem, I don't think the corpse of Shady McCoy and Damien Williams are gonna get it done.  Chiefs finally put an end to the flop on the couch approach to the RB position with a talented back.

3.  Yasir Durant, OT  Missouri

The Chiefs are going to need to start looking at the tackle situation before long.  Fisher and Schwartz will both be UFA's after 2021 and with the Pat Mahomes extension looming, they simply can't afford to keep them both.  Taking a guy in a deep tackle draft lets the young player grow into a starting role and they can play him at one of the Guard positions right away to boost the line. 

3.  Joe Bachie, LB  Michigan State

The Chiefs have had the saddest sack of shit at LB all year long.  I would have had them taking a Linebacker higher but Spagnuolo doesn't value the spot very highly for whatever reason.

The Chiefs TE depth chart has been real dire this year.

4.  Jon Runyan Jr, OL  Michigan

I don't think Andy would pass up the chance to get another Runyan.

5.  Tony Pride, CB  Notre Dame

I think they'll need to double up here because of the lack of corners on the roster.

18 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Cut:

Sorensen, Erving, Damien Williams

Anthony Hitchens (Post June 1st cut)

Tag and Trade:

Chris Jones and 2022 4th rounder to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2020 first, 2021 third, 2022 3rd

Still like this trade possibility.  I think the Bucs will be looking to win now in 2020 with Brees likely gone, the Falcons in the toilet and the Panthers aren't too big of a presence.  Chris Jones as a fit with Shaq Barrett would be a huge boost for the Bucs Defense.

Trade:

Sammy Watkins to the Miami Dolphins for a 4th rounder

The Dolphins will want a veteran guy that can rack up some YAC for whatever QB they draft.

Sign:

WR Albert Wilson 3yr,12m max value - The Miami Dolphins are absolutely cutting Albert Wilson in the winter.  Due nearly 11m with a minimal cap hit for cutting. 

OL Mike Remmers min - Replacement for Erving. 

QB Marcus Mariota 2yr/8m - Rehab project

TE Tyler Eifert 1yr/3.7m - Upgrade the depth chart

Re-sign:

Wisniewski, Pennell to minimum type deals. 

1.  Trevon Diggs, CB  Alabama

(Chiefs trade the first round pick from the Buccaneers to the Tennessee Titans for a 1+3.  Titans leap in front of the Broncos to take the last first round caliber QB)

The Chiefs are going to be locked in on a Cornerback since they'll have only 2 on the roster come Spring. 

1.  Javon Kinlaw, DT  South Carolina

While Chris Jones is an exceptional pass-rusher, I don't think he's ever going to bend his style enough to fit with what Daly wants from his DL.  Kinlaw has the same pass-rushing flashes like Jones, but won't be stuck in his ways.

2.  J.K. Dobbins, RB  Ohio State

While Cam Erving being shitty is most of the problem, I don't think the corpse of Shady McCoy and Damien Williams are gonna get it done.  Chiefs finally put an end to the flop on the couch approach to the RB position with a talented back.

3.  Yasir Durant, OT  Missouri

The Chiefs are going to need to start looking at the tackle situation before long.  Fisher and Schwartz will both be UFA's after 2021 and with the Pat Mahomes extension looming, they simply can't afford to keep them both.  Taking a guy in a deep tackle draft lets the young player grow into a starting role and they can play him at one of the Guard positions right away to boost the line. 

3.  Joe Bachie, LB  Michigan State

The Chiefs have had the saddest sack of shit at LB all year long.  I would have had them taking a Linebacker higher but Spagnuolo doesn't value the spot very highly for whatever reason.

The Chiefs TE depth chart has been real dire this year.

4.  Jon Runyan Jr, OL  Michigan

I don't think Andy would pass up the chance to get another Runyan.

5.  Tony Pride, CB  Notre Dame

I think they'll need to double up here because of the lack of corners on the roster.

What a fantastic offseason this would be. I liked the one from October too. You may be right about Jones. This team desperately needs high picks on rookie contracts, and he will yield one. If they want to stay in good shape cap wise, having two $100 million dollar players on the d line probably isnt the best idea. 

Unfortunately theres still more holes than there is picks and free agent dollars so a tag and trade w Jones may be our best bet.

Unless they're going to fire Steve Spagnuolo and Brandon Daly the first moment the 2019 season ends than really I can't think of a good reason to pay Chris Jones like he's Aaron Donald.  That's a lot more money to spend so they can continue to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.  They're already doing it with Frank Clark with not great results. 

I think at this point the right approach would be to stop trying to fit those square pegs into the round hole and build the Defense up properly. 

My checklist would probably look something like this.

-Let Breeland and Fuller walk. 

While I could stand for them to upgrade from Ward also, it's really not practical to change over the secondary that much in just one offseason.  This team needs to be built up like the Patriots and be able to handle coverage long enough for the DL to work itself to the QB.  This is an element that's still lacking.

If they could wing it with the resources, tell Hitchens to fucking kick rocks.  I think the dude they've got at SLB is okay for being a bit of an enforcer sort of Linebacker but they need two linebackers that can excel at coverage.  Right now the obvious cheat code against this stupid Defense is to just screen them to death.

Tell Mathieu he needs to play at a much higher level in 2020 or he'll need to kick rocks, too. 

9 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Unless they're going to fire Steve Spagnuolo and Brandon Daly the first moment the 2019 season ends than really I can't think of a good reason to pay Chris Jones like he's Aaron Donald.  That's a lot more money to spend so they can continue to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.  They're already doing it with Frank Clark with not great results. 

I think at this point the right approach would be to stop trying to fit those square pegs into the round hole and build the Defense up properly. 

My checklist would probably look something like this.

-Let Breeland and Fuller walk. 

While I could stand for them to upgrade from Ward also, it's really not practical to change over the secondary that much in just one offseason.  This team needs to be built up like the Patriots and be able to handle coverage long enough for the DL to work itself to the QB.  This is an element that's still lacking.

If they could wing it with the resources, tell Hitchens to fucking kick rocks.  I think the dude they've got at SLB is okay for being a bit of an enforcer sort of Linebacker but they need two linebackers that can excel at coverage.  Right now the obvious cheat code against this stupid Defense is to just screen them to death.

Tell Mathieu he needs to play at a much higher level in 2020 or he'll need to kick rocks, too. 

Yeah watching other defenses really makes me realize how badly we need linebackers that can really run. And yes Wilson is basically Hitchens for a fraction of the cost. Once again we see how much ODaniel not developing is killing us. That should be our WILL, but he is clearly not very good. Darron Lee was worth the 6th rounder, but we can also see pretty clearly why he was so inexpensive. 

I dont really agree about Ward. I think he is developing nicely. I think Fenton is as well. He wont start obviously, but he can excel as a nickel or dime.

I feel pretty good about our d line depth with or without Jones. I hope to god Speaks turns out to be a solid ball player. I do think Ogbah and Pennel both need to be brought back at affordable prices.

Lots of needs. Not enough resources.

One thing you pointed out that was pretty huge is the post june 1st designation for Hitchens. That really does make his release palatable. I dont think they will, because we dont have a single above average LB on this roster. But it could be done.

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah watching other defenses really makes me realize how badly we need linebackers that can really run. And yes Wilson is basically Hitchens for a fraction of the cost. Once again we see how much ODaniel not developing is killing us. That should be our WILL, but he is clearly not very good. Darron Lee was worth the 6th rounder, but we can also see pretty clearly why he was so inexpensive. 

I dont really agree about Ward. I think he is developing nicely. I think Fenton is as well. He wont start obviously, but he can excel as a nickel or dime.

I feel pretty good about our d line depth with or without Jones. I hope to god Speaks turns out to be a solid ball player. I do think Ogbah and Pennel both need to be brought back at affordable prices.

Lots of needs. Not enough resources.

One thing you pointed out that was pretty huge is the post june 1st designation for Hitchens. That really does make his release palatable. I dont think they will, because we dont have a single above average LB on this roster. But it could be done.

I think the issue I have with Ward is that he has too many total lapses against mediocre receivers when they actually target him.  They definitely need something there to push him.

We'll agree on Fenton.  Really this draft class has been a very underrated one for Brett Veach.

Totally agree about DoD and Lee just doesn't play aggressive enough.

Pennel is a guy you certainly retain if he's cheap, but ultimately I think Ogbah leaves in FA because he'll be vastly overpaid with a bunch of teams that have more cap space than sense.  Chiefs should absolutely avoid a bidding war on keeping him.

Speaks I think has the ceiling of an early down run stuffing end. 

Hitchens will be a real wait and see thing.  I think the coaching staff is losing confidence in him.