Mahomes and Jackson

If he stays healthy, Lamar Jackson will be successful in the nfl. He throws a pretty ball. Good velocity and arm strength. 

Obviously mobile.

good kid who seems to be able to take feedback and learn. 

It looks like he’s made great strides.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I listened to Fouts, but really was just watching the game.  Down and distance means something.  Fouts' input is meaningless. 

How about Snot McFarland. Awful. Its like having Jim Rome in the booth. Negative and calls out Gruden saying he may get fired soon. Does he not care that Grudens family may be watching the game.?

14 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Not at all.  I'm just pointing out that nobody in the media seems to know what a good QB is anymore...

I've already realized that the NFL media has Labron James Syndrome.  They don't want to hand the MVP to the same dude every year, so they gotta create someone else to give it to.  For me I just don't want people polishing turds to try to come up with the "next big thing" when it comes to QBs.  Minshew and Jackson should not even be in conversations regarding good QB performances this week.  Minshew should be average while Jackson should just not be spoken about.  This week should be about Jones, Allen, and Watson.  Crap like this article being on the front page of the espn NFL site just proves that most of the media spends too much time box score watching unless its a nationally televised game, in which they ignore the box score completely and anoint the winning QB as king of the mountain no matter how poorly they played.

#1- its the THIRD game of the season

#2- Manning, favre and Montana were back to back winners.

#3- King writes for his own site, not ESPN. Its his column- he can choose whoever he wants.

Why not just worry about the scoreboard and the standings?

20 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

But in this game, he will be remembered for his magic in the fourth quarter, when he recorded 148 of his 267 yards passing, including two 20-plus-yard heaves. 

LOLOL, he did that against a base prevent.  Funny how they overlook for the first 3 quarters he couldn't even complete a pass to a WR.

Anyone having success vs the Chiefs D is "playing in garbage time" or "he did that against a prevent defense"

20 hours ago, Balto said:

I do think Lamar has a long ways to go and those two “close my eyes and throw” passes are meh in my book.  Pat has had his fair share of lucky passes as well. But I’m a Chiefs homer sooooo Pats throws are always 100% perfect!

Of course they are!

8 hours ago, Calichief said:

If he stays healthy, Lamar Jackson will be successful in the nfl. He throws a pretty ball. Good velocity and arm strength. 

Obviously mobile.

good kid who seems to be able to take feedback and learn. 

It looks like he’s made great strides.

Night and day versus last year. Upside is huge. Humility in professional sports is a lost art, this kid has it.

14 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Not at all.  I'm just pointing out that nobody in the media seems to know what a good QB is anymore...

I've already realized that the NFL media has Labron James Syndrome.  They don't want to hand the MVP to the same dude every year, so they gotta create someone else to give it to.  For me I just don't want people polishing turds to try to come up with the "next big thing" when it comes to QBs.  Minshew and Jackson should not even be in conversations regarding good QB performances this week.  Minshew should be average while Jackson should just not be spoken about.  This week should be about Jones, Allen, and Watson.  Crap like this article being on the front page of the espn NFL site just proves that most of the media spends too much time box score watching unless its a nationally televised game, in which they ignore the box score completely and anoint the winning QB as king of the mountain no matter how poorly they played.

USA Today begs to disagree....

6.Is there anything Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes can't do? The reigning MVP is now 6-0 in September starts. He's led Kansas City to at least 25 points in all 22 of his NFL starts, including postseason. And he only needed 20 regular-season starts to throw 60 TD passes, smashing Dan Marino's previous mark by five games. Mahomes is squarely on track to become the first back-to-back league MVP since Peyton Manning did it a decade ago

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Anyone having success vs the Chiefs D is "playing in garbage time" or "he did that against a prevent defense"

Of course they are!

Nope, not Carr when they went up 10-0 in the first, Foles before he went out injured, Minshew before it became 30-13 in the 4th and LJ before it became 30-13 in the 4th.

Remind me again how LJ did before we broke out to a 30-13 lead.  Wait, i'll do that for you, he had LESS than 100 yards passing in 3 quarters (or maybe right at 100) and if I remember correctly no completions to a WR.  Also you appear to know a few things about football, are you telling me that you don't believe defenses when they have a large lead in the 4th Q will go conservative to not allow the big play and make teams use up a ton of time on scoring drives by keeping everything in front of them and not attacking to get out of position?  Are you seriously telling me you don't think that happens?  It's funny how you try to generalize your situation just to make yourself feel better.

1 minute ago, soonerborn77 said:

Nope, not Carr when they went up 10-0 in the first, Foles before he went out injured, Minshew before it became 30-13 in the 4th and LJ before it became 30-13 in the 4th.

Remind me again how LJ did before we broke out to a 30-13 lead.  Wait, i'll do that for you, he had LESS than 100 yards passing in 3 quarters (or maybe right at 100) and if I remember correctly no completions to a WR.  Also you appear to know a few things about football, are you telling me that you don't believe defenses when they have a large lead in the 4th Q will go conservative to not allow the big play and make teams use up a ton of time on scoring drives by keeping everything in front of them and not attacking to get out of position?  Are you seriously telling me you don't think that happens?  It's funny how you try to generalize your situation just to make yourself feel better.

I feel pretty good, no matter what.

I'll remind you how LJ took the Ravens down the field on the opening drive, on YOUR home Opener, to score a TD after you were stopped on your opening drive.

So what does the prevent defense actually prevent? Winning? Your offense went into the prevent, not your defense. Someone else already pointed out the Pass/Run ratio of the Chiefs in the 2nd half.

Up 23-6, the Chiefs allowed an opening second half TD drive of 75 yards to cut it to 10 pts.

And when the Chiefs went up 30-13, the Ravens responded with a 4 min drive that cut the lead to 30-19 after the failed 2pt conversion. Then you forced to punt, then we kicked a FG to make it an 8pt game.

Then the Chiefs kicked a FG, Ravens scored a TD and suddenly its 33-28, a 5 pt game.

Looking at the All-22, there is no point in which the game was into "garbage time" or prevent defense......

Just stop it.

6 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Score wasn’t indicative of how much better the Chiefs were on Sunday. Looks like the Ravens defense has taken a step backward. Offense a step forward. So maybe a similar overall result.  Despite the injuries we look another bump better already but Erving is scary. Lions have a better Dline to exploit that too   

To your point when you’ve got a big 4th quarter lead it changes everything.  We were conservative everywhere and honestly a little sloppy too. Human nature to lose focus though when you think result is in hand. To the Ravens credit they didn’t quit.  

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

#3- King writes for his own site, not ESPN. Its his column- he can choose whoever he wants.

Why not just worry about the scoreboard and the standings?

There it is. Clickbait! Pure and simple. 

These guys play both sides of the issue, a lot like odds makers and handicapers. "We'll give you one LOCK for this Monday night football game . . . guaranteed"

Then as peeps call they give one half one pick then the other half the other pick, all the while hoping that some of 'whomever wins' will become clients.

Here, they just want a strong reaction, either side, that makes you want to click to see why you 'disagree with MY OPINION', or 'DAMN RIGHT,, I'm goona go read this article that supports my opinion.'

They're playing a numbers game and we are the cattle that line up on the killing floor. Money, money, money. Clicky, clicky click!

22 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I'll remind you how LJ took the Ravens down the field on the opening drive, on YOUR home Opener, to score a TD after you were stopped on your opening drive.

So what does the prevent defense actually prevent? Winning? Your offense went into the prevent, not your defense. Someone else already pointed out the Pass/Run ratio of the Chiefs in the 2nd half.

Up 23-6, the Chiefs allowed an opening second half TD drive of 75 yards to cut it to 10 pts.

And when the Chiefs went up 30-13, the Ravens responded with a 4 min drive that cut the lead to 30-19 after the failed 2pt conversion. Then you forced to punt, then we kicked a FG to make it an 8pt game.

Then the Chiefs kicked a FG, Ravens scored a TD and suddenly its 33-28, a 5 pt game.

Looking at the All-22, there is no point in which the game was into "garbage time" or prevent defense......

Just stop it.

Thanks for proving this again for me.

Yes you scored on your opening drive, congrats on being one of the first times that has ever happened.  You left out the part where your next 3 drives you scored ZERO points.

Same thing after halftime, you scored on your opening drive and afterwards when you had a chance to cut into a 10 point lead in the 3rd you punted and didn't take advantage of it.

After we were up 30-13 in the 4th, you admit our offense went conservative but your blind thinking our defense didn't.  Watch the game again and you'll see we only rushed 4 the entire time, dropping 7 back and keeping everything in front of them.  I even showed you the snap counts to show how we rotated in our two deep for the front 7 which a team in attack mode and not in prevent will do.

The only smart thing you said is what does prevent do, prevent you from winning.  I hate when teams do this, I hated us doing it to allow you some minor hope of winning.  If Mahomes kept throwing, we put up 40+ easy and most broadcasts are switching to a closer game.

3 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Hands, you keep ignoring it but please explain how Mahomes threw for 300+ yards in the first 3 quarters against your much better and faster D, yet LJ only threw for 100 or less than 100 yards through the first 3 quarters against our crappy D that Minshew tore apart.  

I'm waiting

Just had my reply deleted by accident.....

I didn't ignore it. MVPat is defending MVP- why wouldn't he?

This defense is not playing well right now- Thomas is meh and the miscommunication is apparent. He just ran to open spot on the Drob TD- wtf was he doing ? Pass rush, minus the first series was meh...too many gambles....Thomas complained that the defense was "more complicated" than what he played in Seattle...ok, maybe he is having a hard time picking it up?

Minshew and Jackson ended up with about the same yds. And in different Weather and field conditions....

31 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Just stop it.

Reality is once the Chiefs took a 14 point lead in the second quarter, the Ravens never had the ball again with a chance to even get it tied.  Andy shut the offense down, the D became bend don’t break conservative and we got sloppy. To the Ravens credit they kept grinding, got a few fortuitous results on low percentage plays and clawed back within 5. But the game was never legitimately in danger. 

Really all semantics though. 

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Reality is once the Chiefs took a 14 point lead in the second quarter, the Ravens never had the ball again with a chance to even get it tied.  Andy shut the offense down, the D became bend don’t break conservative and we got sloppy. To the Ravens credit they kept grinding, got a few fortuitous results on low percentage plays and clawed back within 5. But the game was never legitimately in danger. 

Really all semantics though. 

Rear view mirror history....

Crowd got pretty damn quiet when Jackson ran it in at 2:35 in the 4th. 5 point game.

No talk of prevent from Andy https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/what-the-chiefs-said-after-their-week-3-victory

Tom Jackson (noted Donkey) disagrees with the defense assessment https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens

But then again, you won, you feel you get to dictate the tone of the victory. All good man.

26 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Rear view mirror history....

Crowd got pretty damn quiet when Jackson ran it in at 2:35 in the 4th. 5 point game.

No talk of prevent from Andy https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/what-the-chiefs-said-after-their-week-3-victory

Tom Jackson (noted Donkey) disagrees with the defense assessment https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens

But then again, you won, you feel you get to dictate the tone of the victory. All good man.

Again in this league when your opponent never had the ball the entire second half with a chance to even get it tied, it’s a sound win. We ran the ball at a 2-1 ratio in the second half and seemed content to put game in the hands of a prevent defense. I disagree with this philosophy and it helped get the score closer than it should have been. This is Andy 101 though. Get the lead by passing  Keep it by running  

Maybe he learns not to take the ball out of the MVPs hands so fast until the D actually proves they can handle it. Other than that there’s not much difference between winning by 1 or 21. This isn’t college football. 

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Again in this league when your opponent never had the ball the entire second half with a chance to even get it tied, it’s a sound win. We ran the ball at a 2-1 ratio in the second half and seemed content to put game in the hands of a prevent defense. I disagree with this philosophy and it helped get the score closer than it should have been. This is Andy 101 though. Get the lead by passing  Keep it by running  

Maybe he learns not to take the ball out of the MVPs hands so fast until the D actually proves they can handle it. Other than that there’s not much difference between winning by 1 or 21. This isn’t college football. 

?????

And if the idea of a prevent defense is prevent the big play, please explain the 4th and 5 play at 13:19 in the 4th QTR, score 30-13, Chiefs rush 6, Lamar completes the pass ala 4th and 9 last year to Roberts.?

30-19 Chiefs over raven 9:34 left in 4th, 1st and 10 from Ravens 37, Chiefs rush 4, 2 LB's at LOS for the dump off, 5 in man to man coverage (Prevent?), Lamar drops a dime on Brown for a 28 yd completion...Prevent?

30-19 8:08 left in 4th 3rd & 17, Chiefs rush 4, not 3, completion for 19 yds, zone coverage (#35, DB makes a horrible play on the ball)

Did really enjoy the Honey Badger whiff on LJ's TD run....

I am not a fan of Dan Fouts as an announcer....he is just not balanced in his approach.  He was a

Mediocre Playoff QB IMO....

Dan Fouts' Playoffs Passing

Year Age Tm Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
1979*+ 28 SDG QB 1 1 0-1 25 47 53.2 333 0 0.0 5 10.6 34 7.1 2.3 13.3 333.0 36.3 0 0 7.09 2.30 0.0    
1980* 29 SDG QB 2 2 1-1 44 82 53.7 650 4 4.9 3 3.7 55 7.9 7.3 14.8 325.0 80.8 0 0 7.93 7.26 0.0 1 1
1981* 30 SDG QB 2 2 1-1 48 81 59.3 618 4 4.9 3 3.7 47 7.6 7.0 12.9 309.0 84.3 4 30 6.92 6.27 4.7 1 1
1982*+ 31 SDG QB 2 2 1-1 42 76 55.3 524 4 5.3 5 6.6 33 6.9 5.0 12.5 262.0 67.0 3 23 6.34 4.51 3.8 1 1
Career     7 7 3-4 159 286 55.6 2125 12 4.2 16 5.6 55 7.4 5.8 13.4 303.6 70.0 7 53 7.07 5.43 2.4 3 3

20 hours ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs won their third game to take a two game lead in their division.  Why would we care what Peter King puts out? 

Agreed! Not to mention the fact that, whereas we are Chiefs fans and can never get enough Mahomes coverage, the National media do have obligations to cover other teams and their players. It's the NFL not the PML!😜

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

USA Today begs to disagree....

6.Is there anything Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes can't do? The reigning MVP is now 6-0 in September starts. He's led Kansas City to at least 25 points in all 22 of his NFL starts, including postseason. And he only needed 20 regular-season starts to throw 60 TD passes, smashing Dan Marino's previous mark by five games. Mahomes is squarely on track to become the first back-to-back league MVP since Peyton Manning did it a decade ago

Some things just go over people heads.  Hands is so adamant on being right.