oh boy......not going to end well

Aikman: 'Talk to me' when Mahomes wins a Super Bowl

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
Print
  • By Adam Maya NFL.com
  • Published: Sept. 24, 2019 at 08:24 a.m.
  • Updated: Sept. 24, 2019 at 08:39 a.m.

Troy Aikman doesn't tweet often. But when he does...

The Hall of Fame quarterback and FOX analyst will often take on a different, more direct tone on the interwebs than what we've grown accustomed to over nearly two decades calling football games. That saucy side came out Monday evening when it was brought to his attention that Patrick Mahomes (60) has thrown more than a third of the career touchdowns of Aikman (165) despite playing in less than 10 percent of his games (165-20).

That prompted Aikman to clap back.

"ICYMI: Talk to me when when he has 33% of my Super Bowl Titles."

It was a surprising shot at the reigning league MVP, especially considering Mahomes is an innocent bystander in the matter. While the former Cowboys great and three-time Super Bowl champion undoubtedly has the jewelry -- and had the benefit of playing on loaded Dallas teams in the 90s -- Mahomes already has some hardware Aikman never collected over his 12-year career.

The Chiefs sensation has the aforementioned league MVP, he's been selected first-team All-Pro, won NFL Offensive Player of the Year honors and led the league in passing touchdowns. Of course, he's also been a starter for just one season. Through three games in 2019, his encore is on pace to be even greater.

Mahomes has already thrown for 1,195 yards and 10 touchdowns without an interception. Most importantly, as Aikman would surely appreciate, the Chiefs are unbeaten. After leading Kansas City to the AFC's top seed last year and the conference championship round, Mahomes has his team positioned for another deep playoff run. But until he wins one particular game in February, Aikman's point stands. Even if it lacks context.

Troy is still bitter about losing his first college start to KU. 😂 

On point he has s point. But so did Brisco because the MVP is asked to do a lot more than he had too. That was pre salary cap or free agency era and JJ built an unquestionable dynasty juggernaut not even possible today. 

Troy did win his first title in year 3 as a starter, so we will see if Mahomes gets to that 33 percent number this February on the same timeline.  

7 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Yea, I didn't get that either....

But I did enjoy Troy absolutely crushing Doug Gottlieb over his Andrew Luck comments.....that was brutal.

I like Gottlieb but he’s a basketball guy and that’s a completely different animal than the physical beating you take in football.  Aikman wasn’t wrong about either of these statements really. I’m betting his Super Bowl comment was simply tongue and cheek.  He gets a ton of crap from people who don’t think he belongs in the HOF. 

51 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I like Gottlieb but he’s a basketball guy and that’s a completely different animal than the physical beating you take in football.  Aikman wasn’t wrong about either of these statements really. I’m betting his Super Bowl comment was simply tongue and cheek.  He gets a ton of crap from people who don’t think he belongs in the HOF. 

Yeah, I agree. People say Emmit and Irvin 'made' him....BS

8 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Yeah, I agree. People say Emmit and Irvin 'made' him....BS

Had they not turned the ball over 3 times in the first half against the 49ers in the 1994 NFC Title game, they would have won 4 straight Super Bowls. You really can’t take credit away from anyone associated with that.  

Alex Smith could have won as many SBs with that roster. That being said Aikman is right about the SB wins being the measure of greatness when all is said and done. Marino will always be overlooked no matter how great of a QB he was. The same will be true for Reid. If he retires without any rings he'll be some HC who won a few games back in the day. 

Seth Keysor- The Athletic 
·
1h

Patrick Mahomes is so good that after literally 1 season as a starter people feel the need to make the "ringz tho" argument about him. Because that's it. That's all that's left. I wonder if those same people think that Eli is one of the best QB's of all time, or Flacco >>>> Dak.

19 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Seth Keysor- The Athletic 
·
1h

Patrick Mahomes is so good that after literally 1 season as a starter people feel the need to make the "ringz tho" argument about him. Because that's it. That's all that's left. I wonder if those same people think that Eli is one of the best QB's of all time, or Flacco >>>> Dak.

Let me ask you as question:

Flashback to the AFCCG Overtime-

Patriots go down and kick a FG, up by 3.

Pat gets the ball back, 2-3 plays into the drive, Belichik fools Pat and baits him into a throw he shouldn't make, Pats get the INT and game over.

What do you feel then?

50 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Alex Smith could have won as many SBs with that roster. That being said Aikman is right about the SB wins being the measure of greatness when all is said and done. Marino will always be overlooked no matter how great of a QB he was. The same will be true for Reid. If he retires without any rings he'll be some HC who won a few games back in the day. 

Honestly I really don't think Marino is overlooked at all. If you ask anyone to have a list of the best QBs ever, he's almost always gonna be on it. He's not just some QB. 

Actually Aikman is under rated as  a quarterback.. he could of picked up quite a bit better numbers, but he was a great teamate, and did  what he had to do win... 

which was hand the ball to emmitt,, a lot.. 

I am not gonna try to compare aikman with Mahomes.. first because I dont think we have ever seen anything like mahomes.

22 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Pat gets the ball back, 2-3 plays into the drive, Belichik fools Pat and baits him into a throw he shouldn't make, Pats get the INT and game over.

What do you feel then?

Hard to say. Mahomes was SO good at crunch time in that game that it's really almost hard to fathom. I doubt there was ever a situation that Aikman for instance was asked to do what Patrick had to to keep his team in the game. As a 23 year old in his first year as a starter backed by a historically bad defense. Kind of similar to Elway on some of those Denver teams he just basically carried to a Super Bowl only to get thumped because they weren't a complete team. Those seasons by Elway were actually more impressive to me than the years he actually won it and was backed by a great all around team.  That's why I'm happy Veach chose to truly rebuild the defense and not just throw band aids like Vermeil did. In the end, Mahomes will be judged by winning a Lombardi or more. After 1 year when he carried his franchise further in the playoffs than they've been in 25 years only to lose to the GOAT HC and QB in OT. Yeah, that's rough. 

I think you need at least one to be considered the GOAT though.   Kinda of a ticket into the conversation.   I like Aikman and thought he was a good qb but he got in because of those SB's not because he was one of the greatest to play the game.   That Oline was comparable to our early 2000's OL and then throw in Irvin, Harper, Smith and Novacek.   Again not sure why he responded, other than its got under his skin because he's sensitive about it.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

What do you feel then?

I don't feel any differently.  Interceptions happen to everyone.  And being fooled by coverage happens to everyone.  One play does not define anything no matter how good or how bad. 

But for now, Aikman is right.  Mahomes had one of the best seasons ever.  And he might be one of the greatest ever.  But it's entirely too early to start comparing Mahomes to Hall of Famers to their face. 

57 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Hard to say. Mahomes was SO good at crunch time in that game that it's really almost hard to fathom. I doubt there was ever a situation that Aikman for instance was asked to do what Patrick had to to keep his team in the game. As a 23 year old in his first year as a starter backed by a historically bad defense. Kind of similar to Elway on some of those Denver teams he just basically carried to a Super Bowl only to get thumped because they weren't a complete team. Those seasons by Elway were actually more impressive to me than the years he actually won it and was backed by a great all around team.  That's why I'm happy Veach chose to truly rebuild the defense and not just throw band aids like Vermeil did. In the end, Mahomes will be judged by winning a Lombardi or more. After 1 year when he carried his franchise further in the playoffs than they've been in 25 years only to lose to the GOAT HC and QB in OT. Yeah, that's rough. 

Good overview. I think some people forget that Mahomes has just started 20 games...and that defense last year was not just your run of the mill bad defense...it was historically bad. I can't think of any QB who could have compensated more for that D than Mahomes. I don't think Aikman was saying what he said "tongue in cheek". He is right. Ultimately he will be judged by championships. Unfortunately he has set the bar so high so early in his career that those criticisms are coming sooner than usual.

It's all silly. .Aikman responding is just how things are nowadays with social media and the world in general. It was a nice comeback & factual, but I hope Mahomes is tuning it all out. I'm wondering what prompted the back & forth in the first place, but who knows. 

I love having Mahomes as the Chiefs QB, but don't like all the hype it brings at times. I think there are some small pockets of jealousy & envy going around the sports world, of a talented kid that hasn't done anything to anyone,  just played very well at the QB position.

6 minutes ago, qnet said:

It's all silly. .Aikman responding is just how things are nowadays with social media and the world in general. It was a nice comeback & factual, but I hope Mahomes is tuning it all out. I'm wondering what prompted the back & forth in the first place, but who knows. 

I love having Mahomes as the Chiefs QB, but don't like all the hype it brings at times. I think there are some small pockets of jealousy & envy going around the sports world, of a talented kid that hasn't done anything to anyone,  just played very well at the QB position.

Pat isn’t the one throwing his name out there. Troy should know better than that.